Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 15:44

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Okay. I just now ordered some of this. Same place y'all have ordered from. I'll see how it works. I'll order some of the d-care gymnema when I run out of what I'm using now.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 23:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I got the B HCL today and took my first 4 pills tonight. Hope it works! I hope it'll help me get my appetite under control too. I've got the munchies lately.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 05:47

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

just remember that herbs are subtle and it doesn't always produce instant results. good luck..... keep us posted!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 08:21

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up berberine/huang lin su/coptis

Everyone is a bit different.
For me,the berberine started working well after 3 days of use.
The 12 pill vial is handy for me since I take 12 pills a day.
I simply put a full vial in my top shirt pocket in the morning
after breakfast and shower.I take 4 pills about an hour after each meal.
I have found a few posts on the internet claiming berberine's main action
for glucose control involves lowering insulin resistance.
Cheers
Eddie

Last edited by eddiemcm : Thu, Oct-16-08 at 08:27. Reason: more info
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 10:13
Experimenter

BF:

Okey dokey, I will be patient. No effect so far this morning. 116 FBG But my bowels were a little happier!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-08, 14:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Okey dokey, I will be patient. No effect so far this morning. 116 FBG But my bowels were a little happier!

That's good to know! about the bowels I mean!!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 13:08
Experimenter

BF:

I think the appetite suppression might be working. I didn't even eat today until 11 am and wasn't really even all that hungry at that point. Usually I have urgent hunger by 10 am.

BG was high this morning still. Only my 2nd day though.

Bowels are still quiet but I've eliminated the things that were making them unhappy (almonds and other suspicious things). When I feel like I could brave many trips to the toilet, I'll try to eat them again.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 12:41

BF:

I've got my chinese herbs here. That was fast!! only problem is it's in chinese.

Last time I checked my FBG it was 95. Hoping to get it down to 90.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 13:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapluvr
I've got my chinese herbs here. That was fast!! only problem is it's in chinese.

Last time I checked my FBG it was 95. Hoping to get it down to 90.

good luck.. if you're taking any medications with the berberine, pleae monitor often and be careful....

I think you'll get more then a 5 point reduction though, but that is just a guess... let us know. I think you'll know in 2 or 3 days what it will do for you...
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 14:29

BF:

sometimes too much information is not good!

http://lifescan.com/diabetes/news/20080819elin003/

seems it does cause constipation in some people. But I'm still going to try it. If it brings my FBG down its' worth it. I'll take more magnesium or lower my calcium if I get constipated.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 14:53

If you take 300mg to 500mg 2 to 3 times daily, you're not likely to experience constipation. After I was on it for about 4 or 5 months I did develop diarrhea. I discontinued it for 3 1/2 weeks and the diarrhea went away after the 3rd day and now I've been on it a month and I'm doing fine. I've decided to take a break from it now, as I am anxious to see if the aloe vera I have will work as well. I plan to try it for a couple of weeks and then going back on the berberine...

I suggest that you do drink enough water, not sure what that would be for a person your size, probably at least 60 ounces, but I'm guessing...

Also, in that study, they took 100mg for 3 months. That, in my opinion, from my experience would probably not produce any beneficial results. At 300mg, I didn't nearly have the success I have at 500mg. Also, I used to take it 3 times daily, very faithfully, but now twice on an average day and sometimes just once daily. About once a week, I will take a third dose in one day.

I take gymnema sylvestre whenever I take the berberine and I don't take anything else to lower blood glucose.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 16:28

BF:

I'm not taking any kind of rx right now. Not that the docs haven't tried (for other reasons..... not diabetes).

I took a dose tonight thirty minutes before my early dinner at 4:30. I will see how well it controls my hunger tomorrow.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 19:09

for hunger control it is very subtle, almost nill.... It can perhaps cause a tendancy to be able to go longer periods between meals, or when you do eat, you'll feel fuller sooner or get an early warning that you're getting full, but if you ignore that, you'll easily be able to continue eating just as much as without it....
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 17:21

BF:

Is this a progressive disease? IOW are we doomed to have to eventually go on RX and then insulin eventually? I was at a diabetes forum where someone said it was a progressive disease and even if someone got off of drugs with diet and exercise they'd eventually have to go back on them. Of course that is because that's what his doctor told him.

I'm 54 now. I don't need to lose weight. I already exercise 5-6 days a week. I started low carb about six months ago. Really even before I started I was low carbing by most people's standards but I became more strict.

I'm going to fight it as long as i can. My mom has diabetes type 2 and has used insulin since she was diagnosed when she was around 60 (now 83). My dad's mother had it. My brother has the same problem as me....pre pre diabetes. He's 52 but doesn't watch his diet at all just takes herbs to keep his glucose as low as possible.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 17:37

I don't plan on dying of diabetes or a complication of diabetes.

If I worried about whether it was progressive regardless of my individual efforts, the stress of that would cause me to succumb to the disease eventually.

In my opinion, I am where I am and I do what I can today to take care of myself today, and I let tomorrow take care of itself.

So, really, if I just focus on NOW, does it matter if it is progressive or not?

Thinking from another perspective: If it is progressive, no matter what, do I allow it to take my health away now by giving up, or do I try and maintain good health for as long as I can?

So, whether it is or it isn't progressive, worrying doesn't change whatever it is. Enjoying each day and appreciating that I found something that is giving me good health now is what is important to me, all else is of little value to today!!!!