Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 12:48
Gibbers

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I'm really tired of all the "anti" cardio being posted lately. ANY type of exercise is better than sitting on your ass.
You should do what you feel most comfortable with and enjoy. If that is biking, walking or running......then go for it. If it's lifting weights, that's great too...

Depending on your weight and fitness level, you may want to ask your doctor and not just rely on other people's "opinions".
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 12:58

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Actually it's debatable whether running is better for you than sitting on the couch.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:02
Gibbers

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Actually it's debatable whether running is better for you than sitting on the couch.

That doesn't give you the right to tell everyone to "stay off of the treadmill" and that cardio is bad.
If you have a good debate, then by all means.....post your findings and proof when asked or challenged, but you shouldn't just be pushing your opinions on everyone like it's the word.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 13:50

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Everyone...take a breath.

The OP wrote: "It has been eons since I have been a member of any, and back then it was all cardio classes... and I hate CARDIO!!!! so, if any of you have any ideas... please chime in"

and then: "I always hear you should do a bit to warm up ( Now like I said I know NOTHING about this) so can i just lift, and not have to get on the treadmill or bike??? That would just make my day!!!!"

And I answered that if she was doing a strength training circuit, she should warm up with a set of strength training exercise with very light weights.

And then Gibbers wrote: "You should do what you feel most comfortable with and enjoy. If that is biking, walking or running......then go for it. If it's lifting weights, that's great too..."

To which, I repeat that the OP wrote "I hate CARDIO!!!!" and I said she then should "Stay off the treadmill."
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 14:10
Gibbers

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBug
Everyone...take a breath.

The OP wrote: "It has been eons since I have been a member of any, and back then it was all cardio classes... and I hate CARDIO!!!! so, if any of you have any ideas... please chime in"

and then: "I always hear you should do a bit to warm up ( Now like I said I know NOTHING about this) so can i just lift, and not have to get on the treadmill or bike??? That would just make my day!!!!"

And I answered that if she was doing a strength training circuit, she should warm up with a set of strength training exercise with very light weights.

And then Gibbers wrote: "You should do what you feel most comfortable with and enjoy. If that is biking, walking or running......then go for it. If it's lifting weights, that's great too..."

To which, I repeat that the OP wrote "I hate CARDIO!!!!" and I said she then should "Stay off the treadmill."

If the OP hates cardio.....then by all means, they should do something they enjoy. I can totally understand that. To each his own.

This is not the first thread or instance in which this has come up.

What bothers me (like I said initially) is that I'm tired of seeing all of the anti cardio posts.. yours in particular... constantly saying that cardio does no good or is stupid, bad.....whatever. My point is....that is your opinion. You should not preach it as fact...
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 18:14

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

Sorry I didn't want to start a fight over lifting Vs Cardio.. But I really do hate it, most likeley beacuse I am sooo fat right now that its just not comfortable. Weights I do enjoy, and I think I could stick with it. Thank you ALL for your help... now lets play nice
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 19:03
Gibbers

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Dee, you didn't start anything.... I totally understand and think you should do what you feel comfortable with.
I think both cardio and strength training are essential in achieving weight loss and good health.... but what it all boils down to is what you're willing and able to do........what keeps you motivated and helps you reach your goals.

I had just seen enough of ABs posts stating the same biased opinion.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!