Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 06:11

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I had mine pierced at 27 - do what you feel is right for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryBlain
Alright, so I've hit goal and my body is transformed.

Like many, all of my life I have been fat. During my teens I jealously looked on as all of the little itty bitties got their belly buttons pierced. It may seem ugly or skanky to some, but little bejeweled bellies always were the epitome of being slender. I used to stare forlornly at those glittering little hoops in the tan abdomens of girls at the beach. I've always wanted one, but a navel piercing would have looked more like a truck hitch than dainty.

Well, I'm going to be at Myrtle Beach and Panama City Beach for the duration of July and I've been toying with the idea of getting a navel piercing. I have two bikinis that I am proud to wear for the first time in my life--no more of this embarrassed covering up stuff! I may not have the abs of Halle Berry, but my stomach is the flattest it's ever been in my life.

So I guess my question is...am I too old for a navel ring? I sort of figure this is the only time in my life I'll be able to get it. I'm still "young" by most standards (23), but I am a professional career-wise. I figure that after kids there will be no hope for a belly jewel, so the time is now.

What do you kind folks think?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 06:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I am 42. Gawd, it still hurts to say that!! I got my belly button pierced 2 years ago, and have never regretted it!! I LOVE it, and it is such a naughty secret. I also got a lower back tattoo last year! I Love having them, and it is such a surprise to people if they ever find out! My kids (15 and 16) think I am so cool!! Get it done. Just know it takes about 9 months to heal! It didn't hurt me at all. I tell all of my friends who say they are going through a mid-life crisis to get it done.

Last edited by 3shewolf8 : Mon, Jul-03-06 at 06:42. Reason: spelling
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 18:40

Stats: 225/143/155 Female 5'10''
BF:38%/21.4%/24.9%
Progress: 117%

Looks like I better start doing more ab work!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 19:46

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have mixed feelings about that. I won't mutilate by body in any way. I don't even have pierced ears. Many people like to do it, so if you want to.... I can't help but think you only want to do it, becasue you sat in the back ground and watched other girls do it. You do something because you want to do it, not because other people do it.

Also about a bikini. Why? A one piece suit and a tankini are more flattering to bodies. You have to have a near perfect body to pull off a bikini. Anyway....you want to do it and so who am I to tell not to eh?
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 19:51
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I say go for it! You ARE young, and I bet you look great in that bikini, so I say show off a bit!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 23:13
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

Tragus?

And get the piercing!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-03-06, 23:29

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
You have to have a near perfect body to pull off a bikini.

Have you seen Amory? I think she'll be just fine!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 04:11

Aww Blondie, you made me blush! Thank you.

As far as the bikini versus tankini versus one piece suit...I don't want to ever have to wear a one piece again. That was a mini vow that I made to myself once I started looking decent in tankinis. Now I don't want to wear a tankini anymore, either. It's just a personal preference. It's like bathing suit graduation--progressing to each skimpier style is symbolic of my weightloss milestones and years of self-promises. And when I say bikini, I'm not talking about stringy triangles and butt floss. I'm talking about a supportive halter style top and scoop bottoms--the Bo Derek and Paris Hilton look is not for me!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 05:40

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I say go for it! If thats what you want!!!

Congrats Amory...youve done very well...
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 06:34

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 364/316/175 Male 5"10
BF:Not for long
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryBlain
Nikkil--yes, I teach high school English grades 9-11. It's a trip, believe me! When I first met my fiance, his favorite thing to tell his Army buddies was that he was dating an English teacher. I'm not sure what the stigma is, but I guess I'm supposed to look bookish and nerdy?

And here i was hoping you didn't have a boyfriend. And yes, get it pierced.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 08:38

YORK!

I've been getting PM's like crazy from women slighter older than I am, telling me to get it pierced if I want. Too bad we don't all live near one another--we could go together and have a very ritualistic Atkins victory piercing session.

As far as viewing piercing as mutilation; I don't. I know that some do, but I've always viewed the body as a blank canvas; it's an individual medium for expression. Body piercing isn't new, either. Its practice has been around since ancient times in many tribes throughout the world.

Newbirth, you had asked what a tragus piercing is. If you try to plug your ears without sticking your finger in the ear canal, most people press the little flap of cartilage on the front of the ear to seal the ear. That flap of thicker cartilage is called the tragus. It's considered a facial piercing, though it really occurs at the front of the ear. Typically the gauge of the earring post has to an 18 or 16 for the hole to stay open. It takes about 18 months to heal. Most people wear a silver hoop with a colored ball in the piercing, but I have an 18 gauge straight 14k post with a little diamond cut gold ball on the end. It's the only major piercing I've retained since my wilder college days. I've had it for about five years now--and it's taketn my mother about half that long to stop bugging me about taking it out! The moment of reckoning came when I was a bridesmaid in my brother's wedding and had my hair styled in an intricate up-sweep. You could see the earring, but I made sure I had the little gold ball in place instead of a metal hoop. My mom thought it looked cute and then said, "It's such a part of you now, I think I would miss it if you took it out." My grandma thinks it's cool and I took her--at 76--to get second holes in her lobes! She loves them!

I was planning on taking it out for my wedding next summer, but one night my fiance was toying with it and said, "How long are you going to keep this in?" and I told him probably until the wedding. He tucked my hair behind my ear and said, "I think you should keep it in. It looks pretty and is so...I don't know. So AMORY."

My place of work really didn't say anything, even though I teach in an extremely conservative district. My vice principal once stopped me near the end of my first year teaching and said, "Did that hurt?" That was where the conversation ended. My students get a kick out of it when they see it, though a tragus piercing is pretty tame compared with some of the septum rings and tattoos the parents of my ninth graders condone. Now THAT bugs me. Letting a fourteen-year-old get a Good Charlotte tattoo in the middle of his chest is a bit much.
So there's the tragus piercing saga.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 09:35

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Go for it, you absolutely deserve it - NO 23 isn't too old - I got my first tattoo when I was 40

Vikki
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 10:25
Needlehole

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I was your age (I'm now 32) when I had my tongue pierced, and thoughly enjoyed it. It was painful, but hey, were women! We can take it! Anyhow, I say, if it's something you've always admired, and it represents an accomplishment, why not? Are you concerned what others might say or think? IMHO, it's your body, and you have every right to do as you wish! Good luck!!!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 10:29
Registered Member

Stats: 245/185/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'd imagine that having a belly button piercing will be a great daily reminder of how far you've come and will keep you from falling off track. Every day in the shower, you'll have a little note from yourself about how freeing it is to be thin.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jul-04-06, 10:39

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I say go for it!!! And at 23 , you are not too old Amory.
I got my Taz tat on the same night as my ex-SIL got her belly button pierced. Taz hurt!!! Her pain was virtually ZERO!!!

So go for it, and post us a pic.