Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 15:01

Plan: Almost ZC
Stats: 220/220/140 Female 5'4
BF:Yes
Progress: 0%

I was a vegan for 18 months. I was in the WORST physical and mental health of my life during that time. Screw veganism!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: ZC/VLC/carb cycling
Stats: 185/150/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Is Almond milk bad? I have some unsweetened I need to drink and then I will switch to Half and Half or ?

#18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 13:37

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

Raw milk still contains lactase, the enzyme needed for digesting lactose. It is destroyed in processing. Everybody tolerates raw milk.

Oh, and the calcium story : typical vampire myth. You can stab is 100 times and it keeps coming back. Research has SHOWN that people that eat a lot of meat don't have less calcium in their bones, compared to no-meat eaters.

Vit D - like stated above- and saturated fat (among other things) are needed for healthy bones.

Lactose (the unprocessed form) is actually very healthy for the intestinial flora. You could live an entire life on just raw milk (3 - 4 liters a day).
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 14:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Everybody tolerates raw milk.

There's more than just lactose in milk. A whole slew of proteins, like casein, that some people don't tolerate. Raw or not.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-10, 15:43
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
There's more than just lactose in milk. A whole slew of proteins, like casein, that some people don't tolerate. Raw or not.

True. Although it doesn't contradict that, there is this quote that suggests some mitigation of it:

Quote:
Before the statutory pasteurization of dairy milk, intolerance to lactose and milk protein wasn’t as big an issue as it’s become today, because milk’s innate bacteria would assist in fermenting lactose and breaking down protein while the milk was still in the stomach or upper intestine—a process similar to yogurt-making. That’s why fermented dairy products, such as yogurt, buttermilk, kefir, and others don’t cause lactose intolerance or allergies as much (or at all) as regular pasteurized milk does.

http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html

another:

Quote:
Because raw milk was infested with all kinds of bacteria picked up from udders, unwashed hands, porous clay, or leather, natural fermentation was the only way of disinfecting and preserving dairy before the era of pasteurization and refrigeration.

After naturally-occurring fermentation, these beverages were bubbly, acidic, and slightly alcoholic. These qualities made them safe to drink for three reasons: (1) bacteria were killed by high acidity and alcohol; (2) lactose intolerance was eliminated because lactose was rendered out by fermentation; and (3) casein—a highly allergenic milk protein—was broken down by bacteria into easily digestible essential amino acids.

PJ

Last edited by rightnow : Sun, Nov-14-10 at 16:01.