Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-07, 15:43

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

National Geographic did an hour long special on this occurence.

That is a Burmese python that was let loose in the Everglades that ate that alligator..they are not indigenous to that area. People are letting alot of these exotoc reptiles go free in the everglades and they are flourishing.

They hypothesize that another gator came up on the snake and bit into him, causing that huge snake to split wide open..that's why that gator is "hanging" out of him.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

I found this; kind of the same thing.

http://jinjee1.securesites.net/extreme/
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 19:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF (F-5)
Stats: 182/172/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I am sure that the person who started this thread is really glad we managed to keep the subject matter to One Meal A Day--even if it is a very big reptilian meal.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 20:05

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by method
Reptiles can easily live beyond 100 while it is extremely rare for mammals to do so. I just suspected part of that reason was because the reptiles do not risk overloading and straining their digestive and immune systems by binge eating.

I actually thought it was because they have lower-stress jobs.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 20:07

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyannie
I am sure that the person who started this thread is really glad we managed to keep the subject matter to One Meal A Day--even if it is a very big reptilian meal.

"A mouse a Day Keeps the Pounds Away"

Okay, well...I don't see why humans really have to eat three times a day. Other animals don't necessarily do this. How many times a day do you feed your dog? What about a cat, at least in its natural state? It hunts at night and it munches then and that's the end of that.

During the Middle Ages, especially the early Middle Ages, and before then, it was customary to eat twice a day. That's why you hear of huge feasts and banquets or you hear about how they ate tons of bread and drank mead all day long and you wonder, "Then how come they didn't get fat?" Aside from the fact that this was only during times of plenty, and aside from the exercise factor, they certainly weren't eating like that at every meal, and they weren't eating three times a day plus snacks.

I eat twice a day. This has really stabilized my appetite. I feel really good. It's not for everybody. Nothing is.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 14:31
Registered Member

BF:

Through doing IF (starting out with Fast Five--or 19 hr fast with 5 hour eating window) I accidently fell into a one meal a day thing the past couple of days. It hasnt caused blood sugar weakness (and I have suffered from that in the past before going LC) I dont get hungry--and I dont have a lot of room in my stomach for food these days so cant cram a huge meal all at once.

But I do fear that if my calories drop too low from that one meal my metabolism will shut down and my body will hang onto its fat in desperation and send out a message like : Everybody stay right where they are--Hey, all you Fat Cells--dont MOVE! This silly twit is trying to starve us to death and we gotta fight back!"

#22   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 16:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaB
If this isn't binge eating, I don't know what is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4313978.stm
Emma

Quote:
"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild... And here we are," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.
Gee, that's probably because "in the wild," Burmese pythons live in Southeast Asia and alligators live in the Southeastern US. Burmese pythons are an invasive introduced species in Florida, thanks to the dumb-ass reptile fans who bought them, got tired of them, and let them go.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 10:43
Registered Member

BF:

Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaB
If this isn't binge eating, I don't know what is: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4313978.stm
Emma

Quote:
"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild... And here we are," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.
Gee, that's probably because "in the wild," Burmese pythons live in Southeast Asia and alligators live in the Southeastern US. Burmese pythons are an invasive introduced species in Florida, thanks to the dumb-ass reptile fans who bought them, got tired of them, and let them go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
AMEN, Bex!

as for :"that's probably because in the wild," Burmese pythons live in Southeast Asia and alligators live in the Southeastern US. Burmese pythons are an invasive introduced species in Florida, thanks to the dumb-ass reptile fans who bought them, got tired of them, and let them go." All too true--and that's why they found a gator or a croc recently in some offbeat place like Toledo.

Also, ya gotta really wonder where that prof got his PhD if he made such a dumb statement as "encounters like that are ALMOST never seen in the wild." HELLOOOOO--encounters like that are NEVER seen in the wild!! DUH.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 10:59

Plan: whatever works!!!
Stats: 210.5/203.9/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yeah, I got some
Progress: 11%

I read the stupidest article last night on MSN about this woman in MAINE who found an 8 ft retic. python in her washer. The idiots said it "probably got in the washer through the water pipes". Besides the fact that ANY air breathing animal would drown if trapped in a waterpipe, How would it even get in there in the first place (forget all about the fact that the damn snake was entirely to big to fit, anyway).

They also mentioned that pythons, weren't poisonous, but "killed with their teeth".

So much misinformation about snakes already. That was just stupid. I can't believe it even got published.

Sorry to get off track.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 11:02

Plan: whatever works!!!
Stats: 210.5/203.9/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yeah, I got some
Progress: 11%

#26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 12:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I suspect the ability to enter torpor may explain reptile longevity.

I was up at the cottage last week fishing from the dock with slugs I was pulling off this log. I kept rolling it over, and it turned out I was pulling slugs for fishing just inches away from a big rattlesnake. I got my dad to kill it with a shovel. He had to wake it up first, so he could get at the head.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 10:16

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Aww that's nice..killing a rattlesnake that wasn't hurting anybody..I just don't get it. Why not leave it alone or wait for it to leave because once it senses you, it is scared to death that you may want to eat him or her.

A rattlesnake will bite when it feels threatened or in danger. They do not want to bite. They want to save that precious venom for hunting..though some bites are "dry" with no venom.

In the hundreds of rattlesnakes I have encountered, all have tried to get away from me..only when I try to 'work" with it to get my photos do they defend themselves and become aggressive.

But most peoples first reaction is to kill it..while they are in their habitat that we are encroaching..
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 11:48

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Primates may have an innate reaction to snakes. An early reference of course is Genesis in a creation story. Another fascinating story a few Sundays ago reports that Rattlesnakes in the Southwest are becoming more toxic. Revenge?
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-08, 15:59

Plan: my own
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I got my dad to kill it with a shovel.
What a shame.

If you don't want to divulge your location or whatever, OK, but if you PM me whereabouts your cottage is, I'd like to see if there's an organization in that area that will come out there (next time) and remove rattlesnakes for you without killing them. There are many groups that do this, maybe I can find a phone number for you.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-08, 05:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Like it or not, the earth belongs to man. We have a lot of small children running around. To me, their mother's peace of mind is worth a rattlesnake or two.