Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: At what age or event/time in life did we gain weight at?
I was an overweight child. (please explain at what age you started to gain) 102 44.16%
I became overweight after having children. 36 15.58%
The weight just gradually climbed higher later on in life. 57 24.68%
There was a tramatic or (even any) event that I started to gain weight afterwards. 20 8.66%
Other-(Please explain below.) 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 20:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/136.5/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:33.5%/23.4%/21.5%
Progress: 84%

I was thin growing up and stayed thin until I got to college. While I was growing up my mom controlled every bite I ate & I was allowed absolutely no sugar. When I got out on my own I at any and all bad carbs I could get my hands on. Gaining 5-10 pounds a year until last May when someoneI knew shared her success on Atkins. It seems, it was what my body was begging for, to get back to no sugar. I wish it wasn't that way but it is so I'll just have to learn to live with it or without it (the sugar that is) the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 21:34

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 440.0/421.0/200.0 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I was in elementary school wearing a size 12 in womens! I always "knew" I was fat... but it really didn't start bothering me until I was a senior in high school. I looked at myself one day and was just like... "OH MY GOD - I'm fat"... when I got in college it got worse... I wasn't worried about who liked me or whatever... I was just embarassed at what I looked like. So I started to lose.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-05, 23:54
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I became overweight after having my first baby.

I was a thin kid growing up.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (pure)
Stats: 213.8/208.7/165 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I was skinny as heck until the age of 8-9, then I started gaining slowly but surely. The problem was two-fold, that year I had a teacher who seemed to have it in for me and pretty much did away with my self-esteem which caused me to seek refuge in food. On the other hand, I ate at noon with my grandmother who lived close by, I also stayed with her after school until my parents could come pick me up. She showed love through food. I was denied nothing: chocolate, chips, etc. She always made sure there was plenty to go around.
Since then, I emotionally binged a lot which only made everything worse. The fatter I got, the less self-esteem I had, the more I ate.
I reached my top weigth around age 21-22 at about 198lbs (I'm 5.4ft).
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 03:52
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I was thin, infact model thin for most of my life, and then once I hit 18 or 20 the weight began to pile on then. I found out I had PCOS, but I do think I was overeating too.
I think sometimes you are pre-disposed to being heavy all of your life, and sometimes, like me, I was thin and then put on weight - which I think was 50% illness and 50% my own fault
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 03:52

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ive always been heavy, although in school I was considered "chunky" until 4th grade, then I remember going shopping for and easter dress and having to buy a Womans 18!!! what a sad day it is when a 10 year old sees those numbers
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 06:55
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I started off tall and thin but developed food issues in my early teens. Then I was tall and chubby and had to fight to stay "just chubby". I didn't get significantly overweight until I was in college, but ever since then it has been a major up-down battle with weight.

I do remember sneak eating and hiding food as early as 12 .
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 07:38

Stats: 194/171.8/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 41%

I was skinny as a kid and after highschool. Then I got pregnant and gained a lot of weight, like 40 lbs. Then after the baby I slowly got up to 10 lbs more.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 08:24

Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I was a "chunky" child but when I got to 13 I became anorexic and I lost a tremendous amount of weight and I struggled with this issue for years. Then I was a normal weight during my pregnancies and it wasn't until 7 years ago that my weight soared.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: ER4YT and Atkins
Stats: 172/146/139 Female 5'2"
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 79%

I was normal/thin as a child. We would have bacon and eggs for breakfast and come home for a hot lunch (main meal of day) My father worked a few blocks away, and supper was leftover soup from lunch and cold German sausage and salad.

I started to gain weight in high school when there was no time to get home for lunch so I would take a sandwich (which I hated) some fruit. I would always fall asleep in the pm. I was playing a lot of sports which helped keep off too much weight. My sister went to well over 200 lbs at this point, I went up to 150 and a size 10.

When I left home, I was able to keep a stable weight as I was very active and ate what I liked (very Atkins like). Started a family and thought it was important to cut down on red meat. Ended up with severe eczema and asthma. Have been eating a combination of Blood Type and Atkins in 1997 and have been able to maintain a decent weight range for 7 years.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 08:48

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I was a skinny kid until I was 8. I'm not sure exactly which event triggered huge amounts of eating as a few major things were going on: my much desired brother was born, we moved to a new neighbourhood away from all my friends to a place where I had none and was teased constantly and I continued to be abused by a family acquaintence. The combination left me miserable, alone and eating everything I could reach to try to dull the pain.

By 10, I outgrew all the "pretty plus" kids' clothes and by 12, I was in a 14 womens. I ate my way through high school reaching 235 at 16. I remember my sister making me a grad dress because they didn't come in my size and teasing me about it being made by a tent and awning shop because it looked just like a big violet tent. (My sis was the same size as me, 4 years older - she's even bigger now).

It wasn't until I left my parent's home that I started to lose weight and actually care how I looked.

Now, I promise myself to never get anywhere near those big numbers again.

Julie
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 09:38

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:

I was very, very skinny as a child, and not particularly interested in food. My favorite snack was cold, plain, iceburg lettuce. And then puberty hit and it's been a fight ever since then. Sometimes I won, sometimes the fat won.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 09:44
Registered Member

Stats: 190/190/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Default Overweight as a kid

I have always been a little on the chunky side. As a kid, I always got tons of exercise. We lived across the street from an awesome city park, with a free swimming pool in the summer, a pond which we would skate on in the winter, and a huge hill for sledding. My mom didn't own a car, so we walked everywhere. However, I ate junk food like it was going out of style. Candy, ice cream, you name it! I often think back to my eating habits, realizing that if I had cut out all the sugar, I would have been an incredibly lean kid!

The fact that I was always a little on the heavy side has made it difficult to figure out what my goal weight should be now. How many others have had this problem & what did you do about it?
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 10:21

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Wow, I'm amazed that I'm in the majority (overweight child).

My parents tried to feed me healthy but someone close to me said, when I was nine, that I should start watching what I eat. This constant mention of my weight and dieting was enough to send me spiraling out of control in a binge and starve, gorge and diet cycle which has lasted through to my adult years.

I don't blame that person at all. I wish he had thought about the things he said to me when I was young. I know he did it to try and help as he is overweight and didn't want me to turn out that way too.

I blame myself but I'm taking control of my life. I've been what I consider "average - to - thin" a few times in my life. As a teenager and when I was 22 and then again at 23. So I know I can do it.

I know y'all can, too!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 10:24

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Oh, I would also like to add that I'm glad I grew up a little overweight. As I enter my mid 20's I notice many girls my age who were very thin (without dieting) struggling with their weight gain (which is a natural aging process, but only to a small degree). They are not used to eating healthfully and are putting on weight very quickly. They don't know how to handle not being "beautiful" (as they think... personally I don't agree with beauty having a definite form) or thin as they used to be. I know a few girls who cry about it a lot, or refuse to buy plus sized clothing because of the stigma attached.

So growing up and always watching what I eat, and knowing how important exercise and activity is, I am faring quite well in not gaining significant amounts of weight in comparison to when I was young. I'm still overweight, but emotionally I can deal with it without self-hatred.

Does anyone feel similarly?