Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 11:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 198/192.4/180 Female 66 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 31%

Know what? I think I'll give it a try. Just make sure you come to visit me on it, or I'll feel unpopular and unloved and that would be like reliving high school!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 11:52
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Magnesium and vitamin D deficiencies have been implicated in anxiety and panic attacks. Peerhaps supplementing with a good amount of vitamin D, magnesium and calcium would help.

Vitamin D should never be taken without calcium and magnesium.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 12:30

Thanks for the calcium and magnesium info - I had no idea they should be taken with vitamin D. I'll definitely add those to my shopping list!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 16:24

Plan: combo of SBD and Low GI
Stats: 225/225/125 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've had panic attacks since the age of 13...and now I am 34. Ironically I just came off of lexapro after being on it for almost 4 years. Before lexapro I was on zoloft, which also worked very well in inhibiting the panic attacks, but the weight gain was getting to be too much.

Just this past fall I weened myself off of the lexapro...I wanted to see if I could manage without it. So far, so good. No more panic attacks. Also, I was recently dx'd with PCOS and am currently awaiting lab results to see if I have a thyroid problem. (I have a goiter on my neck that has been pretty persistent). It turns out I've had PCOS for the better part of my life, and PCOS very often causes weight gain AND anxiety problems. My first anxiety attack was at age 13 and it may not have been a coincidence that was when I entered puberty. I've had all of the classic PCOS symptoms since then and now I am just finding out that women who have abnormal levels of testosterone (PCOS) tend to have issues with anxiety and nervousness. Kind of makes sense...all this extra male hormone in me made me so "edgy"!!

Anyway, I am following up with the endocrinologist next month and will learn if my thyroid is now effected as well. I am not sure what medical treatment will be appropriate if I am both hypothyroid and have PCOS, but I do feel as though all of the years of my anxiety attacks very likely were linked to one of both of these issues.

Either way, even if I had a medical problem which exaccerbated my anxiety level, I realize that after a while the panic attacks become psychologically induced. One thing that has helped me in the past was to maintain a good cardio exercise routine. It seemed to take the "edge" off and help me to relax and feel more in control of my life. I think that control issues play a huge part in the lives of those who suffer from panic disorder.

Thankfully there are meds that help alleviate this. Just be sure to monitor for weight gain...and don't be afraid to ask your MD to try other meds if one has that effect on you. Different SSRI's affect people differently, in terms of the side effects.

Good luck and if you ever need to chat with someone who has disected the hell out of PD...feel free to let me know!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 17:31

Oh My Gosh - I have PCOS too! Doesn't it just totally suck? I'm 39 and have been "officially" diagnosed for 9 years, but I diagnosed myself years before that. We definitely have to keep in touch!

Franny
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiroll
Hi everyone. I have panic attacks - well, my official diagnosis is panic disorder with agoraphobia. Antidepressants have caused me to go from 115 pounds to 250 pounds at my all-time high. Thanks for listening!

You might find Overeaters Anonymous a good place
to HANG OUT. If you go to meetings you will find
Many women and a few men just like yourself with
panic disorders, depression, OCD, etc.

But more importantly, you can JOIN A FELLOWSHIP
and feel like you have a secure place you can talk about
your problems. It is largely a non-denominational group.
I am a buddhist for example and no body freaks (well a
few, but I don't worry about them.)

Go to: http://www.oa.org and look for meetings in your
area. Then call the contact number and talk to the
meeting secretary and they will tell you all about it.

I can GUARANTEE you will find it a cool place. Go to about
5 meetings and see what you think.

And for the record, OA isn't any more of a cult than any other organized religion or service group or fraternity as
far as I am concerned. There is nothing to fear, and
everything to gain.

PS: Don't listen to the whining and complaining of the people who have been in the program for 30 yrs and still
weigh 400 lbs! Find people with physical recovery that
aren't NUTS (not too many nuts in OA that I know) and
find out how they lost their weight and more importantly
how they keep it off.

Hope this helps!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 19:35
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

You might find Overeaters Anonymous a good place
to HANG OUT. If you go to meetings you will find
Many women and a few men just like yourself with
panic disorders, depression, OCD, etc.

But more importantly, you can JOIN A FELLOWSHIP
and feel like you have a secure place you can talk about
your problems. It is largely a non-denominational group.
I am a buddhist for example and no body freaks (well a
few, but I don't worry about them.)

Go to: http://www.oa.org and look for
meetings in your area. Then call the contact
number and talk to the meeting secretary
and they will tell you all about it.

I can GUARANTEE you will find it a cool place.
Go to about 5 meetings and see what you think.

And for the record, OA isn't any more of a cult
than any other organized religion or service
group or fraternity as far as I am concerned.

There is nothing to fear, and everything to gain.

PS: Don't listen to the whining and complaining
of the people who have been in the program for
30 yrs and still weigh 400 lbs!

There ARE a few of those, and they are unfortunates.

Find people with physical recovery that aren't NUTS
(not too many nuts in OA that I know) and
find out how they lost their weight and more
importantly how they keep it off.

Hope this helps!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 20:34

Plan: Low Carb / Keto
Stats: 350/188/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Ugh. I don't know why, but I'm slightly offended at the Overeater's Anonymous comments, especially since he quoted me. I have never overeaten! Even on the Atkins diet I quite often don't eat enough - I really have to struggle to do it. Not because of some psychological "oh I CAN'T eat or I'll get FAT and them I'm SCREWED" thing, either. I simply do not overeat and never have.

And I'm Wiccan. I don't go to church inside of a building - nature is my church. Since "joining a fellowship", (which OA claims to be anyway) he says, is [even more important] where I can talk about my problems.

You want the brutal honest truth Mr. Ned Goudy who can't figure out how to post only once? This message board, and a few other websites, is where I'm talking about my "problems", and I believe that because of that I've made significant progress.

I suppose at your last meeting they told you to champion OA? Cash flow problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by from oa.org website
Do the meetings you attend contribute their share? Have you made a personal donation to World Service? One suggestion is to send a specific amount to mark your OA birthday for each year of recovery; another might be to donate an amount for each pound (kilo) of weight “adjustment.” Groups, as well as individuals, might use the same guidelines on special occasions, such as the group’s OA anniversary.

Do you actually get people to listen to you?
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 02:22

Plan: Low Carb / Keto
Stats: 350/188/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

(Excuse the rant, everyone.)

(from our conversation HERE )

Hi Ned, I wanted to respond to you here instead of on Raven's post since she probably doesn't need to hear more controversy that will just frustrate her further.

I feel like it's totally presumptuous of you to recommend that I go to Overeater's Anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedgoudy
I still think OA would be a great place for you. With panic attacks and Anxiety disorder you could get out and share your story with understanding people who have been/there done/that and gotten on with their lives. This is meant with the best spirit of concern. You might wanna try it. It would help you get in touch with the CAUSES of why you have panic attacks RATHER than just treating the symptoms and it would be cheaper than therapy. (FREE)

Why OA when I don't have that problem? Also, I am very familiar with 12-step programs, and I have nothing against them. I've seen them help many people, including my father, recover from debilitating issues. OA is just not something that even remotely applies to me, so why would you recommend I still go?

You are assuming, again, that I don't know the root cause of my panic attacks. I do. You are assuming again that money is an issue for me regarding therapy. It is not at all.

I don't believe I'm going to find a higher rate of people who have experienced panic attacks at an OA meeting than I would at an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. So, why not recommend I go there?

It's just really a sore spot for me to be quoted, and then referred to as having a problem with overeating from someone who has absolutely no idea of who I am or how I came to gain weight.

Quote:
Just to give you the 411, I too have had panic attacks and I find that Benzodiazapines EXACERBATE the problem. AND I don't mind calling them the heebie jeebies because that was the experience I had when the pills started to wear off.

I have never in ten years met a person for whom the actual benzodiazapine exacerbated a panic attack. If it did, then it was psychological. When you go to the emergency room with a panic attack, a benzo is the first line of treatment. Again, - and I'm not exagerating - I have talked with thousands and thousands of people who have, or have had, panic attacks, and I have never met one who experienced a upswing in their symptoms due to taking a benzodiazapine - other than those who later understood that it was a phobia of the pill itself or the effects it MIGHT have on them which caused a bit of concern at the beginning of treatment. (Usually their concern is exacerbated by people like you who write frightening/terrifying/false things about the medicines.)

And calling any part of a panic attack the "heeby jeebies" honestly IS demeaning to someone who still has them affecting their daily life - as raven_1501, who you were replying to, does. It makes light of a very serious condition at a time when the last thing she needed to hear was an offhand remark like that. I really, really am glad that you don't experience this anymore - but for people who are still going through it, or especially just starting to go through it, it's disrespectful.

You have to put yourself in her shoes...she has just been diagnosed with having an anxiety disorder severe enough to require treatment, and along with that comes horrible fears about your mental state of being...then along comes someone and tells her that it's the heeby jeebies. It's just like when you go to a friend and they say "oh, don't be silly - you could stop panicking if you just focused on something else." in the middle of a level ten panic attack.

Not only that - but if her doctor actually did suggest a benzo for treatment for her, then you just shook her confidence in her doctor. She needs to build a strong relationship with that doctor - and sure, now she has a good question to ask "Will I become addicted?" - but I'm sure that he'll say the same thing I did...if you take them every day you will have a physical dependency where you can't just stop them abruptly - not a psychological dependency where you are seeking out the drug for when you don't need it. This is the SAME type of addiction that she'd experience with an antidepressant. She couldn't just stop that abruptly, either.

Quote:
And I still stand by my assertion that Benzodiazapines are addictive. Read this information provided by a woman on the topic: http://tinyurl.com/cgkrw

The woman who wrote that is an advocate for a drug free way of life. Of course she is going to write those things, but even she admits that her assessment of the addictive nature of benzodiazapines is different from many doctors and scientists. It's just like the bible...you can look and look on the web until you find the "answer" that suits you.

I can't apologize that I feel the need to so strongly speak out about this topic of benzodiazapine use for panic attacks.

I have counseled women who have been pregnant, their doctors would not give them anything for their anxiety, and they lost their baby or were forced into an abortion that they didn't want - and it all could have been prevented by taking an anti-anxiety medication that was fact acting. I have seen a man who was housebound for 4 years, living in a shack and using a public computer, unable to work, unable to see his children because his wife had left him, and unable to drive - go to being one of the top regional managers for an international distribution company, getting his family back, and buying a house. And I'll never forget the first time he drove again - after taking xanax and gaining confidence due to having a block of time where his anxiety was gone, unlike any day in the previous years. Where would he be without it?

I truly am glad that you no longer have panic attacks. I wouldn't wish them on anyone, and when I hear that someone has recovered from them that's always good news.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:12

BF:

Quote:
And I'm Wiccan. I don't go to church inside of a building

I too, would not consider myself religious in terms of one who goes to a church to worship. I find that the Pagan philosophy works well and suits my belief system.

Support groups are fine I am sure, and no doubt OA has helped a lot of people, but I am with spiroll....its not my bag either.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:21

BF:

Quote:
Oh My Gosh - I have PCOS too! Doesn't it just totally suck?

Suck is putting in mildly! I feel as though my body has been betraying me all of these years! The amazing thing is that there are so many women who are now being diagnosed and like us, who have probably had it for years before an MD was willing to "officially" diagnose and treat it.

Please do keep in touch Franny! I've recently started a journal/blog to track my journey towards reclaiming myself and my body back...

Are you also insulin resistant? Do you take meds for PCOS?

Talk to you soon!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 06:41
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Guess what? In addition to anxiety and panic attacks, PCOS is also attributed to vitamin D deficiency.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:18

Default Don't you people SLEEP???

Holy overeaters, Batman. I leave to catch a few z's, and all hades breaks loose!

I won't even tackle to OA thing, since Lisa did such a commendable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Guess what? In addition to anxiety and panic attacks, PCOS is also attributed to vitamin D deficiency.

Ok, looks like I really need to get my butt to a health store ASAP!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:24
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Vitamin D and Magnesium Influence on Panic and Anxiety

Vitamin D
Behavioural characterization of vitamin D receptor knockout mice.
Behav Brain Res. 2005 Feb 28;157(2):299-308.
Burne TH, McGrath JJ, Eyles DW, Mackay-Sim A.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...l=pubmed_docsum

Increased anxiety in mice lacking vitamin D receptor gene.
Neuroreport. 2004 Jun 7;15(8):1271-4.
Kalueff AV, Lou YR, Laaksi I, Tuohimaa P.

Magnesium
Magnesium-deficient diet alters depression- and anxiety-related behavior in mice--influence of desipramine and Hypericum perforatum extract.
Singewald N, Sinner C, Hetzenauer A, Sartori SB, Murck H.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...8&dopt=Citation

Chronopathological forms of magnesium depletion with hypofunction or with hyperfunction of the biological clock.
Durlach J, Pages N, Bac P, Bara M, Guiet-Bara A, Agrapart C.

[Incidence of latent tetany in patients with panic disorder]
Taborska V.

[A use of Magne-B6 in the treatment of anxiety-depressive states in patients with epilepsy
Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova.

Antidepressant- and anxiolytic-like activity of magnesium in mice.
Poleszak E, Szewczyk B, Kedzierska E, Wlaz P, Pilc A, Nowak G.

Anxiety & Depression Treatment
http://www.ctds.info/anxiety_depression.html

Anxiety Disorders Association of Victoria, Inc.
Health tips - Calcium and Magnesium By Brien Cole N.D.
http://www.adavic.org/health/htips_cole.htm

I will come back and try to post links to vitamin D and PCOS. I think I posted it somewhere before.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 08:27

Wow, that's great - thanks for all the great information!