Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 19:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it's a combination of height/weight ratio and your body's natural "set" weight. I think each person has their own set weight at their thinnest You kind of set a goal and see how your body settles at the end. You can't "starve" youself to death. At some point your body, in order to survive will just stop losing weight for a sustained time anyway. Your body is smarter then you think. I think a 6' women will not be able to get down to 105lbs, but a 5'3" women can easily. When you start out, your goal is still a long way off. I started out 148lbs with no particular goal in mind. I dropped all the way to 105lbs and stayed there. I never got thinner, but I didn't like what I looked like so I ate more and gained a little more weight
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 05:40

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I lost a fair bit of weight when I was about 15, pretty much spontaneously, and got down to what would now be a UK size 14. I wasn't skinny by any means. However I'm aiming for that kind of weight again, and we'll see how I look/feel when I get there. It might be that it's a little low, then again I might still be pretty big.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 19:06

Plan: general LC under 30/day
Stats: 225/155/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

The majic number for me is 156.
That was my weight the day I finished Basic Training in the Canadian Forces. (I was SUPER-FIT!) That was my max BMI in the army for my annual express test. That was what I weighed the day I got married. I have a deceptive body, at 5'3" I wear a size 10 at this weight (I exercise alot). So for the last bunch of years I would get under 156, say 154,155 mark, and for some reason panic, binge, and then tadaa! 156-160 is where I would hover. Now I have recognised my pattern and am just taking it 5 lbs at a time. Right now at 150 I am making a focused effort at not panicking and gaining. I have twice now seen 149 and gasped! So I'm trying to live around 150 for another month or two and then maybe try for 145. Funny, DH said the other day 149 is my new 156. So, 5 lbs at a time, living well and exercising and NOT binging! Sorry to rable but this topic is near and dear to me.
Jeanette.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 10:02

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%
Default Good question!

For me it's been a bit tricky to figure this out. A few years back when I took 20 of the 25 lbs off that I wanted to lose, I lost a great deal of muscle (due to thyroid issues and over-exercising). SO, the 125 read on the scales didn't thrill me as much as it could have, and at that weight I was a size 4, but a flabby size 4 . Now, I am focused on keeping the healthy muscle mass (that I regained later) while dropping the fat. 120 was a weight I maintained without exercise while I was in my twenties. Then I wore a junior size 9 ~ still too flabby though! Currently ~ 141, I'm wearing a 6-8 in skirts and pants, but in blouses, a size up or so.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 16:26

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think at some point you don't chose a goal weight, your body does .

The number I have is based on the goal I got to a few years ago the first time around lowcarbing (123) plus a few pounds for leeway. I felt at that time that this was a reasonable weight that I could maintain. At 5', I know it's a bit on the high side of "idea" weight charts for my bone structure, but at my age (38) I've actually let go of this image of myself as supermodel thin. It just isn't important to me anymore. Being at a healthy weight and not binge eating is.

However, I'm being open to the fact that my body might decide that 125 is the right weight for me and I might be happy with that. So I'm keeping it open.

IMHO, a goal weight is one of those evil numbers that can get you off track of the deeper issues of weight maintenance (i.e., better eating habits, healthier lifestyle, etc.)

Tam
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:25

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay
I think at some point you don't chose a goal weight, your body does .

The number I have is based on the goal I got to a few years ago the first time around lowcarbing (123) plus a few pounds for leeway. I felt at that time that this was a reasonable weight that I could maintain. At 5', I know it's a bit on the high side of "idea" weight charts for my bone structure, but at my age (38) I've actually let go of this image of myself as supermodel thin. It just isn't important to me anymore. Being at a healthy weight and not binge eating is.

However, I'm being open to the fact that my body might decide that 125 is the right weight for me and I might be happy with that. So I'm keeping it open.

IMHO, a goal weight is one of those evil numbers that can get you off track of the deeper issues of weight maintenance (i.e., better eating habits, healthier lifestyle, etc.)

Tam

I agree. Your body decides more then you do. If your body settles into a weight (I'm not talking about a stall) that does not pose a threat (obesity is a threat) to your body, you should be fine.

Oh I know there are some anti exercise threads out there. I'm all for moving around anyway you can. If you don't like to jog, clean house, don't like that, walk, dance...just move. Look at all the animals in the wild. There are never obese. They eat when they are hungry and are able to move around. Domestic animals get fat, because we over feed them. We are animals because that's what we are...animated. We should be able to do the same thing and never spend the rest of our lives on diets, fretting about being overweight! We have better things to do.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 12:04

Plan: My own
Stats: 268/157/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 94%

This thread has really helped me look at my numbers because i have been going back and forth with my goal weight . I started at 268 and a size 24 , am currently 174 and size 12 . I wanted to be between an 8-10 and at the top of my chart weight . I am 5'3. So Im thinking around 145-150. I cannot remember being this small since like highschool two decades ago. Its hard to judge the numbers, but Ive also asked friends what the weigh and their size so I can visually see what I woul look like. Great thread!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 12:53
Registered Member

Stats: 165/157/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:prob a lot
Progress: 20%
Default i wanna be skinnnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandollar
I just picked a goal I thought I could achieve and maintain...I figured if I've been just over 200 lbs. most of my adult life, then I should be able to acieve 175 eventually....I hope....some day....maybe....*sigh*

I am 170, and its no welcoming party if you ask me...i hate it...i have weight that will not come off at all..my back, sides, legs...bely..ughh.it makes me wanna just vomit. .i got real sick with the flu a couple weeks back and all i could hold down was water and fluids...and i did that for a week, and when i weighed, from not eating, it was beautiful! i think it said like 160...and i was in utter shock..but of course no one can do that to themselves, so once i began to feel better, i started eating again...but i know coming from the weight your at, 170 sounds good...but i am not happy at the 170 i am at...and the lowest i have ever been at is i think 140 or 145...ive always been big...big frame..my ribcage is bigger than my small breast-esses lol..and my whole body just isnt a womans curvy smooth figure....but in any event, i just wanna say that the other thread "what happens when u reach your goal weight, is it ever good enough" is true...it will never be enough...i feel like a ball of negativity but i just wanted to let u know..that im a 170 lb'er wanting to be skinny my whole life...and have never been able to, without starving myself, or having an eating disorder..and i cant do neither because i will not depreciate myself like that...im happy to hear of your weight loss! keep me informed on any tips you may have, i could sure use them! lol
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:00
Registered Member

Stats: 165/157/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:prob a lot
Progress: 20%
Default reply to astra/any1 else started at 170-200lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra1
Good Question. Since I've never really been under a size 12 so I just kinda studied my body and figured out a size that would be good for me. I'm 5'4 and I've got big hips and I'm sway backed so I figure a size 6-8 would be good for me.

I'm so happy for you to hear you have lost so much !!! i need some support and advice...i too am starting out overweight...i am 170...and i have been at this ever since i delivered my boy a couple years ago...i cant seem to lose it...and im constantly tired and depressed about my body image..i hate myself..ive never ever been below 140-145 ish..i was stuck at that set point in high school...and no matter what i did couldnt lose anymore...well now umm 8 yrs later and now 23, with a 2 yr old...i am 170 and i feel sick over it..i see your stats are like mine...my problem is im short like you; only 5'4, and i have a wide frame...you know...huge ribcage...broad shoulders, short , fat legs, and when suck in my tummy, i have lose skin, from my baby...i just wanna lose all of it...but i dont have money to dedicate to buying books, food weighers, specialty products, and gym/trainer services...just wanting to see what advice you may have for me, since you got to such a low point with starting at only 200 lbs, which isnt very far from my 170 starting point...okay any help is greatly appreciated and thanks again for reading all of this!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 13:14

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Personally, I like to do things in "baby steps"... that way nothing is ever overwhelming. For example, if I set the bar too high, I'm more likely to feel like I'm never getting there and I'll feel disillusioned. So, I find that what works well for me is to keep my goals realistic *for now.* Once I get to that goal, I then analyze all of the facts -- how do I feel? how do I look? Where's my BMI? Am I "there"? I'm not sure if this helps answer your question...
I thank God that I have a very healthy attitude toward weight -- i.e. I don't aim to be supermodel thin, etc. I like myself with curves, some meat on my bones, and a healthy glow... Speaking of healthy glow, I'm loving the coconut oil/chocolate bark!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-08, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 226/163/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. lol. I chose my goal of 130 lbs by looking at BMI charts. My height is 5'3" so anywheres from 110 to 140 lbs, I think. I just want to be in the healthy range.. AND.. I am also going by some of my female family members that are thinner.. My mom when she was my age, 2 older cousins, sister.. we all seem to be built the same, bottom heavy.. wide hips, big thighs, butts (although I'm missing mine, lol), and big boobs.. and we're all around the same height.. and they range 105-140ish.. So, I kinda picture my head on their bodies and see if I would like it. LOL.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 06:40

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

It is funny, because even in my thinner days, have never FELT thin! I set my goal to be about what I was in highschool and 20 pounds less then when I met my husband. I had probably gained that 20 after highschool and anyway, I have people now beginning to worry that I am going to lose too much. When I tell them I have another 30 I want to lose their faces are pricelss. I seriously would love to see 125 on the scale ~ but... my body frame may not allow that and me still look healthy. I am in a current size 8/10/12 and would love to be a 4/6. So... whether it be size or weight, those are my goals.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-08, 22:55

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I finally settled on a goal weight far below what I think most people would at my age and with my weight history. I haven't put it in my stats but I am aiming for around 120. I have never been thin, always had a tummy, and graduated from 8th grade a size 14 at 140 pounds (5'5"). I've lost almost 100 pounds now and I still look pretty fat. I have now a wrist size that indicates a small frame so I am thinking the smaller end of the BMI scale is right for me. I found my grade school yearbook at my mom's today by chance and showed it to my husband. He was shocked how fat I looked at 140 pounds at full height. I literally looked like I should have weighed 40-50 pounds less - just all puffed up like the Pillsbury dough boy. I don't expect to get much below a size 14 with my age in the way (in the old sizes, not new size inflated sizes) but I would definitely not be happy with the weights I originally thought I might settle at (160-180).
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 00:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/169.9/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

I talked to a doctor, and he gave me 2 figures I should always be between. At my best I should be 130, and I shouldn't let myself get above 145. Granted I'm still trying to get that top goal, but it gives me a place to go, and an idea of where I should be based on my height and size. For now I have a goal of a heathy 160, and then I'll go down from there.

Set a reasonable goal. I think that's important. It's helping me to deal with my issues. I'm trying not to think of it in terms of 50-60 pounds it just seems so impossible, but I think I can do 10 or 20 and do it the right way. It sure is a struggle though; isn't it.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-08, 11:59

Plan: atkins, celiac
Stats: 302/190/130 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 65%

I had been fat forever. I picked a goal weight of 140 pounds because I hadn't been that weight since grade 5 I thought it was a good place to start :-P I got to 150's then went back up to 175 grrr now i'm back on my track to get to my goal of 140. I will get there I have to I'm engaged and getting married nov 14/09 and want to look my best. goodluck to you and my advice pick a dress size, like a 10, I was a 10 when I weighed 160 pounds. GOODLUCK