Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 21:33

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Great news!

Now hopefully you can find a unique protein source or get to the bottom of his allergies.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 09:37
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
YAY! We got the blood tests results: huge improvement! The liver enzyme that was most concerning (ALT) dropped from 442 to 88. Another liver enzyme was also down (good) and a third one was up, but he's not too concerned about it. The thyroid checked out fine too.

The crisis is averted for now. Next week I'll take her to a canine dermatologist for the scratch tests and new immunotherapy. $1200 for the scratch test. Gulp.

I can't believe how much I've cried over that little dog for the past three weeks.

Thats great news!! I'm so happy for you and your baby!

I have a neighbor who had to do that $1200 scratch test on her little terrier. Aside from environmental allergies, the dog can only eat venison...all other proteins had an allergic response. She said it was the best money she's ever spent!! Her dog is fine today!

ps- wholistic vets prescribe milk thistle mixed into food for helping the liver detox.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-09, 20:28

Plan: Dr's plan Atkins like
Stats: 237/208/140 Female 5"7'
BF:don't wanna know!
Progress: 30%

I feel for you!!! I know many of my clients have horrible skin cond. and it really make for a stressful time for both you and your baby!! I have a Boston Terrier who is very sensitive to everything, and I had to do the whole food trials.. I hope everything works out for you!!

Dee
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 10:20

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 275/268/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 6%

I know I'm late to this, but have you tried a raw diet for your little bulldog? Alot of vets wont recommend it but it can really help with allergies. It consists of nothing but raw meaty bones and they can do very well on it.

Some dogs are reacting to cooked protien and the filler sources and don't react or at least react less to the raw protein.

Good luck. They become such a big part of our hearts.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 10:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I dealt with the agony last night with a handful of chips, two glasses of red wine, a small portion of freezer-burned ice cream and two glasses of cognac. Sigh.

And it didn't make anything better.

There you go. Food (and booze) doesn't change the situation. I'm sorry for you and your poor pup but your darlin' goggie wouldn't approve of using food on yourself like that. He wants you at your best. *hugs*

As far as rabbit and other interesting sources of protein, you might want to check with a raw dog/cat food group and see where they acquire such things. They have their sources. You can cook them, if you see fit. Oh yes, there are also some places online you can order from. Shipping can get expensive though.

Milk Thistle is a great idea, as long as it isn't toxic to the puppikins.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 00:16

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Thanks for all the suggestions and support. She's been on milk thistle for three weeks, which may account for some of the improvement.

I haven't ever heard that cooked meat is more likely to cause allergies than raw. I tried the raw thing when she was a puppy but she couldn't handle the bacteria and kept getting diarrhea.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 09:19

BF:

Her getting the runs might have been from too much fat or not enough edible bone in the diet. The bacteria usually isn't a problem.

Here is a link to a major raw feeding group
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Ask the members there about their experiences with raw and allergies. You may be very surprised at the stories.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 10:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions and support. She's been on milk thistle for three weeks, which may account for some of the improvement.

I haven't ever heard that cooked meat is more likely to cause allergies than raw. I tried the raw thing when she was a puppy but she couldn't handle the bacteria and kept getting diarrhea.

IMO, switching her to raw or anything new for that matter...while she is still so sick, may not be your best choice. Seeing that allergist for the scratch tests will help you create a good diet for your baby.

Also, IMO, those who feed raw are to me, very enthusiastic about it. This is just a message board and everyone has an opinion. Use your common sense and instincts when taking in a lot of advice!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 10:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Her getting the runs might have been from too much fat or not enough edible bone in the diet. The bacteria usually isn't a problem.
I know the raw groups say that but veterinarians disagree and after my cat had a session of bloody BM's after eating some raw chicken I felt that that information was wrong too. He occasionally gets a little raw meat but I don't feed him all raw any longer.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 15:19

BF:

hehe
Raw feeders are very similar to low-carbers, and in a very similar position.
- There are as many vets out there giving bad information about raw feeding as there are doctors about low-carb
- Raw feeders are going against the mainstream and tend to be quite forceful about their way of feeding
- There is a great deal of mis-information that is perpetuated by the dog food industry as there is by the human food industry
- Many vets will blame a raw diet for anything that goes wrong, much as many doctors will blame a low-carb diet for any health issues that arise. (knee-jerk reaction)

I don't raw feed my dog, primarily because he has an extremely strong hoarding instinct and MUST bury anything but the smallest scrap of raw. (You haven't lived until you've chased a 60lb dog down the hallway at full speed because he's bolted to bury a piece of raw beef heart under your pillow ) It just doesn't work in a condo. So he only gets beef scraps when I'm portioning/trimming steaks and a raw egg over his kibble most days.

So, I'm not over here saying "Raw is the one true path! It will cure all your issues!" Just suggesting that it might be worth asking some questions from experienced raw feeders, some of whom are knowledgeable about dog health but form your own opinion.