Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 13:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess way back when I was thin, all my friends were on some sort of diet or another, so I never felt singled out unless I was the only one NOT dieting. There were times I wanted a double cheeseburger, but they were all eating salad... so I ate a salad.

Hopefully, by the time I reach goal or even close, my food choices will have become so ingrained that it won't matter to me what other people think of what I'm eating or not eating. Right now, all my friends seem to be on Weight Watchers, and I'm getting a little "overloaded" with WW chatter... so I've found other, non-food-related things to do with them. It makes it easier.

On another note, if I go too far loss-wise and can't see it, I hope they are still there to hit me over the head until I listen. The old "If more than three people tell you something, it's probably true" would be my motto.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 14:17

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have this problem with people in my life as well. People have a difficult time wrapping their minds around the fact that I am still LC. I work in a steakhouse with lots of LC food. The managers put out a bunch of fried appatizers for us after a long busy night. If they did not order any buffalo wings, I will order my own dinner. When my coworkers see me eating and paying (discounted) for my own food, they just can't understand.

When I am in nursing school during the week, well, you can imagine the conversation around the lunch table. It has gotten to the point where I am so sick of defending my food choices and explaining myself that I eat (and study) in an obscure corner of the campus. I get more done that way anyways.

On the personal front, I have found that over time the vigelance level can be reduced. In maintenance you find what works for you. You make mistakes, gain a few, loose a few. My personal goal is to coustomize my plan to the point that the vigelance is no longer in the fore front. Sure I know, it will aways be there. But I do want to be "normal." Not normal as people on the SAD diet define it. Normal in that I can live MY life and make good food choices without the extream dietary vigelance. I know what foods are good/bad. I agree that one needs to be aware that their choices will have an effect on health. I just dont want to have to feel like I am being vigelant. It wears on me. You know????

It is nice to see others around that are interested in maintaning. It is a challange all it's own.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 14:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you think about it, look how many dieters fail Maintenance 101 so why would we expect non-dieters to have even a shred of a clue as to what is involved in keeping the weight off?
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 14:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/137/150 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm so glad that i found this post. People piss me off so much by constantly asking me questions like so when are you getting off this diet, and things like that. I'm in maintanence now but still use low carb products namely hoodmilk and sugar free jello. But i also have sandwiches on 100% whole wheat, and i eat alot of fresh fruits and vegetables. People don't understand why i chose salads at the local pizza place, and why i don't eat ice cream. I have to tell the same people over and over again, including my parents, that it's not a diet. These changes are for life and you'll have to accept them. I'm constantly accussed of not eating healthy but my response is "look at you with your mcdonalds and coke products, it's you..not i who is eating unhealthy" It's like eating bad food has become so normal for so much of america that when one eats healthy they're seen as strange and unhealthy. Now i admit recently i've been eating ALOT of the walden farms dips cuz they're just so good but only as a topping to strawberries or jello or something. We maintainers need to come up with some way to prove to the others that eating sugary stuff isn't necessary and that our *mostly* unprocessed ways of eating are better for your health.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
Bravo, Woo! I find that we maintainers are not "part of the club" sometimes. If we had to restrict something in the first place to lose weight, why wouldn't we still have the same struggles to keep off the weight?

Yea, Kryssi. I sometimes miss the feeling of "belonging" that goes along with trying to lose myself. It's strange because I don't quite feel like a "regular person" as I have to be so strict in what I eat, but I also don't feel like a dieter because I don't have goals and things like that (other than to not be complacent, but that's more like, well, maintaining something... boring and routine and personal).
Quote:
Why is it that we are considered vain and obsessive when we have hypoglycemic issues and couldn't eat that way ever again no matter what weight we are? Indulging in the occasional treat wreaks havoc with my system and I am terrified of developing further problems, so each "treat" comes with terrible guilt and anxiety attack driven fear.

This will always be a struggle for me. Knowing that I can ease up on the LC thing once in awhile would be fine if I wasn't sick...but I am so I have to watch. Obsessive? About my health...HELL YES I AM!

I can totally understand how you feel. While I myself don't struggle with hypoglycemia of that degree, I know the trepidation and fear with carbohydrate food you speak of... worrying that if you eat it you might feel like crap later. For me, one blood sugar slip will mess me up all day... set me up for that "in a fog and just want to snack all the time" feeling. Not a pleasant experience.

I can indulge on occasion because my problems with carbs aren't as extreme as yours, but one thing I can't get complacent with is the weight thing. I will and do gain easily, so that is something I must be extreme about. It's not vain to highly prioritize important health issues like hypoglycemia control or control of obesity.

The problem I think is if people can't SEE the problem they don't realize it doesn't exist. To others you look like a regular person. They don't know you used to be 300 pounds, or they don't know that you used to faint all the time from sugar crashes. So when you order the salad instead of the pasta, or you have to eat less if you plan on eating pasta later to control weight... people think you're being neurotic about a problem that doesn't exist. They can't know the problem DOES exist, it's just that we're controlling it by these supposed "neurotic" behaviors.
Quote:
Keep up the good work, Woo. You know what works for you and have a complete understanding of how your body works. I applaud you.

Thanks Kryssi and congrats for taking charge of your health and sticking to it.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I've maintained for over a year and I still try to stay roughly within the boundaries of induction, which I have no problem with and enjoy. So when I have the need (socially or mentally) for a "pig out" I can, I never eat high carb foods though, just have maybe too many low carb things!. I return to induction the next day. I do get people asking me why I'm still "dieting" now I'm slim - cos I want to stay slim and enjoy what I eat, why would I want to change it?

But I know what you mean, when I first hit my target I actually became scared of stopping "dieting". I didnt know what to do or how to go to maintenance without losing control. A "low carb" friend of mine suggested that if I was happy with my existing eating plan then dont change it - So i didnt, hence I'm still happily following induction and probably will forever

jo

Hi Jo
I went through that fear of stopping too. I'm so glad that's behind me and I've experimented with changing up what I eat. For me it was important to prove to myself that I CAN and WANT to stay committed no matter what. I was afraid that if I tasted something not good for me that I would get distracted and compromise my goals. I was afraid if I had a pig out I would justify doing it again instead of fixing it. I've proven I can and will go back, that I actually want to go back without much struggle, which has made me way more comfortable in maintaining.

I experimented with eating lots of carbs and it didn't work well. I don't eat induction but many days if not most days carbs are rather low. I go as high as 25% without really struggling but often times carb count is like 75 grams or thereabouts because I eat mainly from veggies and meat food.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:11
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryssiMc
One thing I noticed as odd, but in a good way...all of our maintenance weights are lower than our original goals. Kudos to us for our perserverance and the realization that you don't have to settle for the size that your body "wants to be". You can strive for something better and attain it.

Congrats to all you maintainers!

Thanks Kryssi
Yea I noticed that too. I think that those of us in maintenance who are on the thinner side are the ones who get the most flack. I mean if you're maintaining a healthy - but heavier - size, people are far less likely to ask why you're throwing out the bun and weighing your portions. Since people associate watching what you eat with losing weight it doesn't alarm them that a 5'5 150ish pound woman would do that (even though she's healthy at that size, she is not really thin). If a 5'5 110ish pound woman does it, people assume she must be mentally screwed up trying to lose more weight, or irrationally afraid of gaining weight. They don't realize I do what I do to prevent weight gain, and that my "fear" of gaining weight isn't some anorexic delusion but control of a real health condition - morbid obesity.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaspesiene
Good for you Woo, for voicing that once you have weight problems for whatever reason, it's a WOL to lose the weight and maintain. We all say that eating LC is a WOL, well, IMO, life means til I'm dead, so, I have to watch it even after I reach my goal.
Once we slack of and eat mindlessly, guess what, we'll gain the weight back. For me, that's how I gained the weight in the first place, not watching what I ate. I don't ever want to go back there.
Just like Ojoj, I sometimes get afraid of what I'll do once I reach my goal. In the past I've always gained the weight back because I thought my job was done. I've lost the weight and now I can just forget about watching what I ate.
Now I see that if I want to keep the weight off I'll have to continue eating LC and when my body stops losing, it is where it's supposed to be.
But, I must not go back to eating the way a "normal person" eats..that's what got me fat in the first place.
Diet A (the way I used to eat) =weight A (my high weight)
Diet B (or in my case LC) = weight B (my goal)
Why, oh, why would I want to stop diet B and go back to
diet A...I'll just get fat again.
It's pretty logical!
I'm done...
Mary-Ann

That's great Mary-Ann... it's so important to think about maintenance while you're losing. My maintenance was difficult because I focused so exclusively on weight loss, that I became dependent on it. Part of the problem is that I dealt with food abuse by using weight loss as a substitute. The other part, though, was ignorantly not really experimenting and taking the lazy-easy route of just choosing to reduce everything as much as I could while being healthy/satisfied. If I HAD eaten "normally" once in awhile out, and basically LIVED instead of "dieted" I wouldn't have the irrational fears I had.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 15:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyA
I never though maintenance would be the “giant party with no rules” some people seem to think it will be, but maybe when I get there it won’t be as hard as I am anticipating it to be.
It’s a hard pill to swallow, to realize I won’t ever completely be able to let my guard down, but with all the benefits I get and will get from low-carbing, I can deal. I have so far.

Maintenance isn't hard. For me the diet is the same as weight loss, only difference is I don't take to under eating all the time and I allow myself treat - free meals on occasion (with later & prior compensation).
The struggle in maintenance is psychological. It's mostly scary. When you're losing you have the goal of getting rid of fatness to keep you motivated. When you're maintaining you have no motivation. You have to keep yourself motivated by constantly reminding yourself why you need to maintain. The fear comes in that you fret one day you might forget why you're doing this and stop. Complacency will set in.

Experimenting with carbs socially actually helps remind why I do this. When you're in the throes of it full on, you remember what they do to you and why you need to eat restricted.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 08:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
The struggle in maintenance is psychological. It's mostly scary. When you're losing you have the goal of getting rid of fatness to keep you motivated. When you're maintaining you have no motivation. You have to keep yourself motivated by constantly reminding yourself why you need to maintain. The fear comes in that you fret one day you might forget why you're doing this and stop. Complacency will set in.

Great posts, Woo.

It really does come down to that. Maintenance is tough if the things that made you over-eat in the first place will never go away. I was raised as a compulsive junk food eater and my deep-down desire to eat and drink everything in sight will never really go away. Funny - just yesterday, I arrived in the city a few hours before my brother was going to pick me up. There was a McDonalds. I stood there for a good five or ten minutes arguing with myself about what to do. I have a bunch of canker sores right now, so I honestly entertained the idea of a Flurry. In the meantime, I kept glancing at my watch, looking like I was waiting for someone, so people wouldn't think I was nuts. In the end, I went to a nearby salad bar and got a pile of spinach, bacon and cheese. But I felt somewhat... bereft.

There you have it, folks. It doesn't always feel as good as it looks.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 09:35

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
people are far less likely to ask why you're throwing out the bun and weighing your portions.

Quote:
People don't understand why i chose salads at the local pizza place

These two quotations (from different people) reflect two different ways of handling maintenance when you are eating with other people. It's more obtrusive to "throw away the bun" than to order a main dish salad, isn't it? Most of the time it should be possible to eat in a way that doesn't seem so extraordinary to others, no? And weighing food for every meal should not be necessary after long experience with low carbing. Sure, you want to do it some of the time if it helps assure you about portion size, but it seems desirable not to weigh at every meal. The less attention you call to your different way of eating, the less flak you have to take from "civilians" .
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 09:50

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I'm just marking this thread...interesting discussion and I want to keep track of it!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 10:53

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
I'm just marking this thread...interesting discussion and I want to keep track of it!

You can also do that by clicking on "thread tools" and choosing "subscribe" from the drop down list.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 12:00
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

I totally agree with the way people look at my eating habits now that I'm really thin. They just don't understand how LCing works and that you can not eat starchy foods and satisfy yourself calorie wise and not lose anymore weight. They still think I'm "dieting".

I just hate the horrified look of "ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT???!!" because I ordered my hamburger without a bun.

So I just tell them that I don't feel like falling asleep in an hour after eating the bun. Then they remember my condition and shut up.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 13:06

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Kristine,

Quote:
It really does come down to that. Maintenance is tough if the things that made you over-eat in the first place will never go away. I was raised as a compulsive junk food eater and my deep-down desire to eat and drink everything in sight will never really go away.

What you have written here really hit home with me. This internal battle between good and evil when out of the home. I have this problem too. I didn't really understand this about myself before I read this. I want badly to be normal. And normal for me would not be to struggle with this internal battle. It really wears me down. It has gotten better for me in my home, being that it is a controlled environment with PLENTY of yummy good food. I rarley if ever have the urge to go off the deep end when I am home.

Quote:
In the end, I went to a nearby salad bar and got a pile of spinach, bacon and cheese. But I felt somewhat... bereft. There you have it, folks. It doesn't always feel as good as it looks.

I am really feeling you on this Been there numerous times. I need to find a way to work on my attitudes about food. I have succeded in the home, and work/school environments, now need to figure out how to approch going out while feeling normal in the process. .....

Who knows, maybe it is normal to have this internal battle. I have never been able to read other peoples minds. It's funny how we have expectations of what things will be like once we reach goal.

So lets say that this is a battle in our minds. We have pushed the enemy out of various territories in our lives. But on one front, the battle lives on. After a while you become tired of the battle and the enemy gains ground (work, home, where ever) becoming more powerful. If you don't pay enough attention to this, you can become overwhelmed and defeated. This paints a grim picture.

Now for a newbie, they are fighting on multiple fronts. Many give up, while some become hyper focused and use tools such as fitday, weighing food, count carbs/cals ect. By mastering the tangible aspects of what you are up against, you can manipulate the enemy. By doing reserch, you can learn the mechanics of the enemys tactics (insulin/bs/cravings). You do these things in able to gain the upper hand by becoming stronger reducing the physical blows. But what if in the end, you have the enemy cornered in your mind? You know what to do, but your mind turns against you. What if in cirtain circumstances the enemy still has some power? You stand in front of that McDonalds for ten minutes battling it out in your head, all the while looking at your watch as to lok "normal" to others around you. You still have the choice, but how do you win whats in your mind. Your own worst enemy, or best friend.

It takes diligence to push the enemy back and gain ground. Why should anyone believe that we should ditch all dilligance once we reach goal. If the psychological issues are not dealt with, you will continue to have the same issues issues with food. I hold onto the hope that I can conqure ground in areas in my life so I can have some semblance of normal. For now, maintenance is not a nice from the inside as it outwordly appears.

Good topic WOO

Last edited by Bandito : Sat, Aug-20-05 at 13:24.