Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/188.5/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

okay is this whipping cream already made or do you have to whip it with something for your jello?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 19:15

Plan: keto/atkins/no cow dairy
Stats: 230/217/170 Female 5" 8'
BF:
Progress: 22%

heavy whipping cream pours like a thick thick milk. You beat with a beater and it turns into the whipping cream you would expect. You can throw a bit of splenda in if you want a bit of sweet.

By the way - on the topic of additives. Check your salt. I believe it's Windsor salt that has 2 ingredients: Salt and SUGAR
that's right folks, there's sugar in that thar table salt. I never would have expected it. And they wonder why people are obese.
Beware the sugar demons, they lurk in the most un-obvious of places waiting to jump the unwary.
Cerridwen.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 00:42

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

What the hell? They put sugar in salt!!! That's just nuts.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 03:46

Plan: Atkins/lc
Stats: 152/150/130 Female 65
BF:Bad winters
Progress: 9%

My pre-packaged Romaine Hearts baggie, the one that has three whole hearts says it has sugar. What the???????? How on earth? Any one know about that? Is someone here informed about this? I'm a huge romaine fan!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 07:38

BF:

My understanding with the salt is that the sugar helps it from *clumping* so that it pours freely.
Sugar is also a preservative, so that could be why it's in the romaine that's packaged in the plastic wrap.
When I grow lettuce, and put it in my fridge, it only lasts about 3 days before it's limp and yucky. How DO they make that stuff last so long? It's kind of like wonderbread. I am very suspicious of things that don't go bad or stale when they should. Shop local and fresh and buy ingredients that are in season (at least try to. I really love avocado's and they just don't grow here )
Cerridwen
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 05:25

Wow, sugar as a preservative? No wonder my romaine lasts so long. I've eaten this all during induction! Well I never knew. Today I will search for one real romaine heart and deal with it. Thanks for the update, I just never thought about it until I read the back. Good grief, what is the world doing adding such things to our food? Getting smarter every day eating like this.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 06:43

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Is the sugar listed as an ingredient on the package of Romaine? Or is it just listed on the nutrition label as a certain number of grams of sugar in the lettuce itself?

ETA: I have the remainder of an old package of romaine on hand, and a new package too. So I just checked my packages and the one has it's nutrition facts based on a cup of chopped romaine, and lists 0 g sugars, with 10 calories in a 56 g serving, with the ingredients list specifying only "3 romaine hearts". The other one (a different brand) has 2 g sugar in a 20 calorie serving (85 g by weight), but doesn't specify any ingredients. (I don't think they're required to for produce.)

The 10 calorie/0 g sugar brand had more green on the leaves, so there's probably a slightly different sugar content for the whiter inner leaves.

Also remember the way they figure out carb content is by subtracting the number of grams of protein and fat from the total calories and whatever's leftover is carb, and if less than 0.5 g, they can claim 0 g carbs, and hence 0 g sugars.

BTW, they've used sugar in salt for decades now. If you're buying a name brand, it will have various anti-clumping ingredients in it, and often have some form of sugar in it too. The sugar (dextrose, etc) is there to cut the saltiness (so you need to add more to "salt" to your food to get the same level of saltiness that you're used to), and also help to perk up the flavor even more.

The thing is, I think sugar has been used as an additive in salt for so long that the other food manufacturers realized it was good for the bottom line and followed suit.

Last edited by Calianna : Wed, Mar-12-08 at 06:57.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 06:59

Thanks, not listed as an ingredient, just says 2g sugar. Strange I never looked at this before. Mindless American right? Now I need to check other veggies. Wonder what frozen is? I don't have any of that to check this a.m.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

There is sugar in romaine naturally. Three ounces contains about 2g sugar.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

TLC29: what are the ingredients in your cream? Most will list:
heavy cream,skim (or whole) milk,a few chemicals and carrageenan. Milk has carbs. Your product made with splenda isn't likely to be actually pure cream.Splenda is most likely liquid commercial grade so it won't have carbs, but the cream has them.The label can say zero all it wants. I used to go directly to my neighbor who had a dairy business and get the milk before processing and skim the wonderful cream off the top. It is not like store bought!
I would consider counting the carbs:NET carbs:
2TBs = 1 0z=0.8 carb
2oz = 1.6 carb
8TBL=4 oz = 1/2c=3.2
They can add up fast.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 04:37

LessLiz: I did not know that romaine had sugar in it. Why then do you know that Dr. Atkins says it's ok on Induction? Am I not thinking correctly? I guess I am just surprised about it all. Still yet, I love my romaine so I'm keeping it. Better to eat that than any heavy carb right? Thanks for the information.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-08, 08:58

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Usually the sugar in romaine and all other veggies is natural sugar.
As long as any sugar is listed only in the nutrition info as a carb and there is no sugar listed as an ingredient it is OK to eat on Atkins.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 06:21

BF:

Unfortunatly, labelling laws in both the US and Canada are pretty lax. They don't have to tell us anything much at all. Things used as preservatives (particularly anything packaged in plastic) generally doesn't have to make the label. Most, if not all veggies have some carbs in them naturally. The question is, how do they get the produce in those plastic bags to last so long? Preservatives! If you buy the stuff that is not wrapped, it's possibly not as chemically laden, but again, who knows?
I am rather disgusted about the fact that you can't buy cream. Heavy cream in Canada is essentially milk that has been thickened with carrageenan etc. The milk marketing board in Canada has such a tight grip on dairy that it's next to impossible to buy milk direct from a farmer. Don't get me started on farm gate chicken. They just changed the law to say that you can raise 300 chickens on your farm in Ontario, you can sell them, but you can't advertise, take them to a farmers market etc.. etc.. talk about a monopoly situation since it's impossible to get quota to produce chickens since it's a factory farm industry and quota is incredibly expensive to buy.
Ridiculous and the death of the family farm...
www.themeatrix.com
bah humbug. I haven't had my coffee yet.
Crabby Cerridwen.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 06:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/100/50 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
TLC29: what are the ingredients in your cream? Most will list:
heavy cream,skim (or whole) milk,a few chemicals and carrageenan. Milk has carbs. Your product made with splenda isn't likely to be actually pure cream.Splenda is most likely liquid commercial grade so it won't have carbs, but the cream has them.The label can say zero all it wants. I used to go directly to my neighbor who had a dairy business and get the milk before processing and skim the wonderful cream off the top. It is not like store bought!
I would consider counting the carbs:NET carbs:
2TBs = 1 0z=0.8 carb
2oz = 1.6 carb
8TBL=4 oz = 1/2c=3.2
They can add up fast.

I will check the label when I get home......
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMary
LessLiz: I did not know that romaine had sugar in it. Why then do you know that Dr. Atkins says it's ok on Induction? Am I not thinking correctly? I guess I am just surprised about it all. Still yet, I love my romaine so I'm keeping it. Better to eat that than any heavy carb right? Thanks for the information.
Pretty much 100% of all veggies have some sugar in them. It's biology.