Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:02
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm a charter member of Scale-aholics Anonymous. I think we should all band together and hide ALL scales except for MONTHLY weigh-ins. I struggle to cut back on my weigh-ins, but curiousity gets me and the number tends to dictate my feelings for the day.

I'm considering taking my Dr Phil book (which has helped a LOT, BTW) and using it to kill my scale!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:06

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

I'm sorry you are struggling with the SBD and wish I knew what to tell you that would get you on track...It sounds like you are doing the SBD by the book...and maybe that's the problem...

I've never in my life done anything by the book...my DW says sarcastically it's because I'm the smartest man in the world...NOT...anyway, I don't follow SBD to the letter...I use the book as a guide to a healthier WOE. I'll admit that many of the things some folks here find confusing never occurred to me.

I use the food lists, meal plans, and glysemic index as guides to my daily eating. In the 54 days since I started I have only used 2 of the recipies from the book and I've never used one of the daily meal plans. I do use the plans and recipies to help me with portion control and general direction in what I should eat.

I've not fretted about a tablespoon of mayo here or a pinto bean there or even a LF latte everyday...I've even had small quantities of rice three or four times...I do fret over bad carbs and bad fats in the big picture...I avoid ANY sugar, potatoes, pasta(even whole wheat at this point), white bread, trans fats, etc. Even if I don't lose weight I'm convinced that this WOE is far superior to the 4000 calories per day and bad carbs/fats I was consuming previously...life in the twinkie lane...I'm now consuming around 1700+or- per day without hunger or craving.

While I've lost 21 lbs so far, I think I'm prepared for the time when this may slow even more or stop...should I go back to eating like I was previously?...I certainly hope not. Common sense tells me that my health in general is better off with this WOE.

I believe that the key to this WOE is to get to the point that it becomes second nature...just as eating the way I did previously was second nature. The weight loss will slow at times, I may gain at times, or I may lose at lot at times, but, the key is that I'm eating in a very healthy way.

I experiment with this WOE a lot...and have learned, for example, that if I have a whole wheat english muffin for breakfast I'd better not have whole wheat bread for lunch or a sweet potato for dinner. Just because items are on the added in list for Phase II doesn't mean that I can eat them whenever I want and in what ever quantity I want.

I know that this WOE may not be for everyone, but, I've made a committment for the long haul...it just makes too much sense to me...I know that if I'm eating good carbs and good fats in conjuntion with portion control and exercise I will eventually lose the weight and be more healthy.

Last edited by pstar : Tue, Mar-02-04 at 12:03.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

You can still have pizza! Take La Tortilla (or any high fiber, lo carb tortillas) top with a smidge of tomato sauce, italian herbs, peppers, mushrooms, etc, and low fat mozzarella cheese, and bake at 350 for ten minutes or so. Yummy crisp crust lo carb (and glycemic index) pizza!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 14:50

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Smile

Hi Mabel good idea and if you want you can add some ground turkey, lean boiled ham or chicken to get in your protein. Add a green side salad and you are set.
Pat S.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 292/285/185 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 7%

Well I was gonna try and make the pizza Mabel mentioned, but couldn't find any LC tortillas at the grocery store. Should I be able to find them in a normal grocery store or will I need to get them via a specialty store or the Net?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:59

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

not alone-- I get my lc tortillas from www.netrition.com The brand is La Tortilla and I get the plain ones....they make very tasty pizza crusts!!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:32

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Tash, I'd be happy to be your buddy - same stats (although only now, I started with more) - and also from Germany, and also haven't lost for nearly 2 months. But I am trying to be really really good for a few weeks now and see if no cheat not even phase 2 allowed stuff works - and that also means eating snacks regularly. Let us know what happened!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 07:58

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%

Hi All,

I think that what pstar said makes the most sense of all.After a great start,a rocky start to P2,I came to realize that all the things he said are true.Everyone would do well to scroll back and read the post a few times...myself included.

I think folks do worry too much about every ingredient and I do believe that Dr. A wants us to make life choices which means we can't always eat everything the same down to the cal.Also,we need to be mindful that what works for one may not work for another.When I get back off P1 induction(again) I am going to be more careful about what I add in and definitely only one thing at a time.I believe that I was reacting to the wheat or milk.

I doubt that it is a good idea to stress too much over this WOE.We need to listen closely to our bodies and do what is right for ourselves but like pstar said...it is still healthier and once your body adjusts you will lose the weight.

Have a great day,
Linda
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:04

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

This is info sent out in the official SBD newsletter this morning...

Are you in Phase 1 and wondering why you haven't been able to lose as much weight as you'd like? Don't quit the diet yet! There are a few possible explanations:
  1. Your diet before going on the Beach was already pretty healthy. Phase 1 weight loss is attributable to a loss of water associated with limiting carbs as well as fat loss due to a decrease in the overall intake of calories. If your diet already limited carbs, chances are you're not retaining as much water weight as the average overweight person.
  2. You just came off a low-carb diet. For the same reason as above, you may not see drastic Phase 1 weight loss.
  3. You don't have much weight to lose. If you're looking to drop 5 to 10 pounds or less, you may experience a more gradual weight loss.
  4. You're going through menopause. Women experiencing hormonal changes have a harder time losing weight.
  5. You have a medical condition that prevents you from losing weight. Some dieters have other reasons for their weight gain or slow-to-nonexistent weight loss. Only your physician can determine if you fit into this category.
If you're not satisfied with your rate of weight loss and there is no existing medical condition or hormonal change that would prevent you from losing weight, try upping the intensity and duration of your exercise routine. Adding weight-bearing exercise to your workout can also aid in weight loss.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 08:06

Plan: Slim in 6
Stats: 232/????/162 Female 5'7"
BF:too much :-)
Progress: 74%

Tasha,

I am 5'7 also and my low on Atkins was 162. I am currently fighting like crazy to get back there but it has been a long haul for me.I'm at 175 now but hoping to lose a few more on induction this week. What I was wondering was your bone structure.I am big boned and at 162 I was in a comfy size 12.Are you sure that 20 lbs. less is where you really want to be.I think that is at the low end of the weight range.Then again,you may be built smaller and be younger than myself so maybe that is a better weight for you(?)

Linda
PS.I am originally from Pa.,too.Have you ever been to the Bloomsburg Fair in northeast Pa.?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5.8" or 1,73 m
BF:

HI Lawoman!

Yeah, I'd consider myself a big girl ;-) at least that's what my hubby calls me (and he loves it). I have a pretty strong back and am or never was petite. I do look alright already at 160, but am just curious how much better I'd look at 150..... thought it might be worth trying, even though I haven't weighed that little since I was 18 or so. Am I crazy or what?

I am not originally from PA, but moved here in 2001 from Berlin, Germany. I am now in State College, pretty much smackdab in the middle of PA --- thankfully, the vicinity of NYC, D.C., Philly and Baltimore keep me sane!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:15

Plan: Protein Power/Int Fasting
Stats: 204/161/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

If you haven't had your thyroid checked, I'd suggest doing so. I'm postmenopausal and got so discouraged with my weight creeping up even though I was constantly dieting and being fairly faithful. I finally decided to go to the doctor -- took food logs with me and was determined not to take, "you just need to cut back more" from her. She did bloodwork and it turns out my thyroid gland was operating a bit low -- not low enough to normally warrant meds., but she decided to try a low dose anyway. I haven't seen any dramatic weight loss -- 3 lbs. in three weeks, but at least the scale is going in the right direction. At 5'4", I have 35 lbs. to lose to get back to where I was 5 years ago. It's going to be a long haul. Anyway, this is a long-winded way of suggesting you get your thyroid tested.

Last edited by belfrybat : Fri, Mar-05-04 at 10:21.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAlone
Well I was gonna try and make the pizza Mabel mentioned, but couldn't find any LC tortillas at the grocery store. Should I be able to find them in a normal grocery store or will I need to get them via a specialty store or the Net?

If your favorite grocery store is negligent on supplying its selves with low carb products, they need to know that you would like to buy them. Grocery stores are pretty good at supplying their shelves with stuff that people want to buy, but they need to know that you want the items.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:59

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:

Not Alone,
I get the La Tortilla Factory Tortillas at Albertsons,Safeway (Vons),Fred Meyer (Kroger) and my health food store. If you don't see them request your store Manager get them for you. I eat them as wraps the fact they only have 3 net carbs makes them a wonderful subsitute for bread. Pat S.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 16:16

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashinpa
I am not originally from PA, but moved here in 2001 from Berlin, Germany. I am now in State College, pretty much smackdab in the middle of PA --- thankfully, the vicinity of NYC, D.C., Philly and Baltimore keep me sane!

Tasha-- LOL Had to laugh at your middle of nowhere PA comment....I went to college 45 mins from State College. Just went back and visited last weekend!! I live right near Philly so I understand...2 whole different worlds!!!!