Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 20:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'd be interested, but don't think I can make the suggested times, so everyone have a great time for me!

Darn work keeping me busy & making me miss the fun stuff

Wynter
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 00:49
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thursday evening's sounding good, but I'm not sure the Quay's open at that time. Any ideas on another place to go, or what kind of food?
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 01:00

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thursday night would work for me, too... I'll have to check this thread from work tomorrow to see what's up. Hope we haven't left it too late?

Anny, I think the Quay stays open late on Thursdays but the food in the food fair was awful the last time I was there. However, the rotisserie turkey sounds yummy! And there are a couple of low carb breads available in the market there (some from the Red Square place). Would you have time to call the market, please, Anny? If we go there, some of us can do some shopping while we're at it... And while a food fair is not the most comfortable place, at least there should be enough room. I'll PM you my work and cell numbers, Anny, so you can keep me in the loop, k?

There is a Greek place on Columbia where they were most accommodating to me once (saganaki served with cucumber slices instead of pita). Only problem is, I can't remember the name of it! Arggggggggh. Maybe I'll drive by there on my way to work tomorrow. I have no idea how busy they would be - the time I was there, the restaurant was full so we ate in the bar (and that's where the waitress was so helpful).

Crystal, yes.. I'm the same one from the Yahoo group

Last edited by jeanyyy : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 01:17.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 01:18
WannaHaveFun

BF:

Hi everybody. I searched the Quay and called their info line--they say they're only open 10 to 6, unfortunately.

We probably need to consider Plan B! Is The Boathouse too expensive? THere's a nice Greek place on the water (east end of Columbia) but y'all just had Greek.... Other than that I'm stymied but maybe it will come to me overnight....

Jeannie, i'll keep ya posted.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 01:24

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

I can't do Thursday night, but I can do Friday, anytime after 1230!! Actually, Friday is the best for me (payday AND DH home for kids AND I have the van...) Hope you decide on Friday, but if not--c'est la vie, I'll catch ya next time

Nicole
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:00

BF:

Possibilities:

- Royal City Center at 6th and 6th in New West has a small food court, as well as a restaurant in the mall. Again, I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but we *could* meet in the food court. There is lots of parking underneath the mall. I will drive by on my way to work to check the name of the restaurant. It has changed several times over the years and MAY be a White Spot now, but I'm not absolutely positive.

- Golphis Steak & Lobster, 1122 Fifth Avenue, New Westminster, BC V3M1Y6 (604) 524-3677. Parking on the street in the area. [Nicole and I ate here once - basically Greek type food, including a roast lamb special for about $10]

- Sammy J Peppers: 2 locations, one at 4755 Kingsway near Metrotown Mall (parking in the building which you access from the back - looks like a residential building from there). The other is at 1075 Lougheed Highway, Coquitlam, near Superstore/Canadian Tire etc. http://www.sjpeppers.com/index.php?...9e952204f0f9576

For any of the ones listed below, we'd definitely need a reservation due to the size/popularity of the restaurant, but so far we don't have a count, do we?

- Vassilis Souvlaki Greek Taverna, 6558 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V5E1C5, (604) 434-0626 (near Royal Oak). They have their own parking lot.

- Burger Heaven Restaurant,77 Tenth Street, New Westminster, BC V3M3X4 (604) 522-8339. There is parking across the street in the London Drugs mall lot. [limited menu, but a variety of burgers and we can always get them without the bun, right?].

-Taverna Greka Greek Restaurant, 326 Columbia Street, New Westminster, BC V3L1A6 (604) 526-6651. Pay parking in the Parkade only, sorta "behind" Columbia Street, up a ramp. [This is the waterfront one, across the street - water side - from the one I mentioned earlier - can't find that name online]

I think we need to decide on a day and a location SOON, or we will just plain run out of time as far as tonight is concerned, at least. I am limited in my access to the Forum from work, but will jump on quickly when I get there with the names of the 2 restaurants that are missing. Then someone needs to assume a "social convenor" role and choose a date and location and possibly call to make a reservation (even if you have to guess at the number). Wish I could do it, but personal access to the internet from work is really not a good idea. Anny and Nicole have my numbers, though, and I have Karen's/Anny's/Nicole's with me. I'm not sure what time Karen gets off work plus she has about an hour's drive to get to New West, depending on traffic..

#22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:12
WannaHaveFun

BF:

So far we have Crystal, Karen, Jean & me for tonight, presumably around 6 or 7.

Thanks for the list, Jean. The New West places appeal to me most tonight, just to keep it simple.

Another thought is The Met Bar & Grill--very casual and friendly bar in a heritage building by Columbia SkyTrain station. http://www.themethotel.com/ is web site with a couple pics of the restaurant but no menu that i can see. They do have a low-carb burger platter that includes a Caesar salad. I've had it and must've ruled out that there were breadcrumbs in the burger but we'd have to ask again. They also have another meat-abundant dish that's pretty famous (something to do with the river and towboats maybe???) but i can't remember what it's called.

I vote for The Met at 6 or 7 depending on when Karen's available. Again, I put that out there and people can shoot me down! I can be social convenor if people get back to me early today. No reservation required.

TTFN,
a.

Last edited by sunpines : Thu, Mar-04-04 at 10:20.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/38%/?
Progress: 33%

6 or 7 at the Met would work good for me.

Is it all right if I bring my Mom? She's diabetic and although she does not follow a stict low carb, she does have a carefully contolled, lower carb diet to control her diabetes.

I can walk down the hill (and Mom works on Columbia so she can just stay down there after work), but if Jean or someone Burnaby or Vancouver bound could give us a lift up the hill afterwards (we're at 6th Street and 8th Avenue) that would be great as going uphill is murder on the arthritis in both of our knees.

Let us know and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tonight!

Crystal
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:02

BF:

The Met sounds do-able to me, too. I've eaten there before, ages ago, but can't remember much.. It is near the "other" Greek restaurant I mentioned earlier. As soon as I get to the office, I will call Karen to find out what time would work for her.

Nicole, I will call you too, cos I have an idea that may allow you to join us tonight.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

7 would be better for me. If I'm late, that means I'm lost!

Karen
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:10

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Been following along this thread and as much as I'd love to come, I get to work both Thursday and Friday nights. Have fun you guys!

Marlaine
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 11:11
WannaHaveFun

BF:

We have a PLAN!

7 PM at The Met Bar & Grill at:

The Met Hotel
411 Columbia Street
New Westminster, BC

That's on the north side of Columbia by the Columbia SkyTrain station.

So far we have:

Karen
Jean
Crystal
Crystal's mom
Anny
possibly Anny's DH (if that won't constrain the conversation too much...and he hasn't expressed any interest so far)
possibly Nicole--Jean to call

ANOTHER THOUGHT: Those of us who are out here could still consider getting together for coffee tomorrow (Fri.) afternoon, that way if Nicole can't make it tonight she can meet a few of us anyway.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:18

BF:

OK, 7 works for me. And Nicole will join us - just talked to her on the phone. I have left a message for Karen and will give her directions if she needs them! YAY!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:29
WannaHaveFun

BF:

Great news! Guess I don't need to call you, eh, Jeannie? See y'all tonight.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:30

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Yep, all obstacles have been removed, including watching Survivor on Eastern time (from 5-6 instead of 8-9)...see ya'll there

Nicole