Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 04:19
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauletteB1
Thank you JUST JO for posting all the pertinent info on the A-72 lifestyle and starting this new thread.
My pleasure!

Quote:
I have a comment on the whole WHOOSH theory. I DO believe that your body goes into periods when it holds onto water to replace lost fat. After being on this diet for over a year, I have experienced this phenomenon many times. But I thoroughly disagree with the CARB LOADING theory. It MAY be true for someone on a REGULAR caloric restriction diet, when they continue to eat carbs, but for a person on a KETOGENIC diet such as ours, it is not something to be considered. Pounding down a ton of carbs to promote a whoosh is very counteractive. It will stop ketosis, and then we must work for days to try and retain our metabolic state. If you are retaining water because of fat loss, your body is going to whoosh eventually, and there is no need to carb load! Like I said, after being on this diet for over a year, I have experienced this many times. And I have never carb loaded. Bodies lose as they see fit. As long as you are eating on-plan and not cheating, your weight loss will always be on a downward trend. Some days are up, some days are down, but it is always rolling downhill. My weight loss chart looks like a roller coaster! Here is a graphic:

So all you Warriors, just keep eating your Warrior diet, and don't even think of carb loading. It is unnecessary and only an unproven theory. My chart speaks for itself. Weight loss is NOT linear. It is always up & down. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see results. No carbs necessary!
Holy Hannah what a fantastic post as always, Paulette and an awesome visual too!

And I agree 100% with everything you said about the "whoosh" and carb loading! I especially agree about this part: Pounding down a ton of carbs to promote a whoosh is very counteractive. It will stop ketosis, and then we must work for days to try and retain our metabolic state!

Dr. A mentions this when he's introducing the Induction Foods List:
Quote:
(Sometimes a single stick of chewing gum, or putting milk in your coffee could put you right back to level one by upsetting the new chemical balance in your body. Yes, even that much carbohydrate can turn off your fat mobilizing hormone.)
It could take you up to a week to get back to the business of turning back on your "fat burning engine" after you've thrown a monkey wrench into the works by eating carb-age.

And Paulette, "counterproductive" is not a strong enough word. IMHO! It's like giving a heroine addict a shot of heroine to get him off the junk...does that EVEN make sense??

I'm sure carb loading must work for some people, but after all I've learned from Dr. A and about myself.... naw, it so would NOT work for me!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 04:27
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Thank You Very Much Jo for starting our new thread and posting all of Dr. Atkins pertinent Information.😀
I figure we can refer newbies to the first page if they want to learn about A '72 without buying the book!
Quote:
Weight: weigh-in May 27th. Can you believe it has been a month since I broke my leg!
Wow a whole month? Does it seem longer to you then that? Today is day 50 for me...it seems like an eternity! I hope I remember how to walk on two legs when I'm fully recovered!
Quote:
....She was telling me that they put sugar in the water to boil the corn. Also they wash the lettuce in sugar water for the salad bar to perk it up😡😁. I stay away from anything at restaurants so not worth it! Plus I save a ton of money.
I know about the sugar to cook corn...but sugar water for salad greens??? That is soooo wrong!!!! How would you know if she hadn't told you???

Another example of why I am so paranoid to eat out!
Quote:
Today: I am going to work on house cleaning then sleep I still feel yucky so Rest and Relax day😀😎.
I hear you on the R & R day! I foresee a nap this afternoon for me too... I got up too ding dang early this am!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 05:33

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Good Morning Everyone. No change for me today. Oh well.

Will not be doing much of anything today nor the rest of the holiday weekend. I have zero money. And it will be raining all weekend. So I can't go outside. Just watching TV I guess. My cream ran out this morning and no money to buy more. This will be a miserable weekend.

We have an older dining table with 4 chairs we are trying to sell to get a little money. No takers so far. Maybe today we will get lucky.

Sorry to be such a pooper. But I sure hope everyone has a MUCH better weekend outlook than me!

BERNIE - Happy New Job!!!! I hope you really like it!!! And the sugar water in the salad is something I never knew ~ why on earth!? Jeepers H Cripes. SIGH! What next?
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 05:39
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone. No change for me today. Oh well.

Will not be doing much of anything today nor the rest of the holiday weekend. I have zero money. And it will be raining all weekend. So I can't go outside. Just watching TV I guess. My cream ran out this morning and no money to buy more. This will be a miserable weekend.

We have an older dining table with 4 chairs we are trying to sell to get a little money. No takers so far. Maybe today we will get lucky.
So sorry to hear about your financial woes... do you get assistance from the government?
Quote:
And the sugar water in the salad is something I never knew ~ why on earth!? Jeepers H Cripes. SIGH! What next?
Holy Hannah, my thoughts exactly!

Hey BERNI, wonder if you go to that restaurant and asked them for nutritional facts info if they would give it to you... is it a local place or a chain? Cause I'd be so curious to see if they were declaring that as part of the nutrients at the salad bar and it would be so underhanded and possibly illegal if they didn't declare it!

Last edited by Just Jo : Sun, May-24-15 at 05:43. Reason: Option M: More to say of course! HA!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:02

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

JUST JO - I do get some food stamp money, but only $16/mo. That doesn't last very long! They always go by last year's tax return, and last year I had a pretty good year, but not this year!!! It is a shame they do not adjust to what your current situation is. Because there are some very lean times around here now.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:05

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jo,

The restaurant is a local one. It has been in town for about 50 years. They do good business especially in the summer. The nestle factory is in town so they have chocolate weekends and barbecues, flea marts in the summer😀. Next time I am up I will ask?
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
JUST JO - I do get some food stamp money, but only $16/mo. That doesn't last very long! They always go by last year's tax return, and last year I had a pretty good year, but not this year!!! It is a shame they do not adjust to what your current situation is. Because there are some very lean times around here now.
What a shame! But then, that's our government at work, eh? Pffffffffftttt!

I see so many people using food stamps and they're supporting the newest fashions, newest cell phones (cause they got 'em glued to their ears) and driving really nice cars and you go "WTF" is happening here????
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:09
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Jo,

The restaurant is a local one. It has been in town for about 50 years. They do good business especially in the summer. The nestle factory is in town so they have chocolate weekends and barbecues, flea marts in the summer😀. Next time I am up I will ask?
That would be cool... cause I wanna know if they fess up to the sugar water! You'll keep us posted, eh?
  #24   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:09

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 330/229.5/149 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

up 2lbs this am but with all the eating out we have been doing....I'm not surprised! I will be glad to get my son moved in this Thursday so that we can starte eating at home again. I haven't been overeating, but I have been eating salads and unfortunately for me, I always bloat when I do! No worries....I'm just going to keep plugging along and hope to see a nice whoosh by next weekend!

Paulette - Sorry to hear that you have no cream for the weekend Wish I lived closer so that I could run some over! My weekend isn't much better.....we will work on our son's room today and then I work all day tomorrow. It is supposed to rain here as well.

Berni - Hope you get to feeling better today! I'm super jealous of your nap! I know what ya mean about saving a TON of money when not eating out! I have been reminded this past month just how much money is involved when eating out. I'm looking forward to getting back to the staying home again!

Jo - It is hard to believe that it has been 50days for you! Is there word as to when you will be able to walk again? I'm sure even that is going to take some PT and hard work on your part! Here's to hoping all is well by the start of next school year.

Time for me to get back to work here. Cleaning my kitchen and doing laundry. Then off to pick up my son and then work on his room. Not really sure how much help he will be but I don't want to leave him alone in his hotel room all day today (the GF is out of town today).

Hope everyone has a good on plan day today!

KIMBER
  #25   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:11

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

good morning and great new thread

no change here. just waiting as usual

Paulette your check will show soon that you are waiting on!!

I agree, to carb load for a whoosh is useless to me. Keto diet you don't 'whoosh' like other diets. sure in the beginning when dropping big water, but eventually you even out the body to a good state and drop little fat at a steady pace.

Berni, no kidding, sugar water for lettuce?? ugh. wow. most people don't know that, I sure didn't, huh.

I wonder if that is an everywhere practice?

Nothing to report here. sunny and nice and gonna hang out at pool. do usual chores etc. Hope everyone enjoys this fine sunday!!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:11

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good Morning Paulette,

I am sorry that the scales is not moving and no money coming in. I know when DSIL was freelance graphic design they hurt until vendors paid. DD &DSIL were able to get the snap benefits during those rough month. Paulette, it is based on income and some state have a calculator on-line so you don't even have to go in to qualify.

I am working at vet to pay off colt's vet bills. It is 3000 dollars. I am suppose to get checks next week but until then I have to work to cover the debt. It will also help with vaccinations cost and it gets the boys out and running😀.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:22
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbersh47
up 2lbs this am but with all the eating out we have been doing....I'm not surprised! I will be glad to get my son moved in this Thursday so that we can starte eating at home again. I haven't been overeating, but I have been eating salads and unfortunately for me, I always bloat when I do! No worries....I'm just going to keep plugging along and hope to see a nice whoosh by next weekend!
It always blows my mind that you and some of the others bloat eating salad greens!

So glad you are getting things ready for your son to move in. Hey when do you quit working and focus full time on your ed-u-ma-cation???
Quote:
Jo - It is hard to believe that it has been 50days for you! Is there word as to when you will be able to walk again? I'm sure even that is going to take some PT and hard work on your part! Here's to hoping all is well by the start of next school year.
Yeah 50 days...unbelievable to me! My next app is 19 June.

Asked my doc about PT and he said no cause I have full range of motion. It's not like a broke my knee or anything that daunting. I've been doing a lot of leg lifts and knee bends and NOT putting any weight on that bum leg as per doc instructions.

Initially he wanted to see me every 2 weeks just in case something popped up and he could fix it! But I was healing so well he scheduled my next app 6 weeks out, which is 1 day shy of his SWAG of full recovery in 3 months time! So I'm hoping I'm "cured" at my next appointment!
Quote:
Time for me to get back to work here. Cleaning my kitchen and doing laundry. Then off to pick up my son and then work on his room. Not really sure how much help he will be but I don't want to leave him alone in his hotel room all day today (the GF is out of town today).
Sounds like a busy day for you...remember to get some much needed R & R, Kimber!!!
  #28   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:24
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
Berni, no kidding, sugar water for lettuce?? ugh. wow. most people don't know that, I sure didn't, huh.

I wonder if that is an everywhere practice?
Sure is gonna make us all question the next salad we get at a restaurant huh?

Is NOTHING safe from carb-age??? Holy CRAP!!!!!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:40

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

I haven't posted before in your journal til now....but I saw your older journal and the diet plan. I had been on Atkins but about the same weight since last year.

I started 72 plan a few weeks ago and have lost weight each week!! I was so excited THANK YOU!!! I am sure before I had carb creep and just told myself I am following the plan.But now I eat only what is listed and am losing weight.

Is it ok to stay on the lower side of carbs I only added 5 and really am ok with what I am eating now.I need to find the book I am sure I have it somewhere.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 06:58
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloquilts
I haven't posted before in your journal til now....but I saw your older journal and the diet plan. I had been on Atkins but about the same weight since last year.

I started 72 plan a few weeks ago and have lost weight each week!! I was so excited THANK YOU!!! I am sure before I had carb creep and just told myself I am following the plan.But now I eat only what is listed and am losing weight.

Is it ok to stay on the lower side of carbs I only added 5 and really am ok with what I am eating now.I need to find the book I am sure I have it somewhere.
Hello qloquilts!

All of us here are doing Induction A '72 until we lose all the weight we want ~ that's why we call ourselves Hard Core! We find it the fastest way to do that!

I eat no more than 4-6 carbs a day to maintain my weight loss and stay in maintenance because I am uber carb sensitive and I'm a recovering morbidly obese carb addict!

You may not need to get the book, if you look on the 1st page, I posted most of the more important info about A '72! And if you have any questions, I'm sure one of us has the answer or can point you in the right direction!

Welcome to the thread!
Closed Thread