Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 17:31

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by natgab06
also i noticed a lot of rude people on here. its like one thing i say and they attack me.

Why are SO quick to call people rude? I just don't get it. All I've seen of your threads is people empathizing, sympathizing and encouraging, pretty much with kid gloves. How about taking it easy, and first assuming no one is trying to upset you? Otherwise you'll get too worked up to post much and others will be too afraid to respond if you do.

You're right about the eating plan - you get out of it what you put into it. Giving up sugar, adding vegetables and getting enough to eat are good ways to help your current progress along.

There's a forum here for LC parents, where a lot of new mothers and mothers-to-be post about their issues. It may be useful to check it out if you haven't already; http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 18:07
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
Speaking as someone else who still sometimes has difficulty figuring out how to get around the forum, maybe my settings are different than yours, Judy. The only threads which show up on the screen when I click on my user control panel are those which I have specifically asked to subscribe to. (for example, there will be no record in my UCP of this particular post)

So I can see how someone could forget that they had asked a question elesewhere....even someone much younger than I.

Kay

Hmmmm, I'm not sure what you're referring to Kay, because I know that any thread that I post to or thread that I start, appears in my list of subscribed threads in my User CP when any post to them is made.

There seems to be some confusion on this issue..... and just for the record, I was trying to help and was not criticizing natgab.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 228/228/170 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

im going to try to answer to all the post. here i go.
madmori: i can understand that some of you get tired of havign to read new people say how hard it is. i have been part of a pregnancy and birth/ parenting forum since the day i found out i was pregnant and when i read woman who are now pregnant the same thing over and over again i get a lil tired too. but you know what? i was once in her shoes, so i dont care how tired i am, i will not be rude. just how now you sit there and get a lil tired of reading how on day 2 im tired, well i bet you were tired on day 2. and im sure that behind me, you will find a lot of people say how tired and how hard it is on day 2 3 or even 7. maybe you just shouldnt read. im sorry but i do not agree with what you said. you believe in this lifestyle? ok fine, im not saying dont. im here because im trying to believe in it. but just how it worked out for you, it might not for me.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 18:56
Registered Member

BF:

sanfar thank you so much.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

tmatrocks, a little rude...you are right do it or not do it.
i decided i no longer need to be part of this forum.

thanks to all the ones who were kind enough to try and walk me tru this.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 19:54

Plan: Non specific
Stats: 189/157.8/137 Female 66 inches
BF:37.8%/27?/23
Progress: 60%

My goodness. Oh well. I can't imagine she'll find a more supportive group of people out there. I think just about everyone here is wonderful!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 20:01

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hey, don't let folks run you off! There are some fab folks here that have so much to offer! When I first came on board I went through some of the same frustrations and also found, and still do, find some folks on here to be rude! Solution? I just avoid and/or ignore them! JudyNYC, for instance, is one of the best you will run into around here! She has done more than well on this WOE and I am just so proud of her because she didn't fall off the wagon like I did! One thing I have learned is that everyone loses differently! What works for one may not work for another! For instance, I took a lot of heat because I wouldn't give up my coffee! No way was I going to drink decaf! So, I still use coffee mate and switched to splenda and oh my gosh, I have got to top it off with Land O Lakes Whipped Cream sweetened with splenda! I also don't limit myself to just one cup! I am an addict and dog gone it I refuse to have to give up everything! So, maybe it took a bit longer to lose 160 pounds but I did it! So, don't give up your coffee! Just replace the evil sugar with yummy splenda! And you have got to try the whipped cream! Anyhow, don't let all this keep you from doing what you know you need to do! There are some folks on here that have a lot to offer and I would focus on that and keep away from the negative and just ignore postings that upset you!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 21:13

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by natgab06
im going to try to answer to all the post. here i go.
madmori: i can understand that some of you get tired of havign to read new people say how hard it is. i have been part of a pregnancy and birth/ parenting forum since the day i found out i was pregnant and when i read woman who are now pregnant the same thing over and over again i get a lil tired too. but you know what? i was once in her shoes, so i dont care how tired i am, i will not be rude. just how now you sit there and get a lil tired of reading how on day 2 im tired, well i bet you were tired on day 2. and im sure that behind me, you will find a lot of people say how tired and how hard it is on day 2 3 or even 7. maybe you just shouldnt read. im sorry but i do not agree with what you said. you believe in this lifestyle? ok fine, im not saying dont. im here because im trying to believe in it. but just how it worked out for you, it might not for me.

at this point, i'm not even sure if this post is worth it, but i'll throw it out there just in case.

nat, there's absolutely nothing wrong with your newbie questions. yes, we all had questions when we started out. yes, we all got tired the first few days and then worked through it. yes, we know what you've been through and what your body is going through and what you can expect down the road.

we've offered you support, advice, and suggestions, and yet when someone posts something that's simply direct or analytical, you call it rude. it's baffling and disconcerting to offer help to someone just to be snubbed because you didn't like the way something was phrased, or you chose to take it as an attack. so for as much as we want to give you the guidance you need, we can't do it all for you, and continuing to call people rude just means that some of us may not be as willing to help the next time.

somewhere, somehow, you're going to have to find it within yourself to make the commitment to stick with this. it wouldn't matter if it was lowcarb, weight watchers, jenny craig, the grapefruit diet, or intermittent fasting... pick your weight loss plan, all of them take dedication. sometimes that takes more soul-searching than people are willing to do.

people are not always going to treat you in exactly the way you want to be treated, especially when they meet you for the first time. i have no desire to change how i give someone advice, and nobody in the world should expect me to. they can either read and understand what i'm saying, or they can ignore it... ultimately they need to do what's going to work for them. if you feel you need to be in a place where everyone is treated with soft, down-filled kid gloves, then you need to do what's going to work for you.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 21:41
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey there - I hope you don't leave bc you feel a few people were a bit harsh. I've responded to you in other threads of yours and so have many others, and we really want to help you out. You have a lot on your plate - no pun intended - and it really helps to have support, even if it is support from invisible internet people!

Maybe now isn't the best time for you to do official Atkins. That's okay! I started out just cutting carbs back gradually, then more and more. You could even pick one thing - the sugar in your coffee, for example - and cut that out for a few days, or a week. Then the next week, cut out something else. Do it in a way that works for you. No, you won't see much in the way of weight loss, but you WILL be changing habits, and that's HUGE and a crucial ingredient to success. When you're ready to try an official plan, like Atkins, you'll already be used to lower carb and it'll be all the easier.

Just a suggestion!

It helps too to start a journal here. It can be private, I think (?) or public, so others can visit and lend their support and advice. Might be a good way to start out.

There can be some tough love here sometimes...it's not personal. Really.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-07, 23:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
One thing I have learned is that everyone loses differently! What works for one may not work for another! For instance, I took a lot of heat because I wouldn't give up my coffee! No way was I going to drink decaf!
Me, neither! Sometimes you just have to take a principled stand.

But. Seriously. Whether Nat is gone or not, I think there needs to be some serious consideration of the hypersensitivity that's been going on lately. And that would be on both sides: newcomers and long-standing forum members. Sheesh. This is starting to feel like a marriage gone bad, where no one can say anything without it being interpreted in the worst possible way.

Is it possible that we could just give ourselves a shake here and lighten up a bit? A picture is worth a thousand words - a good laugh, infinitely more.

C'mon, folks - this has been a good place, full of great support, camaraderie, and good nature. I'd hate to see that change.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 04:52
Registered Member

BF:

i came on here today because i wanted to give everyone the chance to respond to my last post. i just want to thank the ones who understand where im coming from, the ones who dont, and think im making no sence, well im sorry. i have gotten a lot of rude answer's and know i come to find out its because im new to the diet and they feel tired of having to read new people say how hard it is on day 2. i feel like if this is a support group, you should give the support no matter what. im not a kid, and i dont expect to be talked to like one, but i sure dont want someone to mistreat me, just because they answerd my question a million times b4 to other new people. am i sensitive? well maybe, doesnt really matter.
i do not know if this is the lifestyle for me, just like you come on here and read all the people say how they did it, you hear people who have been on it and it didnt work out. last nite i did a lot of research. like waywardsis said, maybe i just need to start off cutting some things. actually in my eyes i was doing pretty well..the only thing i was messing up was on the sugar in the coffee. there was no need for someone to attack me, telling me: you either do atkins or you dont, you cant do it half way. i mean yes that is the truth, but sometimes when you are reading things, you cant hear the person..for my ears it was rude.
i think some of you gave me some good advice and i thank you for that. its just sad that you really try to do something and you trust people you dont know to help you get tru it and then you feel attacked. maybe im an idiot, but i was a little hurt lastnte.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 05:27

BF:

Trust me when I say you are not an idiot! No one should be made to feel as though they are an idiot! I am so sorry you are not finding the support you need here and I do hope it improves. All I can advise is that you ignore the upsetting posts and eventually they will go away! As far as whether Atkins is right for you or not...read JudyNYC's journal and see if perhaps South Beach is more your pace! She has had wonderful success on it and I know she used to post her eating menus so it should be a wealth of info for you! Actually, even though I lost 160 on Atkins...I have kept 150 of it off since April...I am considering South Beach! I just don't think I can go as low carb as I did on Atkins! I am trying to read the book and also go back over Judy's journal!

Anyhow, don't forget it's only been 6 months since you had the baby so your body is going through lots of adjustments and losing weight isn't going to be as easy perhaps if you had the baby 6 years ago! So, don't get discouraged if you don't lose at a fast pace! Remember this is all about a new way of eating for life and if you stay with the program with a mim of cheats then you will lose that weight! Just wait until your child is crawling! You won't need to workout then!

Oh yes...if you don't feel like or have time to respond to posts then don't stress on it and don't let anyone else make you feel badly about it! THere is more than enough room for all the posts in the world and if someone doesn't want to read yet another newbie post then they have the option of not clicking on it! THe lovely thing about a forum like this is you can post questions all day long if you want...some will be answered and some won't! Just find folks to interact with that can give you the positive support you so need and ignore the negatives...unfortunately the world is full of negatives and we have to learn to deal with and /or ignore them! You take care and enjoy that adorable baby! They grow way too fast! My baby is 22 years old now!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 05:39

BF:

Oh yes....I am sitting at my computer drinking a huge cup of coffee with splenda and three...yes THREE spoons of Coffee Mate! Oh, and don't forget that I top mine off with Splenda sweetened Land O Lake Whipped Cream from a can! And, I did so throughout the entire time I low carbed and it didn't keep me from losing weight! Oh...another secret! This one really got me in trouble ! A buddy of mine from New Zealand...KiwiGal, and I indulged several times a week in huge bowls of popcorn popped in olive oil and topped with unsalted butter...real butter! So, as you can see...you don't have to eat perfect to lose the weight and for this lifestyle to work! I think they key thing for me was that I avoided sugar and flour like the plague! I read every label and if I saw those two words or if I couldn't pronounce an ingredient then I didn't use it...except for the creamer and diet caffiene free cokes! So, just remember to take baby steps! You are a strong woman and you can do this! Don't let a few negative posters stop you from doing what I know you can do and that is to lose your weight! Sometimes folks get so caught up in their new knowledge that they get overly enthusiastic and forget what it's like to be the new kid on the block even though it looks like they are fairly new to this as well! Maybe they don't realize the tone coming through on their posts and honestly think they are helping but then some feel tough love is the way to go! I honestly don't believe in the tough love approach and feel that as a whole that this forum is a caring and supportive place to be and there are some veterans around here that you can turn to that will totally be there for you as you find your way through the beginning of this journey!

Oops...I am gonna be late for work! Gotta go! Hang in there and you will get the results you seek! Just remember it takes baby steps and it takes time!!!!!!!!! Now go read up on Judy NYC! I think you will learn a lot there!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...026#post6586026
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 05:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/176 Female 177cm
BF:47%/42%/30%
Progress: 35%

Hey GIRL!

I've posted a reply on your initial post - I am soooo upset that a few people on here have made you feel so bad, that you are thinking of leaving!

DONT LEAVE - there are many of us (just check all the positive replies) that are looking out for each other and want you to stay and make a success of this.

JUST IGNORE people whom you think are nasty to you -- don't even bother writing back to them... because you're wasting precious time that you could have spent reading all the good, friendly advice.

You have a right to feel MISERABLE, CRAPPY, DEMOTIVATED and NEGATIVE... thats EXACTLY what the forum is for -- we want to cheer each other up and offer advice and support.

Anyway - why don't you start a journal -- that way, you can be supportd on a DAILY basis, by looking at what you're eating and what your problems are and offering advice and ideas so you take it ONE DAY AT A TIME??
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-07, 05:48
Registered Member

BF:

misssfruf: thank you so so so so much for your post, you have no idea how good you made me feel this morning. i will so take your advice.
and yes my baby is growing so fast i cant believe she is 6 months already,seems like yesterday when i was in the delivery room.
have a great day at work, be safe.!