Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 09:09

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

sorry about your experience at curves. if you were at my curves, you would be looked at as someone who is doing the circuit the correct way! in my opinion the management/owner should know what you've told all of us here.

i too push my all on the machines, and oftentimes to get my heartrate within range will slowly move my feet on the platform stations. this is what i was taught, those stations are for recuperating.

if i decide to go to curves two days in a row, i will do the opposite the next day though. lightly working the machines, and then doing more aerobic/cardio on the stations.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 09:19

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepeta
sorry about your experience at curves. if you were at my curves, you would be looked at as someone who is doing the circuit the correct way! in my opinion the management/owner should know what you've told all of us here.

i too push my all on the machines, and oftentimes to get my heartrate within range will slowly move my feet on the platform stations. this is what i was taught, those stations are for recuperating.

if i decide to go to curves two days in a row, i will do the opposite the next day though. lightly working the machines, and then doing more aerobic/cardio on the stations.

The situation sucks but I do believe that everything happens for a reason I think it just might be the universe telling me that I am ready to get into some serious training and need to go somewhere where my goals are more supported!! So.... buh buy "curves" and hellooo "powerhouse"!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

WOW - that's expensive!

I pay $28 a month in Vancouver where I go, no initiation fee. It's co-ed though.

How about a community centre?
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 10:24

Well...I am paying $41.73/mo at Curves plus it cost $49.50 (1/2 price "deal") for the "service fee" upon sign-up. I figured I'm worth it!! I would rather pay the $42 for a gym that is fully "loaded". Ladies Fitness is close to home, had all sorts of aerobic equipment, free & universal weights, all fitness classes included, better hours and even showers (Curves has a toilet & sink). It's also quite the incentive to go religiously when I'm shelling out the bucks!!
(Plus, I'm saving all this money not buying wine with this wol so I don't feel the pinch AS bad!! )
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 11:39

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Is there any way to get a free day pass to TRY the place?

I live in a city with dozens fitness centers. Because of the competition, we always get free day passes. My WORST experiences were in the ladies only gyms. Less than 10% of the ladies were there to do ANY workout. This spa/social club style maybe help to ease anxiety for new members, but believe me, those ladies might be much more mean than any man in a co-ed gym. If you feel uncomfortable from looks, remarks, maybe a co-ed could be better place.
(How strange. If a man has a mean remark - it is considered sexual harassement in the US, but a woman can say ANYTHING to another woman?)

Something else - maybe it is only my sensitivity: I am choking from the smell of sprays, other cosmetics.
Here the ladies only gyms are more expensive than the co-ed ones.

This is my - special - South California experience, it could be very different in other areas, countries.

I would second Built: is there any community centre nearby? They are the friendliest places.

Whatever is your choice, good luck, take care:

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jul-12-04 at 11:48.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 11:43
Registered Member

BF:

My thing about gyms is that I train like a man. I don't see women pushing themselves as hard as I do or as hard as the men do.

If I only trained with women, I don't think I'd have seen anyone training as hard - I may not have pushed myself as hard as I do because I might not have realized that I could.

But hey, you can do that ANYWHERE. The big deal, is that you GO.

#22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriell
Is there any way to get a free day pass to TRY the place?

I would second Built: is there any community centre nearby? They are the friendliest places.

Whatever is your choice, good luck, take care:

Eva
Thanks, Eva.
I was a member of this gym a few years back(and many years before, they still have my records!!). I was happy with the facility/people etc...I stopped going when I was recouping from an MVA and my Dad got really sick... Anyhoo, I thought since the Curves location was closer and all the stuff I had heard about the place was most positive, and since I was getting back into seriously exercising, it was my best option at the time. Unfortunately, I guess the very intimate atmosphere at Curves allows for everyone to watch every move you make, there were a couple of people who obviously disliked my personalization of the workout and made me feel very self concious and uncomfortable. Not very conducive to a good workout!! The local community center has very few strength training options and is always packed (I went there for a few early morn WO's and could not believe the volume of people). Ladies Fitness is huge, has tons of stuff and I think it's my best option at this time. To tell you the truth, I should have just gone back there in the first place. Oh well, live and learn!!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 13:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built
My thing about gyms is that I train like a man. I don't see women pushing themselves as hard as I do or as hard as the men do.

I don't like to train like a "woman" either. I definately like the "grunting" effort one must put out to really work it!! Nothing drives me more crazy than seeing a woman wasting her time just casually "going thru the motions" of a workout.
You may train like a man, Built, but from what I see, you are one strong, powerfull WOMAN!!!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 13:26
Registered Member

BF:

Manly, yes, but I like it TOO!

#25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 21:36
Registered Member

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 238/211/190 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

28 bucks a month? For a real gym? I shell out 85 a month for me and the wife and its a freakin YMCA.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-04, 21:47
Registered Member

BF:

It's a wussy gym, but it's cheap and it's close to where I work.

You can get into a REAL gym in Vancouver for that, though.

And it's Canadian $...

Hee hee!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 06:05

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
28 bucks a month? For a real gym? I shell out 85 a month for me and the wife and its a freakin YMCA

YMCA's are typically MUCH MORE expensive than a regular "gym". That doesn't mean you aren't getting other stuff for the money. At our Y they have basketball courts, raquetball, olympic swimming pool for swimming laps. My gym is $35 a month but I am getting ready to switch to Gold's Gym for $20 a month
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 08:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmelz
YMCA's are typically MUCH MORE expensive than a regular "gym". That doesn't mean you aren't getting other stuff for the money. At our Y they have basketball courts, raquetball, olympic swimming pool for swimming laps. My gym is $35 a month but I am getting ready to switch to Gold's Gym for $20 a month

That's just it. If you actually use your membership on a regular basis and, at the same time, enjoy what you're doing and getting healthier, it's worth it's weight in gold IMO. After all, as far as money is concerned, you can't "take it with you". Might as well be healthy and happy while you're on this Earth.
(Have you ever seen a Hearse towing a U-Haul??? :lol
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-04, 20:04

I joined today!!!
This gym has really grown!! Not only can I use the "ladies only" side that has absolutely everything you would ever want in a gym (except for a pool-love swimming) But I can go thru a door to the co-ed side and use all that equipment as well!! TONS of free weights over there!! Childminding, pilates, yoga, bodypump, nia (whatever that is!!) ,hip-hop, latin dance, and several more fitness classes, suntanning, sauna, showers, the latest in cardio equip, some machines called kieser, the list goes on....This place is huge!!!
I can hardly wait to get started over there. I don't think there will be much of a chance to get bored with my workout. I was there at 9 this morn and it was not busy. The gal that signed me up said mornings are a great time to go. WOO HOO!!! I swear, everything happens for a reason!!!! Can ya tell I'm excited!!
Now all I have to do is wait till tomorrow morn!!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 04:13
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschmelz
YMCA's are typically MUCH MORE expensive than a regular "gym".

Really? I ask because I am thinking of joining the local YMCA because I find the YWCA just is not doing it for me anymore. At the YWCA I was paying around $19.00 a month.