Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326/215/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Ok, not only am I in ketosis this morning but it says I have lost a pound... I ate at least 85 carbs yesterday... This is kinda worrying me. Good news is my urine isn't foamy this morning =).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 14:02

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impecca
Ok, not only am I in ketosis this morning but it says I have lost a pound... I ate at least 85 carbs yesterday... This is kinda worrying me. Good news is my urine isn't foamy this morning =).

Wow - congratulations - you must have a CCLL of about 100!!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 15:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I would definitely see a doctor if you can rather than try to diagnose yourself over the internet.
It may be that you have the beginnings of a kidney infection that can be easily cleared up with a round of antibiotics (and plenty of fluids!). If it does turn out to be something more serious, better to know now and nip it in the bud than let it progress until it becomes more difficult to treat. Either way, you'll need a urine test to determine exactly what's going on.
It's more likely that the extra fluids you drank helped than upping the carbs since dehydration can also cause protein in the urine even in healthy individuals as can strenous exercising.
Get thee to a doctor.

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Oct-25-05 at 15:34.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 20:07

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I was coming in to say exactly what Lisa said. You need to see a doctor and find out what is going on. It could be anything from a kidney infection to diabetes and you don't want either one of those to be diagnosed on the internet.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 21:23

Stats: 326/215/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Well, all day today my urine has been fine. So I was probably just overreacting. I hope not, but I can't really afford to see the doctor anyway. I really appreciate your guys advice. I would really like to go to the doctors, just that my current budget can't fit it mainly because I haven't had a job, and I just started my first job today. So hopefully in a couple months I'll be able to get some medical insurance.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-05, 22:48

BF:

Well, if the foaming urine was your only symptom and it has cleared up, maybe we all overreacted. I think that I remember when you began this woe. I saw your photo and you are looking good. Congrats on your loss and on your first job, guy! But check and see if there are any free clinics in your area that you can go to until you get on your feet.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 05:39

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hard call

Pre-existing condition; no money for care now but if it IS big and ugly, there will be bills on down the road. Know the feeling.

I don't know enough about kidney problems--infections that are curable with a $75 visit and maybe $100 of drugs left untreated can spiral into transplant waiting lists.

Ditto diabetic damage.

OTOH, I suspect some of the kidney diseases don't make too much difference--if you treat now or later, maybe the outcome is the same. ($$) so you might as well wait until insured, because if you DO see a doctor now, then it becomes a pre-existing condition and is either not covered, or you have to wait a year or so before they will pay anything on that condition.

Oh, the joys of the American health care system.

I don't think it was over-reacting. It's a gamble we all take every time something goes off in our bodies--see the doctor now, or wait it out? Look like a hypochondriac (perhaps if you can entertain that thought, you are NOT a hypochondriac) or risk additional damage?

I tend to get a fair number of emergency calls requiring stitches (broken nose was the most recent) so I'm in the office any way and stack up my nagging worries for those visits. "Oh, by the way, what's wrong with my knee..." as they take the stitches out of my nose.

But kidneys and other innards are a little more demanding.

Hope it holds, but if it comes back, spend the money. Dialysis is major.

Good luck.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 08:16
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I remember one day 2 years ago I noticed the same thing about my urine. I thought about it as it means that I'm losing weight and I did. Next day I found that I lost 4 lbs. I have been also drinking Diet Rite most of the time.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 10:36

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

In lieu of coughing up the bucks to talk to a doctor, why not call one of those freebie nurse lines? Check the yellow pages for the hospitals, most offer a call-a-nurse services. I guess they figure if they have a nurse avail to talk to folks, the patient will go to their hospital for care, so its worth the cost to them.

I know its saved me in moments of freak out-should I panic and hit emergency room, (or the VA in my case-no insurance either!!) or just chill at home and self-care. usually, its something that can be solved at home.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 15:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The diet coke on my desk has 40mg of sodium. Not very much. Probably tap water has some sodium in it too.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:12

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Go here;
http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.o...-45-51-2004.pdf
and read the article Titled,
HIGH-PROTEIN WEIGHT LOSS DIETS AND PURPORTED ADVERSE EFFECTS: WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE? by Anssi H. Manninen of the
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Finland. Published in Sports Nutrition Review Journal. 1(1):45-51, 2004.

It should but your mind at ease.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-05, 20:35

BF:

Larry, I read the article in parts and I really like it. Thanks for posting this. It should be featured under the research forum. I'll see what I can do. Shortly after beginning this woe, I read the research article about cultures that consumed a traditionally high protein diet. The culture featured is the Native American culture. These people once had outstanding bone structure and exemplary immune systems. Their health suffered when they were forced to eat a high carb low protein diet. This article was an ah hah moment for me. Protein is the foremost significant nutrient and it gets no respect. It is what binds us together.

I am climbing down from my little soapbox.

Black57
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-05, 20:06

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Go here and read this transcript of an interview with the Drs. Eades.
http://ppwol.suddenlaunch3.com/inde...&num=1130420447
The interviewer asks, "You know, whenever you mention this kind of diet to a dietitian, they always first mention ketosis. The risk of ketosis. What is ketosis and how does that happen?"
Their answer to this question is what Impecca needs to grasp as truth.

Regards,
Larry
PS, we would LOVE to have more people participate on the Protein Power Way of Life board at http://ppwol.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-05, 05:10

Stats: 245/160/135 Female 5'5''
BF:?
Progress: 77%

This may be off the subject but for those of you wondering what LC can do to kidneys and such---my personal experience is this---I had to do a "24 hour Urine Catch" to test my kidney function (among other things) and they were quite impressed with my kidney functions/output and the quality of my urine. At the time of my test I was at induction levels.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 21:08

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
I tend to get a fair number of emergency calls requiring stitches (broken nose was the most recent) so I'm in the office any way and stack up my nagging worries for those visits. "Oh, by the way, what's wrong with my knee..." as they take the stitches out of my nose.

cs...what are you doing to get a broken nose and frequent trips to the ER/DR?