Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Hi Atx2010,

There's no question that a lifetime of HC eating predisposes us to craving food. And while a LC WOE reduces that need physically, the mental obsession can remain quite strong, speaking from personal experience. I find that support groups, such as Overeaters Anonymous, especially if you can get to some meetings, are a great adjunct in addressing the emotional and spiritual components of the transition to a LC WOE.

If this sounds appealing to you, point your browser to www.oa.org, and hunt around for the meeting lists.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:10
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

You feel cranky, defeated and overall lousy because you aren't following the plan.
You said it yourself, you have only completed 3 days without cheating.
As with any plan...you have to follow it for it to work.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

If you have only done it for 3 days, what you are experiencing may be the Induction Flu...which means the diet IS WORKING...your body is adjusting to burning your body FAT instead of CARBS for energy.

When I first started Atkins, I felt the same way...tired, cranky, weak, (I am a big exerciser and didn't even have the energy to exercise) but after the 4th day I just "turned the corner...." and started feeling GREAT.

I would say give it at least 7 days and then decide.
Good Luck whatever you decide.....!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:40

Stats: 140/140/115 Female 5'6
BF:around 25%,GOAL 21
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha22
You feel cranky, defeated and overall lousy because you aren't following the plan.
You said it yourself, you have only completed 3 days without cheating.
As with any plan...you have to follow it for it to work.

yea. Pretty sure I got that.

On the other hand, thanks to the few of you who provided positive, non- judgemental support - that, rather than the above comment, really got me back on track <3
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:52
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I don't think she was meaning for it to come off in a judgemental manner, just being honest.

Glad to hear you are back on track. The biggest hurdle is sticking to it the first 2 weeks...for me, it was really the first 5 days. Once I got past that point, it's been smooth sailing. Just set your mind to it, and you'll be good to go.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 11:52
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I don't think she was meaning for it to come off in a judgemental manner, just being honest.

Correct.
Thank you
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: standard low-carb
Stats: 200/192/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 23%

I know this is LC sacrilege, but I honestly do believe that some people do better on a carb rich diet. My sister and my mom are like that. My father and myself are better off with high fat high protein. It's possible that you are just meant to eat carbs. I doubt this lifestyle is meant for everyone. We're all different and we all have ancestors that come from different parts of the world. I would say stick with it for now but know when to quit.

Quote:
When that stops working, you find you can't maintain because your body is breaking down because of the extreme exercise, you're sick and tired of being hungry, you're done with the blood sugar swings,

He he yeah. The blood sugar swings KILLED me. I was munching on crunchie-munchies every couple hours when I was eating carbs. Now, after my breakfast, I have no food cravings for at least 8 hours.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 10:25

Update:
I got back on induction on Sunday and I'm happy to say I'm on day 6 and things are looking up!! I had one cheat day, yesterday, where I ate tortilla chips and a vodka diet coke, but that has been the extent of my cheating (big deal for me). Because of that cheat day, I am keeping my carb really low for the weekend.

Cravings have subsided, they mostly come at night ( does this happen to anyone?) I've learned that if I'm not craving meat, it's not real hunger, it's emotional and I need to get my emotions in check. I surf for some pics of the bikini I want on my iPhone.

Would like to start a journal here sometime... Maybe today? I'm currently tracking carbs and calories with an app on my phone . Still looking for low carb to-go snacks b/c I'm rarely near a refrigerator or kitchen ... Any ideas will help.

Still experiencing induction flu - I feel rundown, but I'm sticking to it. The proof is in the results. This WILL work for me, I WILL keep the weight off, and I CAN follow through with my goals . I've made the lifestyle change, I'm creating new habits, and learning about myself along the way
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 11:09

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Lots of low carb. snacks out there but if your still struggling with really bad cravings you might want to stay clear of the bars and shakes for another week or so and try carrying a cooler in your car so you can keep things like cheese sticks boiled eggs and pork rinds. I had to brainwash myself on bad days by planting my self face down in a lowcarb book like Adkins. Yes I have already read all of them a bunch of times but it does help to keep you focused when will power is wavering. I have a stack of diet?exercise mags and books (thanks in part to thrift stores) and I put them on the table and go threw them repeadily when the I,m feeling defeated. Its brain washing your self or pumping your self up what ever you want to call it . Good luck and remember you can do this just take it one day at a time.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: standard low-carb
Stats: 200/192/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
I've learned that if I'm not craving meat, it's not real hunger, it's emotional and I need to get my emotions in check.

Damn skippy.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-10, 18:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Well.....

You pick your poison.

If you're happy exercising to the extreme, counting calories, etc and it worked for you then go back to it.

When that stops working, you find you can't maintain because your body is breaking down because of the extreme exercise, you're sick and tired of being hungry, you're done with the blood sugar swings, then check back in to LC, we'll still be here.

Either way, it's hard. hard to maintain exercising to the extreme and being hungry, hard to transition to a LC WOE. No one said it was going to be easy.

There is no magic bullet. Atkins is not a magic bullet where the fat just instantly disappears. Like anything it's a process. Day in and day out. No BS, it's hard. It's hard to be around your friends and co-workers who are partaking of cake, fun alcoholic drinks, seemingly eating anything they want. It's hard because you want to be just like everybody else. Newsflash, we're not like everybody else. We are people who overeat, who have broken metabolisms, who have health problems, who eat for comfort, etc, etc.

It sucks and it's hard.

Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard.

You pick your hard--whether it means LF, LC or staying fat.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Lisa - you said a mouthful darlin' - right on sister!!!!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 00:54
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hi,

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but when you get anywhere near your goal weight, I think the focus should be on shape, not weight. Atkins is in general a pretty high protein diet, and with exercise, you're going to build muscle. Muscle is MUCH heavier than fat so you could look better at the same weight or even a HIGHER weight, and isn't it really about looking better and being healthier?

Dump the scale, take measurements (or pull out clothes that are "tight" in the waist and try them on again a month after sticking to the program.

Mike
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 02:03

Plan: paleo adaptation
Stats: 248/215/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx2010
Update: Still experiencing induction flu - I feel rundown, but I'm sticking to it. The proof is in the results. This WILL work for me, I WILL keep the weight off, and I CAN follow through with my goals . I've made the lifestyle change, I'm creating new habits, and learning about myself along the way

I guess I never went through an induction flu- then again I don't do atkins either. I liked what you said though about creating new habits and learning about yourself.
Since going LC I have discovered that I have food allergies- Peanuts or peanut butter to be more precise messes me up bad.
Like I said, I don't follow a plan. If I were to I guess it would be Paleo- so I just stick to eating meat and low glycemic veggies like cauliflower and broccoli and peppers.
I recently took a job that I have to stay out of town for M-F, which means I have to cook for myself- and I am trying to eat cheaply because we are on a tight budget. I am able to eat all week for around $25. I get a package of pork chops (8 pack) and 2 london broils, 4 bags of frozen veggies (mixed cauli/ broccoli) or stirfry 1 dozen eggs and 2 boxes of turkey sausage.
Since being out of town, I eat two meals a day. 3 eggs 6 sausage links morning (around 6am) 2 chops (or half a london broil) and big bowl of veggies (around 7pm) I do feel some hunger during the day but it subsides. Since doing this way I have started loosing again and dropped another 10 pounds I would say. Well anyway, I am babbling, I guess what I was trying to say is it IS a lifestyle change. one that I look at as long term- this is just how my body needs to fuel itself, and that is all it is, FUEL. I wish I could be like some other people who eat pizza and cheesesteaks and never gain a pound, but that just isnt me. I am 42 now, but I wish that I would have learned this along time ago. Best of luck!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-01-10, 07:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think a craving for carbohydrate might sometimes signal a genuine need for glucose or ketones. This should go away on a low carb diet, because of an increase in availability of body fat to supply the body's needs. If the rate at which your fat cells are capable of releasing fat is outstripped by the body's need for glucose and/or ketones, cravings might result. You could eat more glucose --and shut down ketosis, discourage lipolysis, maybe worsen the problem. Or, you could tackle the problem indirectly and just eat more fat --maybe at your last meal of the day, if your cravings are coming late in the day.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-03-10, 17:02

This is one of the worst days I've had on induction since the day I began this thread and wanted to give up.

I work at an extremely high stress office, and ate 4-5 sugar cookies and 3 Atkins bars. Yikes!!! I'm angry at myself , but more than that , I'm scared about my progress . I made my mind up that I wouldn't cheat, so why so many cheats?!?!? I really do think I'm ready, I just can't get my emtional eating under control. I tried breathing techniques, visualization, water, exercise as distraction - everything. When my stress goes up my body goes on auto pilot for comfort foods. I really need to look I to OA in my area.

Well the day isn't over. I have stomach sugar pains but I'm planning on eating clean for dinner. Not that it makes a difference after those cookies.

I just wanna get under 130 - I know if I wereto stick with it I would see I incredible results .....

Bad day