Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Lessara,

Glad you are feeling better.

I too suffer from chronic panic attacks and agoraphobia. I am on medication though. These help but I don't take them every day because they make me so sleepy. I have a lot of trouble because it is almost coming to the point where I can't step out the door now to go to work. I also have an extreme fear of the hairdresser and doctors and hospitals. And lot's of other things

So I can understand how scared you must have felt. I too try breathing techniques but sometimes my mind just goes into overdrive and no amount of deep breathing and relaxing helps.

This is the first time that I have been into this part of the forum and I was amazed that there was a discussion on panic attacks - how come you always think you are the only one. Nice to know that I am not

Bye and take care
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Hey Geraldine,
I too suffer from panic and agorophobia, I have zanax, but don't take it much because I don't like taking stuff. I have a hard time riding in the car with others, (fraid i'll lose a grip in front of them) don't like crowded places, and am terrified of sitting in a dentist chair and having work done. ( I need to go). I bought the program that was put out by Lucinda Basset, expensive, but it has helped me a lot in dealing with some of the panic, although I still am frightened of the dentist. Another big thing that really helped was to stop drinking anything with caffiene in it! ANd it is good to know you are not alone.... I have had this condition for over 20 years and most of it was time that I didn't even know what was wrong, and I was afraid to let anyone know.... I just thought there was something horribly wrong with me, and that NO ONE would be able to help me or understand.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 21:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi Susan

When I started Atkins I gave caffeine away without too much trouble. I did have headaches and felt quite light headed a lot of the time. I am sleeping better at night since starting this WOE so that is a good thing.

I too don't like driving in cars, I probably am scared about going to the dentist too, but I just haven't been in a few years - bad me

One day I hope to beat this thing and be able to function normally again for the sake of my boyfriend and my little girl. They are very patient with the nutty one !!!

Feels good to be able to chat about it

Hope you find the courage to go to the dentist

Bye

Geri
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:39
Registered Member

Plan: Healthpointe Lean for Life
Stats: 193/165.5/128 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Wellbutrin - fabulous

I've had good results with Wellbutrin also. I had been on Prozac and Buspar, but I still couldn't take so much as a college exam without throwing up. Any sort of conflict, real or imagined, sent me into hysterics to the point where I couldn't breathe. Wellbutrin and a lower-carb diet plan have really helped. I still get a little short of breath now and then - but no more vomitting or screaming!

It's good to hear from others who share this problem, especially to hear that so many of you are recovering. It gives me hope that I can conquer this once and for all. I'll pray for your continued recovery along with mine. Here's to panic-free, healthy living!!!

Last edited by JolieFleur : Fri, May-02-03 at 09:45.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I have panic attacks too. I take paxil. My panic attacks come and I feel my entire upper body tightening up on me. I feel my throat starting to close. I just try to sit and breathe. Afterwards which is about 20 minutes I feel extremely tired. My first attack was with my heart beating really fast and hard. I too was afraid that I was having a heart attack and went to ER. The doctors diagnosed panic attacks. Been having them every since.
Hope we can all help each other.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Wellabutrin

When I was on that I became this angry person all the time, and my doctor told me I was one of the lucky 6% who reacted negatively to the meds. Oh luck me...
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

JolieFleur

I am curious as to what plan you are following... "Healthpoint Lean For Life"? I haven't heard of it. Can you give us a little brief?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 208/205.4/135
BF:BMI 35%/35%/22%
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally posted by Karsuepas
I have panic attacks too. I take paxil. The doctors diagnosed panic attacks. Been having them every since.
Hope we can all help each other.

Did you have panic attacks before Paxil or did they start afterwards?

I started on Paxil because of severe depression. Talk about a pandora's box... Then I started having panic attacks and went manic (ended up with a bipolar diagnoisis). And I gained 60 pounds!

Paxil is a BEAR for some people to get off of. I'm being tapered off and anytime a dose is decreased I go through nasty withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway... I guess I just wanted to say be careful about being prescribed Paxil for panic attacks (or generalized anxiety disorder). You could gain major weight and find it very hard to get off the drug. Just not worth it.

There are some support groups in Yahoo for Paxil Suffers
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi 2fat,

I had panic attacks and depression and was prescribed Paxil for them. I just went to the doctor the other day and asked if I could come off the Paxil because I was thinking that they may have contributed to some of my weight gain. I have tried to stop taking them before and as you said I too had some withdrawl symptoms. My doctor said yes, and changed me to Zoloft. He said I won't gain weight with these. I will start the Zoloft tomorrow. Thanks for the info... and Good Luck

Karen
  #25   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:08

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 168/155/135
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Re: Wellabutrin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
When I was on that I became this angry person all the time, and my doctor told me I was one of the lucky 6% who reacted negatively to the meds. Oh luck me...

I had the same problem with Wellbutrin. It made me very hostile.

Paxil was what worked for me.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Plan: Healthpointe Lean for Life
Stats: 193/165.5/128 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Sorry Slow Response!

Hey there Osuzana! Sorry it took me so long to respond...
Anyway, in answer to your question HealthPointe is marketed by individuals (sort of like Mary Kay, I guess) and my sister-in-law to be is one of them. It is pretty well-balanced and my doctors loved it when I went in to discuss it with them. Here is a very basic description...

1. You take a high-quality Omega 3 supplement and a high-quality vitamin.
2. You wear a pedometer and try to get 10,000 steps a day (BTW I am up to about 14,000 now!)
3. You have 6 protein servings a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks.
4. After 3 initial all-protein days to get into ketosis you add in more food at breakfast, lunch, and dinner (grain, fruit, veggies, lettuce).
5. There are metabolic adjustment and weight maintenance cycles to help you keep the weight off!

The starter kit is a bit pricy but in my opinion has been very worth it. If you want to know more, let me know and I can put you in contact with a distributor...