Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/180 Female 5'6
BF:0
Progress: 0%

by the way judy i am still looking through your journals! it will take me a while

cathy lets do this!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:22
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNABABY
oh judy, pesto chicken is fabulous!! we can have whole wheat pasta though, right? (phase 2 of course!)

While WW pasta is legal on SB....its still a highly processed grain product aka flour, and one which, IMO and IME, needs to eaten when you are much closer to your goal weight.

I've used a bit of pesto to flavor up mashed cauliflower.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:27

hmm- thats good advice....
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:38

i just dont want to be like im on atkins though- i have been on it before and totally went on a carb binge and never came back- i guess thats why i think south beach would be better for me..its nice to be able to have the whole grains
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 09:54
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
i just dont want to be like im on atkins though- i have been on it before and totally went on a carb binge and never came back- i guess thats why i think south beach would be better for me..its nice to be able to have the whole grains

Yes....it is...but the whole grain is not pasta. even ww pasta!

You want to eat whole grain? think steel cut oats....or even oat bran cereal. But even that needs to be seen as a part of your plan....a very small part.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:00

hmm...i might be begining to think south beach isnt for me then? i need a plan in which i am able to have some sort of WW pasta or brown rice, and even whole grain cereals at least once a day, you know?

i want it to be a way of life, but without those foods, i dont know if i can do it
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Nicole, you are looking in the wrong place for that kind of diet during weight loss. That is a low fat/low cal way of eating. Virtually every diet site on the internet allows you to eat that way and follow their plan, but it simply isn't low carb. And while you don't count carbs on SB, it is a low carb diet if you follow the rules.

Yep, you can add grains in Phase 2, but they are very limited. Even on Zone, which is a moderate carb diet -- Google zone diet and you'll find the website -- grains are eaten only very sparingly.

Check out SparkPeople if you want whole grain. Website is free and very active.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:22
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
hmm...i might be begining to think south beach isnt for me then? i need a plan in which i am able to have some sort of WW pasta or brown rice, and even whole grain cereals at least once a day, you know?

i want it to be a way of life, but without those foods, i dont know if i can do it

You can have starch more than once a day in phase II...its the kind of starch that will promote your weight loss and long term ability to succeed.

But it is not and should not always be grain....it should also be from starchy veggies ie: peas and carrots, sweet potato, butternut or other winter squashes, etc.

This is where it can get tricky if you do not see the difference between eating 1/2 cup of brown rice as opposed to eating pasta. one is the whole grain...the other is processed into flour. I do not eat pasta daily now...or I would not be still maintaining. I do eat it as a treat food(once every couple of weeks) though and did as I lost my weight.

I do not have the time now to keep chatting this with you.....so later, OK?
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:24

thanks all for your advice.

i may just stick to the SB book itself, in which it states that i may have brown rice and ww pasta at least once a day. (in small amounts of course)

thanks for all your help, though!

judy i will speak with you tomorrow!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:26

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Have you looked into Shirataki noodles. They are almost 1carb for a serving of pasta . You need a little getting adjusted to.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:29

no, i may look into that..

liz- i might i add that my friend lost 70 lbs since january basically eating all low glyc. foods (just like sb) and had pasta or rice (Whole wheat) about 2 times a day, with a high fiber cereal in the morning-maybe i should just follow her lead?

i somewhat feel like you are detering me out of this forum but i find it very inspirational to post here and get ideas for low carb foods.

Last edited by LUNABABY : Fri, Aug-22-08 at 10:36.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 10:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
no, i may look into that..

liz- i might i add that my friend lost 70 lbs since january basically eating all low glyc. foods (just like sb) and had pasta or rice (Whole wheat) about 2 times a day, with a high fiber cereal in the morning-maybe i should just follow her lead?

i somewhat feel like you are detering me out of this forum but i find it very inspirational to post here and get ideas for low carb foods.

No....I'm sorry you feel this way...I am not trying to deter you...only to give you my experience of making this work for you.

I don't know what else your friend was eating and if it was a very low fat plan...which SB is not very low fat as it is good fats.....your age and activity level will have an effect on what you can eat and still lose....and then maintain. I'm much older than you so I need to be very strict with myself.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 11:45

judy, i wasnt talking about you that LIZ person sounds like she is telling me to "find another forum" basically. i like it here, though!

Yes, I will try it my way for a while, and then we can see how i can "tweak" it!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 12:29

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Niclole, no one here would try to shew you away from this sight. Please don't take it that way. Based on what you have said about wanting whole grains every day, I am sure that Liz was just offering a suggestion to ensure that you are not disappointed with yet another diet as many of us have been. Believe me, I would like nothing better to be able to eat grains every day but as Judy suggested, for many of us it is just not possible to do that and still lose weight well, even if the grain is whole grain. Let me suggest this: Try making the Oopsie rolls (or Revolution rolls) that you will find in the recipe section. For many of us they work as a great sub for bread although they are more delicate and sometimes it takes some trial and error to get them just right. The shirataki noodles are a little like pasta but don't expect an exact match. We really want you to succeed.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-08, 13:39

thanks! i will look into those rolls