Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 05:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

You know what gets me...... When people (most at work) tell me that I should not loose anymore weight or ask me why I am still eating low carb. I tell then that they would not say that if they saw me with my shirt off and I will always eat low carb because of the health benefits....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:20

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I get the "your STILL on that diet?" question a lot. I try to calmly tell them that I will probably be eating this way for life, and then their eyes cross and roll back in their heads. Trying to convince people that this really is a way of eating and that I'm not going to go back to my old ways is very hard! They think that now that I've lost some weight, I need to "eat right". You want to yell - but folks, your way if "eating right" is how I got fat in the first place!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:34
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

My biggest pet peeve is people (and by "people" I mean "my mother) who say "But surely you're going to eat a piece of my homemade pie..."

They think just because I've eaten something since I was a kid, I should continue to eat it for tradition's sake. Hello, people, I was fat since I was a kid too...see the correlation! It's just food. There are other things to enjoy in life besides food, and other ways to celebrate tradition.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 10:58

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

Have you noticed that since more Doctors are agreeing with this woe -people are starting to lay off with their low-fat comments. There is one good friend though who honestly cannot grasp the high fat concept! She means well-Just can't understand. She works overtime trying to please and I feel badly when it is still not a food I can eat. She has been on Weight Watchers.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 150/145/110 Female 4'11"
BF:29%/29%/22%
Progress: 13%

I'd say my biggest pet peeve is when my mom swears up and down that i'm not going to be healthy if I don't eat just a little rice every day. I swear I think she's going to claim i'm not asian anymore because I can't eat the rice filled dishes that she makes. And to top it off, now she lectures me almost everytime I see her about how brown rice is ok to eat on my diet. And everytime I try to explain it to her, I always get the reply "I just don't understand what kind of horrible diet won't let you eat rice". sheesh !
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 22:44

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I truly think the problem with all the people offering us "just one won't hurt" is that in the back of their minds have the calorie mentality. If you eat just one you can make up for the extra calories tomorrow. They don't understand, or they don't know, that this woe is not about "a few more calories" but hormone/blood chemistry that may take days or weeks to get back to good levels after eating the "just one won't hurt".
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 05:55

Stats: 200/145/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I suppose my biggest pet peeve is when I go to the local Drug Emporium and see people huddled around all of the low carb chocolate bars, shakes, chips, etc.... I see people clutching dozens of the things at a time. I want to step up and tell them to please not use those as a crutch. To try to get away from the quick fixes and to instead point that enthusiasm to the produce section at the grocery store.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My ultimate biggest gosh darn pet peeve is when so called experts say that low carbing causes liver and kidney problems, zits, hammer toes and fat asses, wars! At the same time there are enlightened professionals who can prove the health benefits of low carb high protein/fat diets. I hate when the experts say that there have been no long term studies of the health benefits to present skepticism. However, there are cultures who have eaten this WOE for centuries without diabetes or rickets. To me that is a gosh darn long term study, what the heck is wrong with professionals who believe in superstitions.

Last edited by black57 : Tue, Dec-09-03 at 12:44.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntanlove
.......They also say you need to eat fruit it is good for you......
But .. but .. Low-carbers eat LOTS of fruit. Cucumbers, bell peppers, olives, avocadoes, eggplant, zucchinis, tomatoes, squash ... these are all fruits (contain the seeds).

There is no essential nutrient in fruit that isn't also found abundantly in vegetables. Except sugar, and it's not essential

Doreen
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:53
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I hate when someone tells me I am getting obsessed. I think there is a definate difference between obsession and dedication or mind-set. I know what "just having one" will do to me and how long it may take me to get back into ketosis.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:56

Plan: Currently on PSMF cycle
Stats: 198/157/150 Female 5'9"
BF:? No thank U !!
Progress: 85%

Doreen...I'm so glad you pointed that out!!! Now when I get the "you can't eat fruit so it's not a healthy way to eat" speal, I'll have more to list than berries!!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:56

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have two peeves about this woe.
1. People who know how unheathly this woe is and haven't as much as cracked a book.
2. The stores that say there is not enough interest.
This drives me crazy. But I love this woe. I am never going back to being over weight.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 23:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Kim
I hate when someone tells me I am getting obsessed. I think there is a definate difference between obsession and dedication or mind-set. I know what "just having one" will do to me and how long it may take me to get back into ketosis.

You know, Ohio, people who "diet" are always complaining about not having any willpower. We lcers eat the right foods therefore we have ample willpower. It is not obsession it is willpower, tell them.

Mary
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 09:37

Stats: 165/165/120
BF:
Progress:

I have celiac disease which means that I cannot eat wheat (or a few other grains). For this reason, people just accept that I can't have certain things. I was very disappointed when I learned about my disease, but now I'm seeing the silver lining.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:22

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have been at my mother in law's house for lunch twice and dinner once since starting and she is always trying to get me to eat a little. One slice of bread or a small potato. I just say no. Sometimes if she offers me pop or juice I just say that i would prefer water. She also asked me if I wanted ketchup on my burger and I just said that I would rather have mayo instead of saying I can't have it.