Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:09

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%

I'm sorry. Disregard my question. I just noticed the other thread on this.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 18:45

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 214/214/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I to have been debating trying IF but my question is this. I have only been doing LC (this time) for about 6 weeks. Should I wait until I stall to do it or would those of you who do it recommend it as part of your regular plan?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 19:18
Contributing member

Plan: IF/LC
Stats: 269/222/170 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0203
I to have been debating trying IF but my question is this. I have only been doing LC (this time) for about 6 weeks. Should I wait until I stall to do it or would those of you who do it recommend it as part of your regular plan?

I suspect most IF'ers would tell you to go for it now!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess77
Could someone explain exactly how to do IF?
Do you just limit your self to one meal a day or see just how long you can go before getting hungry?

Jess, everyone IF's already unless they get up in the middle of the night to eat. That's why the first meal of the day is called 'break...fast'. Intermittent Fasting is making that overnight fast longer than 'normal'. The longer you can spend not consuming food (up to 48 hrs when your 'free amino acid pool' is exhausted and you will inevitably start cannibalizing your own muscle for repair etc.) the more likely you are to burn body stores of energy - either glycogen or bodyfat. If you are low carbing, you will already be in predominantly 'fat burning mode' but that could merely be dietary fat if you eat regularly and aren't in energy deficit.

You really want the fat you burn to be bodyfat rather than dietary. IF is a very effective way of doing that and also discovering that most hunger is habitual rather than 'real'.

But habits are often the hardest thing of all to change. And hunger is one of the most compelling of all sensations (throughout the animal world, not just humans), so it makes sense that eating less regularly throughout your waking hours can be a very difficult habit to break. That said, there is a huge variation in the intermittent fasting everyone does now without even being aware of it. I used to eat my last snack (supper) just before retiring at 11pm, and I ate breakfast at 7.30 the following morning, so I only fasted for 8 and a half hours. But somebody who didn't eat after 7pm and breakfasted at the same time would be intermittent fasting for over 12 hrs. We are designed to be able to thrive for at least 48 hrs without food, and our metabolic rate actually increases for the first 24 hrs fasting, so there are very good metabolic reasons to do it.

Many IF'ers find that they can jump fairly quickly into much longer overnight fasts. It took me personally over 3 months to even make it to 15 hrs. But I have been a habitual grazer for most of my life. Even 5 years of very low carb had only moderately improved my need to eat every few hours or I felt like I would die of 'hunger'. Over a year after starting to ramp up my overnight fast length I now alternate between 20 and 22 hr fasts 7 days a week.

My individual experience is only relevant because if I can change my eating frequency, anyone can. And the health/bodycomp benefits of adding IF to just low carb are remarkable, so go for it, but only ramp up your fast length at whatever rate suits you personally, even if it is as little as half an hour a week. If you rush it, you are far more likely to toss IF altogether. Let us know how you go.

And Steph, eating is fun. If you are already losing at a rate you are happy with, then only add IF if you want the further health/ longevity benefits it confers. I IF because there is plenty to do with life besides eat, and IF'ing is an extremely effective way of eating well when you do eat, optimizing your health/bodycomp, and the rest of the time not feeling hungry. It depends how big of a time committment you wish to devote to the whole food thing.

Stuart

Last edited by kneebrace : Mon, Feb-25-08 at 19:52.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 22:04
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Thanks-so-much everyone for your insights; I'm giving it a go.

My dh won't approve; so I'll do it on my work-long days; just so happens to be mon, wed and fri's. I think that's a good intermintant start.

I'll keep you all posted. I really hope to be showing my "AFTER" pics in /o8!

Cheers!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:42

BF:

So, I think I will give it a go too. I ate last at 8:00 pm. Will see how long I can go this morning just out of curiosity. The idea of unsaddling the "time to eat" philosophy sounds almost enlightening! Good luck Feelskinny. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:45

BF:

So, I think I will give it a go too. I ate last at 8:00 pm. Will see how long I can go this morning just out of curiosity. The idea of unsaddling the "time to eat" philosophy sounds almost enlightening! Good luck Feelskinny. I'd love to hear how it goes for you.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:45

BF:

#24   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:49

BF:

I think I will give it a go also. Ate at 8 last night, will see how long I can go this morning with only fluid. I love the idea of breaking the "time to eat" habit. Lets see how it goes!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:51

BF:

Sorry, I was having trouble posting for some reason and kept trying. Must be due to lack of sleep.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 04:34

BF:

I just went and read the fast-five e book and a few posts in the IF link, but I have a quick question.

Do those of you who do this drink LC beverages throughout the day, including tea with cream? The fast-5 seemed like an advocate for a higher carb lifestyle than I can do. I am worried about dropping my fat intake. Also, I usually take a spoonful of coconut oil in the morning. What about that.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 11:03

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm trying to avoid any calories during the fast while I'm "in training" (been IFing for just two weeks now). But I'm not sure that cream in coffee or a spoonful of coconut oil really makes a difference in the big picture. I'm interested to hear what more experienced IFers have to say about this too.

The Fast-Five plan isn't necessarily a low-carb plan, but it's easy to adjust - eat only low carb food during the eating window, that's all. If you want to keep up fat intake, that's easy too, just keep your fat proportion high when you do eat. The only adjustment I've made to my eating plan is the timing. Everything else is the same.

Rachel
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:45

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Where can I learn about this?

I'm still in Induction Mode. I want to learn more about this, for future reference. Sounds interesting.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 17:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I started IF 20/4 (7 days a week) a week ago. I can't believe how amazing it is and how well it is working for me. I was just plain eating too much before and couldn't figure out how to reduce my calories without feeling deprived. What IF did for me is to allow me to control my eating without grazing (which which appears to be my undoing.) I can't even explain why I can go 20 hours without eating but for some reason it is easy????
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 17:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

How long do you follow IF? And what do you eat and at what intervals?