Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-21, 10:11

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Seems to me to be another adicle (ad-article) by some undisclosed company wanting to sell more sugar and starch.

I remember an old salesman telling me, "If you can't make a sale on the product's own merits, kill the competition."

I read a lot of adicles and ignore what they say.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-21, 10:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
To quote Ted Naiman, Avoid the Trifecta…high carbs + fat + energy density. Or teaser….You can eat all those carrots if you don’t add butter or cheese sauce. Don"t Eat for Winter.

My food is pretty energy dense--but a lot of my fat is mostly fat, like nuts or cream cheese, a lot of the time my meat is fairly lean. But yeah--if I eat veggies I usually don't have them all that fatty. I think generally mixing foods up gives the body a harder job of figuring out what's coming in, what's needed. Not so much food combining as making a point of not combining foods.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-21, 11:46

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/158/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Noting the Warriors and Panthers and other major Posting symbols, I'm glad to see a number of experienced LCers showing up on this thread. More power to us!
Maybe some newbies will check it out, too.

Experience counts. Each one of us has a track record by which we've tried and tweaked one variation of LC after another, ever since Dr. Atkins--or even before that.

What about Stillman? I think it was about 1967 that my sister and I ate only hamburger, eggs, and hot dogs for weeks. Anybody else have a copy of Calories Don't Count? (Full disclosure: the one I have was purchased in later years on my journey--just for the record.)

At 75, I find that higher protein, less fat, and liberal quantities of non-fat Greek yogurt suit me very well. That combo definitely reduces calories, but not "on purpose." The underlying method is still: Very Low Carbohydrates (as vegetables, not junk). Also (very important) an unrelenting routine of weight lifting.

Like "Cottonpal," I've been able to make my nutritional decisions in a favorable living situation, and that helps, too.

Happy LC New Year to everyone.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-16-21, 06:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ah yes, many of us have long diet histories. Calories don’t Count was by Dr. Herman Taller, 1961.
I have Dr Stillman's book, The Doctor's Quick Weight Loss Diet, published in 1967. What is weird about that one, is he started with his LC diet, but then added dozens of other diets to try for "variety," with such attractive names as The 350 calorie Pilot's diet, The Lettuce and Tomato semi-starvation Diet, Buttermilk or Yogurt only, Cottage Cheese and Grapefruit, and a Fasting Diet. Dr Fung has nothing on him. I also have the so-called Air Force diet from 1965.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Dec-17-21, 19:33

BF:

My DW does just fine on a keto diet. She is slightly over 100 pounds, and hasn't had a candida problem since she went keto.

Don't believe everything you read.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-21, 07:58

BF:

Janet, I love your comprehensive list of "diets" from the Dark Ages of our youth. What's true is: Every single one of these diets "worked." That is, for the ten weeks (or ten minutes) we tried them, the pounds dropped off. Then...came right back, right?

Lately I've been getting a scam email about some tv thing called Shark Tank. I guess it's a silly "investment" opportunity tv show, and the latest thing (advertised in the email) is a pill that will take off sixty pounds of fat in a month. The Shark Tank investors were on it!! This is laughable and frightening on so many levels.

I've become so suspicious of every "Click HERE" that I probably miss information I should know. Never mind. If it's important, it will come back another way.

Meanwhile, as to the topic that started this thread, I don't trust any product in the grocery store that features KETO in its logo. Reading the ingredients is always enlightening.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-21, 08:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

Lately I've been getting a scam email about some tv thing called Shark Tank. I guess it's a silly "investment" opportunity tv show, and the latest thing (advertised in the email) is a pill that will take off sixty pounds of fat in a month. The Shark Tank investors were on it!! This is laughable and frightening on so many levels.

I've become so suspicious of every "Click HERE" that I probably miss information I should know. Never mind. If it's important, it will come back another way.

I get that same scam email. I do not click on any of the numerous junk emails and text messages I get. I certainly do not want to lose 60 pounds in a month or even a year.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-21, 18:16

BF:

Never-Ever click on a link in an e-mail from someone you don't know. You could end up with some malware via a trojan horse or some other method.

Be careful about clicking links from someone you do know. Write to them and verify it first. A hacker can spoof your friend's e-mail address and when you click the link, you've been hacked.

This is "safe computing 101".

I read about a guy who clicked a link that he thought was coming from his bank. The hacker encrypted his entire hard drive and demanded $6,000 in bitcoins to provide the password to unlock it.

Sadly, e-mail is not secure, so always assume it's a scam and the link could be poison.

Better safe than sorry.

Bob
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Dec-18-21, 21:21

BF:

Bob, you are so right! The scam emailers are getting very tricky posing as friends. I’ve pulled back my “click finger” in the nick of time more than once.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-21, 16:10

BF:

There is extreme profit motivation for you to click that link. It could be ransomware, they could silently record your keystrokes and get your bank password to empty your account, they could plant seeds to lure everyone in your e-mail address book to click the same link before they cause you trouble and so on.

Where there is profit motivation, the crackers (nefarious hackers) will come up with very clever ways to get you to click that link or open that attachment.

If it comes from your bank, it might look like your bank, but it might not be your bank. Don't click the link or call the telephone number in the e-mail, call your bank from the trusted number you already have.

If it addresses you without using your proper name, it is probably malware, if it does address you by name it's less likely but it still could be.

Don't use your internet browser to fill in your passwords. They are too easy to hack. Use a tried, true, and well regarded password manager.

Get rid of Google Chrome. It's the big dog on the block, so it's the one targeted first by hackers. The biggest target brings the most returns.

And don't think you are safe using Apple or Linux, they have their share of nasties too.

Assume everyone is out to get you, and verify. The money you save just might be your own.

Bob
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-21-21, 19:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I recently got a third party email saying that my bank was changing over their reward points program, with a link, saying to just go to the link and log in with the same username and password I use for my bank account. Yeesh.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Dec-22-21, 10:26

BF:

I get dozens of mails claiming someone is filming me through my camera doing embarrassing things. But my computer is old, and doesn't even have a camera on it.

He/she is not getting any bitcoins from me.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-28-21, 05:16

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I get dozens of mails claiming someone is filming me through my camera doing embarrassing things. But my computer is old, and doesn't even have a camera on it.

He/she is not getting any bitcoins from me.

The part that bothers me is that this must be lucrative enough for them to keep pushing the same scam...
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-21, 07:46

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The part that bothers me is that this must be lucrative enough for them to keep pushing the same scam...

I'm always amazed that I have never gotten any like that - but then I realize that Gmail detects obvious scam email like that, and eliminates it.

What really threw me was when I was away from home a few weeks ago and got text from my bank (only it was from a different number than all the other texts I get from them), saying there was suspected fraud on my account. The charge was a recurring one that I was expecting, but I wasn't about to text back to the number that came from. I went in through my (bookmarked) bank's website to let them know it was a legit charge, and since it was late at night when this text arrived, I ended up submitting an email, which they said may not be answered for a couple of days.

The next day, I was on my way home (I'd been out of state for a few days), stopped to put gas in my car, and my card was rejected 3 times. I finally remembered the middle-of-the-night text and realized that it must have been a legit text from my bank, and that they must have put a block on the card because I didn't reply to to the text. I ended up calling my bank and sitting on hold for about 20 minutes while waiting to talk to a human. Turns out that fraud alert texts are sent from a different number from other bank texts, so I was able to get that straightened out.

Next time I get a potential fraud alert from that number I'll know it's legit - Just wanted to mention that sometimes you can be a little too careful, and end up with a completely different problem. (It would have been easily solved if I could have talked to a real person at the bank when the text came in though)
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-21, 08:07

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't think anyone else mentioned this yet, but when you get an email that claims to be from your bank, or your credit card, or the IRS, Medicare, Social Security, or the police, etc, first of all check the sender's email address for anything that looks off - such as ~SocialSsecurity.com would not be legit. - first the misspelling (extra "s"), and secondly because it would be a .gov address, not a .com.

You can also hover over the from address to see who replies go to (in the case of gmail, I click on an arrow to see those details), because it's possible to spoof an address in the from line, but then the actual address it came from, or replies go to will show up.

I don't have any scams in my email, but just as an example of what sort of thing you're looking for, this is the info with a spam email from Wish.com:

Quote:
reply-to: replyto+2tnbs1dzvr4qhl8e7v8.2xgzmzmjrcgqvhsk9fv.14.0969e88d~mail.wish.co m