Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/273.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Karich,
If you are feeding her potatoes, I thought this might interest you!
I have a four year old, who, like your daughter, won't eat it unless it is potatoes, sweet, or bread.
I am going to try this on him , next week!

giving credit where credit is due:
Posted by NAJA, on http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard....opic.php?t=5883

This is another great favorite in the low carbing community. Rich and delicious with a taste and texture that is difficult to distinguish from mashed potatoes, Fauxtatoes is made with completely Induction-legal ingredients. It's a lifesaver when you need a hearty side dish to serve with meat that isn't really potatoes.

Not many people can actually tell the difference between Fauxtatoes and real mashed potatoes. Non low carbers will gobble this stuff up and ask for seconds of the "mashed potatoes" if you don't tell them what it is.

Ingredients:

1 head cauliflower (preferably fresh, but you can use 1 package of frozen instead)
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp butter or olive oil
2 tbsp sour cream
1-2 crushed garlic cloves or a pinch of garlic powder
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Optional additions: 1-4 oz grated cheddar cheese, dried or fresh scallions, crumbled bacon bits - these can be included in the food processor or added on top. 1/4 cup of Ketatoes is a good addition if you are not on Induction. A handful of roasted garlic adds an extra dimension of flavor, but also some extra carbs.

Directions:

Steam the cauliflower in a microwave or with a small amount of water until it is fork-tender. Boiling is not advisable because the cauliflower may retain too much liquid, but if you cannot easily steam it then be sure to drain the liquid thoroughly.

Combine all ingredients (including cheese if you want extra cheesy fauxtatoes) in a food processor. Pulse until well blended. If the results are too liquid, you can try baking it in a slow oven and/or adding some dry powder such as whey powder, soy protein powder or Ketatoes.

You may serve as is, or spread in a shallow casserole dish and top with additional cheese, bacon bits, scallions, etc, and broil briefly under high heat until the cheese is appetizingly browned and bubbling.

I don't have a food processor, but, I am going to try this, to see if the kids can tell the difference, or the hubby, too!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:41
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I would like to suggest including some fruit for your daughter. The multivitamin is a good idea, but she can gain quite a lot more from eating some fruit especially if she begins to associate it as a sweet thing to eat. Later on in life, hopefully, she will opt for fruit instead of pie or icecream!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:30

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have a 2 year old and an 8 year old. I am the only one in the house "seriously" LCing. My DH is not following a plan but is all for taking a lot of the carbs out of our meals. We used to have potatoes, rice, pasta with dinner almost every night before we started cutting the carbs. My oldest really likes this WOE. She LOVES the Faux potatoes BTW!

I really do believe that what works for one will not work everyone. We have not gotten super strict on our kids with the LC eating. Very occasionally we may make a small amount of pasta noodle or brown rice to go with a meal. They will have a little. They still have fruit and milk and corn regularly but we have cut down on the juice, crackers, chips, etc.-- only on rare occasion do they have that stuff. They do still eat bread but not nearly as often or in as much quantity as they used to. I do still allow them their evening treat but within limits. They have to eat a good hearty dinner FIRST and then they will have "treat" about an hour afterwards. It used to always be large quantities of ice cream, cookies, cake, etc. They still get the sugary stuff but not every day-- now I mix it up with baked cinnamon apple, fruit with whipped heavy cream, SF jello w/ whipped cream, etc. I also try to keep the portions smaller and when they are done they are DONE. No seconds. And of course, they still get McDonalds once every week or so.

I'm taking the "everything is good in moderation" approach. The way I look at it-- they are kids, I can't completely FORBID them to eat certain foods. They may very well become rebellious later and sneak the stuff in huge quantities. I don't want them to end up with eating disorders later in life (both are girls). I want them to have a healthy outlook on food. For example, it is our house rule that we don't buy soda or drink it on a regular basis but when we go out (usually not more than once per week) then pop it is. We stick to our rules about food but also allow basically ALL kinds of foods just at varying degrees.

I do think it's important to limit your toddlers and make them aware of your family "house rules." Just as it's important to enforce ALL kinds of rules on toddlers wether that be about food, bed time, sharing, politeness, etc. Toddlers are difficult to get through to no matter what the subject. Toddlers need to learn that they can't run the show at the dinner table or anywhere.

Last edited by sunspine17 : Mon, Aug-18-03 at 13:33.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I think that is great! Keeping them away from processed foods and sugar, but in moderation. I was over weight as a child because my mother kept feeding my fast food and sugar. Part of me resents her for that, I think its important to teach children healthy eating habbits at a young age, that is really great!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 22:49
Registered Member

Stats: 230/205/170 Female 5 feet 11 inches
BF:32/28.5/24
Progress: 42%

Wow! I never thought about asking the dr to prescribe a multivitamin! That would definately save alot of money. I buy my 2 year olds vitamins at the health food store - the brand is Source of Life. They have fructose in them, unfortunately. My sister buys her two sons vitamins from a company called Mannatech and they're free of sugar (don't know about yeast, etc). Their website is www.mannatech.com. My daughter also takes Mannatech's Phyto Bears. They are gummy bear style but the cool thing about them is they're just freeze dried vegetables so they taste a bit like veggies but Maddie likes them cuz they're gummy. They're a bit pricey ($17 for a 2 month supply) but she hasn't been sick since she's been taking them so we're keeping her on them. She had ear infections once a month before she started on the Phyto Bears.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 08:12

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yes, that's a fabulous idea! My youngest has an appointment on 9/6 and I'm going to ask the doctor to prescribe it for both of my kids. No sugar and MUCH cheaper with insurance-- I'll take that!