Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 16:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 157/141/130 Female 5ft7inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

My cat was recently diagnosed with diabetes and his vet recommended Science Diet MD-It's high protein, high fiber and low carb. It comes in dry and canned, and he really likes it-no problem switching over.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 18:15
Hullo dahlin'

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/168 Female 5'7"
BF:nonononononono
Progress: 0%
Exclamation

My dogs eat pasta, chicken, veggies and rice every now and then.
Human food is not neccessarily bad for them IF it is the right stuff..Not just table scraps.

As for a cat, one should be very careful about putting them on a diet...It can actually end up hurting them more than helping them. Use a good natural food, and speak with your vet.

For dogs, good food without all the chemiclas etc, Old Mother Hubbard, Wellness, Nutro & Solid Gold..
Same goes for kitties too.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 18:41

Stats: 286/264/130 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have a Pug, which means ANY diet is just fine by her! However, I am determined to keep her at a healthy weight, since pugs can become plump, so I feed her a good Nutro all natural food. I was feeding her Innova, another human grade all natural, but the only store that carries it here (we've moved recently) is so far away it just isn't practical anymore.

Of course, I wouldn't dream of taking away her treats...pupperoni, which she considers the staff of life!

She does share some of my LC dinners from time to time and of course enjoys them greatly.

Just FYI, don't feed your dog onions (in any amount) or garlic (in large amounts), they can cause anemia that you may not notice, but cumulative damage can shorten the life of your pet. The following items are also toxic to dogs, although the damage may not be immediately apparent: Grapes and raisins are also bad for them, also broccoli. Pork and ham, or any salty meat, especially fat, is also not good and can cause pancreatitis. Generally any fat from meat is bad for them. I've also read that raw potatoes, tomatoes including leaves and stems, turkey skin, peaches, cherries and apples (the core seeds contain cyanide) and nuts (especially, but not only, macadamia nuts) are toxic. And of course, there's chocolate, specifically dark and/or baker's chocolate which is toxic. Add mushrooms, raw eggs and coffee or any caffeine products to this list as well.

Carrots (just the orange part) are good for them, and some green beans are okay. I feed these as treats from time to time.

I guess the best answer is to stick to a really good, high quality (best if the food reads "human grade" and does not say "animal byproducts". It takes the guess work out. Once I did some research into what foods were bad for dogs, I was astounded at the list of toxic and potentially toxic items. Their systems just don't process foods the same way ours do.

Sorry for the ramble, I just thought it might be some useful info for dog owners (or dog-owned, I should say . I know onions and garlic are bad for cats too, but I don't have a full list of toxic items for them.

Last edited by RainCM : Wed, Jul-28-04 at 18:53.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 18:52

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Okay - I have a couple comments.... do you think the low carb pet food is cheaper than some of the "people" foods? Could we use it as cereal! ha ha
RickinTN: you have a sugarglider? How long have you had it? I think they are so cool but my cat would probably have a heart attack trying to find a way to get at it! I had priced one awhile back and they wanted $250 for it. Is that the going rate? I am in MN so maybe it is higher here. hmmmm sugarglider.... do you think they have a splendaglider.... sorry... couldn't resist! ha
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:02
Registered Member

Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

i am so surprised that none of you are raw feeders. i feed my great dane raw meat and bones only. never saw any wild dogs/wolves harvesting wheat for their meals. we know how unnecessary grains are for us, its 100 times sillier for a dog or cat.

it is so funny to watch a 200 lb dog lay there and chomp on his whole chicken...like being at the zoo during feeding time.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:09

BF:

I've heard about the BARF (bones and raw food) diet, but I have questions about feeding bones to my dog, especially chicken bones which can splinter badly. However, I know alot of folks swear by it, so if it's working for you and your dog, that's great!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:09

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

eve25- I don't know about others here but I have a hard enough time keeping meat in my fridge for me and my family... ha My goldie would eat me out of house and home if I let him! ha
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:13
Registered Member

BF:

uncooked bones dont splinter, they crunch. its the cooked bones that are a big no-no. i feed him a whole entire chicken or rack of pork ribs, and he eats every single bone. maybe once or twice he has coughed up a bone but thats bc he swallowed a piece too big and his stomach couldnt handle it, so he spit it back out to chew up better. it never got STUCK.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:15
Registered Member

BF:

oh llabonte you are not kidding about that, my dane eats about 5 pounds of meat a day. thats not cheap. we dont have any kids yet and fortunately my husband can afford it for his little baby. (by the way my avatar is him at 5 months old.)
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:28

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

When the vet put my bigger puss on a weight reduction diet, I read the label and amazingly, it was completely LC with extra fiber!

The big puss lost 3 pounds over a year (from 18 down to 15 pounds and nearly all muscle) while the little puss lost about 8 ounces (from 9.5 down to 8.8 pounds). And isn't that how LC ing works in people? Hohoho.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:42
Registered Member

Stats: 178/162/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I have 16 dogs ... 15 Jack Russell Terriers and a large lurcher [cross bred sight hound] ... and none of them have ever had commercial "dog food".

I feed them raw meat ... raw grated veggies/fruits. In the winter time ... I sometimes add a bit of rice or oatmeal to their food ... but for the most part their diet is and has been "low carb".

The way I feed isn't "new" or "radical" ... lots of us [breeders] feed this way.

A local butcher gathers all the grindings, organ meats, etc and freezes them together ... and then cuts the blocks into 1 to 2 pound "bricks" ... and sells this to dog breeders at $ .25 per pound ... which makes it far cheaper for me to feed them good, human-grade meat ... as opposed to "god-only-knows-what" in commercial dog food.

This diet has meant that my dogs are very healthy, have high immune systems ... breed and reproduce well ... give birth naturally without fuss or bother [well except for Elsie who always wants to try to convince me that she should really give birth in the middle of our king sized bed ... under the covers!]

The theory behind this diet which is often referred to as Bones And Raw Food ... is that in the wild, wolves would eat such a diet ... and the only grains that they would get would be in a partially digested form in the stomachs of their quarry.

Works for them ...
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 19:55

BF:

Yes, as I said, I know alot of folks swear by the BARF diet for their dogs, and if you've got the money, time and inclination, I say go for it. Although I've got to tell you, I can just imagine my 17lbs pug munching away on a whole, raw chicken! Also, since pugs have been a domesticated breed for about 3000 years, they no longer have a whole lot in common with wolves, but she does love the soup bones I give her to gnaw on!

For me, I'm going to stick with my human grade dog food. I've always fed my animals the best prepared food I could find, and they have all lived exceptionally long, healthy, happy lives. I think you have to find what works best for you and your pet and stick to it.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 20:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCM
Also, since pugs have been a domesticated breed for about 3000 years, they no longer have a whole lot in common with wolves.

hey to each his/her own. this isnt a super easy way to feed and you dont have to give any excuses for choosing not to. however, i know it sounds gross, but if you were to skin a wolf and skin a dog (any dog), you wouldnt be able to tell the difference (except for size). same digestive tract, same enzymes, same dna, etc. and yes that includes pugs, chihuahas, yorkies, goldens, mastiffs, etc.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 20:07
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainCM
Of course, I wouldn't dream of taking away her treats...pupperoni, which she considers the staff of life!

Our two german shepherds would DEFINITELY agree!!! The only thing they love more than pupperoni is dogwiches. Have you tried them?

Jeannie
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 20:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve25
hey to each his/her own. this isnt a super easy way to feed and you dont have to give any excuses for choosing not to. however, i know it sounds gross, but if you were to skin a wolf and skin a dog (any dog), you wouldnt be able to tell the difference (except for size). same digestive tract, same enzymes, same dna, etc. and yes that includes pugs, chihuahas, yorkies, goldens, mastiffs, etc.

Definitely not giving any excuses. I don't feel the need to give an excuse because I do the very best by my dog. I was just giving my reason, what I feed my dog, and stating that no one way is the best way or the only way to have a healthy, happy pet. A reason is not an excuse, as there is absolutely nothing to excuse.

That said, I hope everyone here feeds their pets a healthy diet and gives them all the love and care the need just as much as food to live a long, happy life.