Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 20:45
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 256/186/160 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 73%

I posted on the other thread
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 09:53

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thanks, y0u.

Oh dear. I had a bit of D last week but I thought it was getting better. It came back worse than ever around Monday. And it hasn't stopped yet. It's starting to get old.

I had quite a bit of frozen beef liver yesterday. We had leftover roast for dinner. I get an unlabeled roast from the butcher in our package deal - it's usually eye-of-round or sirloin roast so I got into the habit of dry-roasting it. This one seems to have been a braising roast, though, and while not exceedingly tough, there was a lot of odd stringiness in it. Next time I'll look more carefully at what I've got before I stick it in the oven.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 14:49

Plan: Lacto-Paleo
Stats: 322/168/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've been eating v. close to carnivore since August 2008. I eat meat, fat, and eggs with just a teensy amt of green veg (perhaps 3 oz three times a week max) and dairy (again, a few oz a few times per week). Many weeks I go without veg at all.

I have had no cravings.

I eat a LOT of fat, so, perhaps up your fat? Pork fat is delicious (to me) just sliced and fried. I eat this sometimes twice a day.

Of course I also suppliment vit c, d, magnesium, and fish oil.

Good luck with going carnivore. I would do it TOTALLY but for my insane love of dairy.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriftyD
I eat a LOT of fat, so, perhaps up your fat? Pork fat is delicious (to me) just sliced and fried. I eat this sometimes twice a day.

Maybe I should do this. Much simpler than making lardo!

The diarrhea hasn't gone away. It keeps seeming like it might, then comes back. I seriously don't know how to increase my fat much more - I make sauce every night with as much lard or other fat as I can whisk in, and I make mayonnaise, and I eat my meat slathered with BOTH.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Did you guys have cravings when you went carnivorous? What were they for? How long did they last?
i have been carnivore for 14 months. not consistently, but mostly.
cravings stop almost immediately for me, except when my menses nears..
then i begin cravings like alcohol and sugar.
my cravings will last about 30 minutes.
eating a piece of fat crackling always helps.
it's good to keep a bag around.

I began ZC eating: fat, protein & water in December.
this has been the best enhancement of my lifetime..
i like not having to concern myself with ratios, did i over eat fat, did i over eat protein..
i eat twice a day, about 8 hours between with a fast all night until about 9 am... so my fast overnight lasts about 14 hours..

there are sooooooooo many good things that have happened since i changed from LC to Carnivore.
too many things to list..
(i have a running list in my journal.. lolol)

as CW says, try it for 30 days.. give it a fair shot.
then re-evaluate your health and well being before going back to Oz land...

on the subject of D.... CW says your body is detoxing from all the carbs you've been eating all these years.... the fat is doing that as your body develops the intestines for it...
it'll pass soon.. and some people say they get the D when they eat too rare meat.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 15:14

Yeah, I keep reading about Stefansson and how much healthier he got on his all-meat diet, no problems with scurvy, etc. It's so frustrating to still have constant gas and headaches and bleeding gums. What the heck do I have to do? I'm scared that I have a pork intolerance or something.

Maybe I've just got the flu. If I do, it's a mercifully mild one.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

my gums healed so much, i never had to have 3 teeth pulled and oral surgery and bone grafts and new crowns... my gums healed to the point that my doc was mystified.. but he won't agree that it was my carnivore lifestyle that did it.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 15:23

My teeth and gums were doing great this summer. The dentist commented on how much they'd improved. Lately they've been hurting when I eat frozen liver, and one of them even felt a little wiggly the other day. I've been on this WOE (switched from a 20g/carbs Paleo) for four weeks today.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 17:24

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I get diarrhea when I eat rare beef. Maybe try and cut our beef for a few days and see if that makes a difference?
I know several people who are beef/beef fat intolerant.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 19:47

You mean just eat pork and chicken? Of all the things I'm eating, rare (or raw) beef seems to bother me the least.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 11:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
You mean just eat pork and chicken? Of all the things I'm eating, rare (or raw) beef seems to bother me the least.
Hmmm...then maybe cut out the other two,one at a time until you find the culprit?

Create a food diary so you can see exactly what you've eaten.

I've recently started eating more fish and have noticed my tummy calm right down. I wish I liked fish more!
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 14:01

No thanks, I'm not ready to eat nothing but beef right now. I'm thinking about bringing sauerkraut back.

Today I'm fasting, though. My vegan friend is visiting and today we're going to eat exactly the same thing - nothing!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 17:36

BF:

Don't get too hungry and eat each other! LOL!
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-02-09, 21:18

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/155/155 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandollar
I've recently started eating more fish and have noticed my tummy calm right down. I wish I liked fish more!

I notice fish is very kind to me as well. Salmon is great stuff.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mike, just had a thought about your digestion issue... maybe it's too much protein causing it? Just thinking out loud, I've noticed on Dr. K's diet things got a lot firmer and I know it was the dairy but I've cut that out now and I've got NPP now (nearly perfect poop). In a day or two I should know for sure, perhaps there's some residual dairy affecting me.

Wasn't one of the symptoms of rabbit starvation diarrhea?

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/71/3/682#R16
Quote:
Major findings
Dietary protein was estimated to have comprised between 19% and 50% of total energy intake, depending on the P-A subsistence ratio and the percentage body fat by weight in the prey animals. However, humans may not tolerate diets that contain >35–40% protein by energy. Previous indirect reconstructions of preagricultural human diets have not considered the modulating influence of dietary protein intake on the selection of dietary fat and carbohydrate (14–16). The avoidance of the physiologic effects of excess protein has been an important factor in shaping the subsistence strategies of hunter-gatherers (39–41). Many historical and ethnographic accounts have documented the deleterious health effects that have occurred when humans were forced to rely solely on the fat-depleted lean meat of wild animals (39). Excess consumption of dietary protein from the lean meats of wild animals leads to a condition referred to by early American explorers as "rabbit starvation," which initially results in nausea, then diarrhea, and then death (39). Clinical documentation of this syndrome is virtually nonexistent, except for a single case study (42). Despite the paucity of clinical data, it is quite likely that the symptoms of rabbit starvation result primarily from the finite ability of the liver to up-regulate enzymes necessary for urea synthesis in the face of increasing dietary protein intake. Rudman et al (43) showed that the mean maximal rate of urea synthesis (MRUS) in normal subjects is 65 mg N•h-1•kg body wt-0.75 (range: 55–76 mg N•h-1•kg body wt-0.75) and that protein intakes that exceeded the MRUS resulted in hyperammonemia and hyperaminoacidemia. Using Rudman et al's (43) data (assuming 16% N/g protein), we calculated the mean maximal protein intake for an 80-kg subject to be 250 g/d (range: 212–292 g/d). For a 12552-kJ energy intake, the mean maximal dietary protein intake would be 35.1% of energy (range: 29.7–40.9% of energy). Therefore, dietary protein intakes greater than values in this range may result in hyperammonemia and hyperaminoacidemia, which in turn likely cause some of the clinical symptoms responsible for the rabbit starvation syndrome described by explorers.

Are you eating more than 250g of protein a day?