Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, May-09-05, 15:40

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by garhi
and not feel that they "have" to lift weights to get strong

Amen!

Bodyweight conditioning is a legitimate form of training and anyone serious or interested should check out "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 06:57
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
the best "weight" you can lift is your own bodyweight! if you want a high-intensity workout that's cheap, easy, and very effective, try this....
Oh, did I forget legs? do 50-100 bodyweight squats per day, how? you squat down as low as you care to, then come back up. yes, they also make you breathe very hard.

when you can do 50 in a row, start working on 1 legged squats! start on stairs, or use a box to "sit" on part-way down.

Believe me, this is high-intensity.
Hello garhi,

This may be nice for you but it is neither advanced nor high intensity in the weightlifting community...

Good luck anyway
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I have to say I agree with the 1 leg squats, you have to have very strong legs, hipflexors and various other supporting muscles to do those properly. For some incredibly high intensity workouts go to www.crossfit.com They have a wonderful philosophy and provide daily workouts from a library of exercises. I don't think there are many people in any weightlifing arena - unless you take olympic lifters - who are even close to as "fit" as this bunch.
Disclaimer: when I say fit I don't necessarily mean that they don't have more muscle, larger biceps etc. I mean overall fitness, the way a gymnast has incredible strength balanced with athletic ability.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 155/160/165 Male 5'10"
BF:15%/12%/10%
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
Hello garhi,

This may be nice for you but it is neither advanced nor high intensity in the weightlifting community...

Good luck anyway

I, personally have never seen people in the "weightlifting community" doing any 1-legged squats! That's why I jumped in here -- it may be as you say, but if you go back to the beginning of the thread...people are asking basic questions about how to work out...thus they are not in the "advanced weight lifting community", nor would they be until at least a couple years of steady lifting, right? Oh ya and let's not forget good genetics, since 95% of people who lift will never look like the cover of a muscle mag...

This is a great thread, imho! Lots of good info whatever your workout stripe may be...
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%
Default This is similar, from the WWW

Quote:
the best "weight" you can lift is your own bodyweight! if you want a high-intensity workout that's cheap, easy, and very effective, try this....

1. sell your dumbbells to the teenager on your block for $30
2. take that $30 and buy a pullup bar -the best kind is like this one here:
http://www.sportsdirection.com/doorpulupgym.html.
3. do the following workout:

-1 set of pushups to failure (you'll be breathing reeeeal hard trust me)
-1 set of pullups to failure (ditto)
-now for the finale.... put your hands about 1 foot from a closed doorway, and kick upside-down and let your feet lean against the door....this is a "handstand". hold this for 10-15 seconds. if you can, do another one. work up to 1 set of 6 "reps"

Now, repeat this as many days per week as you can handle. It will take about a whopping 5-10 minutes per day. When you get used to 1 set, work up to 2. Then 3. etc...

Oh, did I forget legs? do 50-100 bodyweight squats per day, how? you squat down as low as you care to, then come back up. yes, they also make you breathe very hard.

when you can do 50 in a row, start working on 1 legged squats! start on stairs, or use a box to "sit" on part-way down.

Believe me, this is high-intensity. You'll get strong as hell, with no "bulk". You'll also improve your balance, flexibility, and aerobic capacity.

Keep track of your progress with a simple Excel spreadsheet, and aim to increase your workload each week.

No hype, no frills. Just results! Welcome to my current workout!

Hey Garhi,

I saw a similar workout sometime ago on the WWW. It went as follows.

Day 1. Push-ups, until you can't do another one.
Day 2. Sit-ups, until you can't do another one.
Day 3. 3 sets of push-ups, two sets of pull ups, and 3 sets of sit-ups, each set to failure.
Day 4. Pull-ups, until you can't do anymore.
Day 5. Rest
Day 6. Start again with Day 1.

This omits the hand stand push ups, but some folks won't be able to ad those for sometime. I have done the hand stand push-up in the past with great strength building benefits. And, as you claimed, I gained strength but didn't get "bulky".

Over40
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 155/160/165 Male 5'10"
BF:15%/12%/10%
Progress: 50%

COOL! Thanks for sharing -- I may try that one one of these weeks, except doing handstand pu instead of situps (i have a different ab routine - no situps involved). I am recovering from a brutal frisbee workout this weekend
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 16:17

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm a fan of both weights and bodyweight exercises. I feel that the bodyweight exercises are definitely for beginners in that they can do this comfortably and privately at home. As the weight comes off they'll feel more confident in attending a gym. Or they may decide the bodyweights are just what they need and can modify from there. They can do the workouts slow or fast and get two completely different workouts. Weights are fine, but I only like them at home. Personally, I dislike gyms, waiting for equipment, wiping others' sweat, people goofing off and thinking its a coffee bar or something. Not every gym is like that, I'm sure (just not my personal experience to get a good one), and a beginner may just need the discipline of meeting at the gym, and "going public" with the goal of losing/shaping. Both are great, neither is the end-all-be-all.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 20:13

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

No doubt, everyone can benefit from some bodyweight conditioning. You're only limited to your creativity.