Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 18:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:
Progress: 23%

You know what. I feel like I am still 21 though. I see 30 as just an age. I guess I want the rest of me to still look young. My DH is older and he laughs at me because he tells me to wait till I am his age! He is only 36. Anyway, Will let ya'll know about the cake thing.

J
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 18:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

When I first started low carbing a few years ago it was a couple of weeks before my birthday. I was still very heavy and no one knew I was low carbing. My family got this huge ice cream cake for me and I was so close to eating it. In my mind I was thinking well, its a special occasion and I havent lost a huge amount of weight yet, why not. I also love ice cream cakes and it was in my favorite flavor. I looked at the cake and I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. I said thank you and I was very appreciative but I kept telling myself that I am not going to start a new year of my life by eating poorly and sabotaging my diet. If I do that it will set the precedent for the year to come. I will start my new year with my friends and family, feeling good, taking care of my health and making the right decisions for me. I havent eaten birthday cake in years and I don't miss it one bit.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 18:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 255/234/165 Female 6'2
BF:

I hope I can get to that point one day. Not constantly missing all the stuff that is bad for me.

J
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

for my 50th birthday
I made acheese cake, mainly because my famly thought I had to have it, Made it lo Carb, and it was way too sweet for me now.
But when a friend took me out for my birthday,
we shareda ice cream and I only had 1 table spoon of it, but it was enough.
I agree, JunieBug, we have to enjoy life a little too, but only if you can go back and eat what your supposed to be doing.
I know my weaknesses if I have those little cadberry choc. eggs now I would NEVER stop
I cant wait till Easter is over and I dont see them any more lol
sandi
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 19:03

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My birthday was last Friday, and I decided to treat myself. I went to the local yummy bakery and had a slice of cayenne chocolate cheesecake. I didn't finish the whole piece, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I ate and my weight has not suffered for it. Of course, I am in maintenance so it is a little different for me than for someone who is actively losing. I am also really familiar with my limitations and know that a piece of cake will not throw me in to a binge nosedive. I would NOT have done this during induction or OWL, but feel safe doing it occasionally in maintenance. I think treating yourself is a YMMV thing.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:31

Stats: 188.5/155/112 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 44%
Cool

Oh for heaven's sake, eat a SLICE of the birthday cake, if you really want to...This is not a way of eating that you are NEVER going to indulge in something you really want...Having said that, you need to pick and choose on a very very occasional basis...Having an entire cheat week, if it is not a vacation or something really, really special is not a good idea...Save your cheats for something really special, and get right back on the plan...If you find this hard to do, then don't do the cheats...
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 21:38

Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:

Meat loaf cake iced with sour cream sprinkled with white cheese of your liking ,looks like a coconut cake. Lifes about choices Happy birthday I hope you have a wonderful time whatever you do!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 22:15

Stats: 150/124/100 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:38%/25%/20%
Progress: 52%

Happy Bday! I turn 30 this year too, and have wondered how I'll handle it. I resolved to bring in my 30s feeling 20--so, I'm thinking no. Or maybe just one bite of outback cheesecake with chocolate sauce--but be very good otherwise! I don't know, hun, it's a tough call.
I like that "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" thing. Either way--here's to you!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 22:37

Stats: 403/345/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Eat the cake if you want it. Eat a big cheat meal if you want it. Just realize you need to follow that up with some very disciplined LC and exercise to get back into weight loss mode.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 22:57
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

My simple answer? No. But it is your decision. If pure sugar is what turns you on, sticking with low carb for life is going to be very difficult.

On the other hand, if you are 6 feet 2 inches tall, you have a lot more carbs and calories to play with than I do.

When I have a treat meal, it tends to be something I like a lot more than a grocery store junk cake. I'd be opting for fresh fried calamari for my birthday if I lived in Hawaii.

Kay
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 05:40

Plan: M&E
Stats: 159/118.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:Clueless
Progress: 104%

Whatever you decide to do, Surfrider, have a wonderful day!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 06:59

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Happy Birthday

If you want to really do it- then do it, but its easy enough to make a low carb birthday cake- if your stuck on how/what, then visit KevinPa- he is always cooking heavenly low carb baked goods and posting the pictures.

Even making a microwave low carb cake for one large serving with ground almonds, egg, and flavourings and sweetner with cream cheese frosting takes under 10mins.

Whatever you do, have a fantastic birthday- enjoy your day!

Gem.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 07:46
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 196/188/140 Female 5ft1in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I vote no. My birthday is next week and I am going to have a slice of The Cheesecake Factories lowcarb cheesecake. It is really good!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:01
Registered Member

Stats: 358/322/240 Male 6'2
BF:???/37%/20%
Progress: 31%

#30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 08:10

Stats: 231/204/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I absolutly LOVE cake...BUT I would have to say find another dessert for that day, and have a birthday cake when you reach your goal. My 30th is coming up in the summer...I hope that I will be within my goals...if not that is what I plan