Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 167/140/135
BF:30%/20%/15%
Progress: 84%

sln88 wrote:
Quote:
Can you tell us anything about your experience with SB? How long have you been doing it, what changes have you seen, have you ever done 'regular' weight lifting as a comparison, do you really only do it once a week?

My wife and I have been doing SB since February. Neither of us has lost or gained weight in that period, but we have seen wonderful changes in our shapes and in the definition of muscle. I think we have both added a few pounds of muscle (probably not much at our ages -- 50s) and lost a corresponding weight in fat. We have chosen to progress more slowly than one could, I think, but it's fast enough for us.

We have lifted weights before, me more than she, but the results from SB are better and quicker than in our previous experience. We work out at home with mostly dumbbells because it is so much more convenient for us (we routinely arise at 4 am and most gyms aren't open, and we don't waste the transit time), but I understand from the book that using machines in a gym is even better.

We work out twice a week, and it takes more than 15 minutes. We don't dawdle, but we don't rush, either, and a work out usually lasts 40-45 minutes. When we finish, we know we have been working out! In fact, we know it all day. But we are rarely sore at all, that day or the next.

And Iowagirl wrote:
Quote:
Hahn talks a lot about the stress on the joints caused by aerobic exercise...wondering if this applies to the elliptical machines? I'm not a big fan of cardio but I'm thinking I might keep one session a week - on my elliptical machines. Any thoughts?

As I recall from reading the book quite a few months ago, the negatives from most cardio activities was the punishment to joints and the risk of injury. I should think elliptical machines and other non-impact exercisers like NordicTrack would not produce those risks. If one wanted to use more calories in order to burn more fat, I should think an elliptical machine would be the way to go.

We stopped doing any cardio when we started doing SB, and yet I feel that I have more stamina and can walk up multiple flights of stairs more easily than before when I was using my NordicTrack 2 or 3 times/week. My wife and I balance each other well in that I have an enthusiastic nature that prompts me to the "more is better" approach to most things, including exercise, whereas she is more conservative in her approach and somewhat averse to exertion. So we have approached LC and exercise moderately. But when I look at these last few pounds of fat around my middle, I think about getting on the NordicTrack again.

Ron

p.s. I note that Fred Hahn's site (http://www.seriousstrength.com/) now has a link to a site selling videos -- a 3-tape set (with free timer!) for, I think, $119. A little steep for me, but I'm thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 08:26
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Make a copy for me!

I had the same thoughts on the elliptical machine. Like I said, I much prefer weights over cardio but sometimes its a good way to let off some extra steam/energy and change up the routine.

Thanks for the reply!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 18:18

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi
Thanks for your replies. How has the workout been going for you, Iowagirl? I will admit that I have not really been doing it. I found that I could not lift as much, and I need to get over that, and try it again.
I agree about the elliptical- I have so much to lose that I think I need some extra aerobics, and have been using the elliptical now and then. It is much easier to do now that I have done some weight lifting.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 09:25
empress of fashion

BF:

Going well for me, thanks. I do the slow burn once a week, elliptical once a week, other work outs (weights) twice a week.

I recommended the slow burn to my ex and his remark (after doing it) was "Damn!" - LOL!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:05
Registered Member

sln88 said:
Quote:
I will admit that I have not really been doing it. I found that I could not lift as much, and I need to get over that, and try it again.

I got quite a shock starting SlowBurn and realizing how little I could lift that way. And although I have been very pleased with results measured by appearance and clothing fit, I haven't increased the weights as much as I would have expected. As I understand the process, the idea is to use just enough weight to reach failure in 3 or 4 reps.

So, I encourage you to forget about how much weight you can or can't lift and trust the process. Paradoxically, it is when you reach failure, i.e., inability to move the weight anymore, that you succeed with this system.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 10:09
empress of fashion

BF:

How much do you lift, Ron? I generally work out with 5, 8 and 10 # dumbbells. I have found the 10 to be good but not as taxing as it possibly should be. Also use 2 leg weights to do the leg lifts and these aren't really difficult, either. I did add a hand held dumbbell for the leg lifts done on the floor (hold weight onto thigh while lifting) and I could feel THAT the next morning. Your thoughts?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:38
Registered Member

I'm going to have to guess since I don't have my list here at work:

side-lying leg lifts and hamstring curls -- I use ankle weights that are adjustable from .5 to 10 lb., and I am getting close to 10 lb. While that is enough to get a good burn going on the leg lifts, I think I need more for the curls, but haven't figured out how -- my cheap bench's leg curl attachment doesn't allow for full range of motion.

bicep curls and shoulder shrugs -- I have an EZ curl bar with enough plates to make it weigh about 30 lb.

squats -- a straight barbell with enough plates to make about 40 lb.

lateral raises (I can't remember the name SB uses) -- 10 lb. dumbbell

shoulder press -- adjustable dumbbells weighing about 13 lb. each

dumbbell rows (I can't remember the name SB uses) -- my wife does it like the book says, but I have been using the lat-pulldown attachment to my bench with about 40 lb. on it.

heel raises -- I do them one leg at a time and hold a 13 lb. dumbbell in the hand on the same side as the leg I am using

wrist curls -- these aren't in the program, but I'm trying to make my skinny forearms look better -- 13 lb. dumbbells

reverse wrist curls -- 10 lb. dumbbells

Of course, pushups and crunches use body weight, and I think my upper body has actually increased slightly in weight as I have gained muscle. I've been thinking about working dips and pull-ups into the program, too, but there are logistical issues I've been too lazy to address.

I like to move up in small increments, so I'd like to find dumbbells in 11, 12, etc., but I haven't yet. Maybe I'll get to the store this weekend.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:45
empress of fashion

BF:

I have added pec flys to this wo as well. 10 # dumbbells. I don't have a machine or access to one so I am doing the first wo's he describes, free weights. Think I might need to increase the poundage, certainly am not reaching failure in so few reps (except on the lateral raise - 10 # is excrutiating!).
Thanks!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:14
Registered Member

Amen on the lateral raises! I've worked my way up to 10# on that, and can do about 6 reps in the 120 seconds on my timer (yeah, I know, too much time, too many reps, but it feels good that way), but it's the shoulder press that frustrates me. Coming as it does right behind the lateral raises, my arms start trembling on the first or second rep and it's very hard to maintain proper form.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 19:32

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

rfred - how are your results so far?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:27
Registered Member

I'm quite pleased with the results. I feel stronger and have seen visible improvement in shape. My shoulders look bigger, my biceps are larger and the vascularity of my arms has increased. My calves are visibly larger. I walk up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to get to my car in the afternoon, and I have noticed that the last flight is easier now -- and I haven't done any aerobic exercise since February.

My midsection also looks better. I know spot-reducing doesn't work, but I guess I have lost fat at the same rate I have gained muscle, because although I haven't lost pounds since February, my belly is flatter.

I have some concerns about adaptation -- many people advocate changing exercises periodically to avoid having muscles adapt to specific movements. I'm thinking of choosing some substitutes for the exercises I do now, but I would do them in the slow way.

My wife is pleased with her results, too (she also likes my results and vice versa ). While her increase in visible muscularity is less than mine, her shape has improved markedly, including a return of the natural indentation of her waist, something I think she thought she would never see again.

So, to answer your question, kmarie, the results are very good.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 16:33

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Results

That's great, rfred! I've been doing The Firm lately, but I think I'm going to add Slow Burn back in for variety.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 01:42
Registered Member

Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm glad to have found this thread. I started Slow Burn a couple of weeks ago. I love the programme! I enjoy doing something which is challenging and I like being able to feel the individual muscles. Like your wife, Fred, I've found that the most noticeable change has been the waist definition [already!].

I'm doing the exercises at home. One problem I've found is getting enough weight. The heaviest ankle weights I've found are 5lb - I use two at time to make it up to 10lb, but that's still not heavy enough to work to failure in the time given. Does anyone know where I can buy heavier ankle weights [in the UK] or do you know a way I can adapt the weights at home?
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 11:18
Registered Member

I haven't come up with a way yet -- I'm up to 10# on the ankles weights, too. Let me know if you find a solution.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 02:00
Registered Member

Stats: 147/136.5/125 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

After ages spent searching the net, I've found that there is actually a thing as 10lb ankle weights [I was beginning to doubt they existed!]:

http://www.newitts.com/Product.pasp...ctID=AX-AWN-25S

I think the 4.5kg weights would be around 10 lb. For some reason they are about 5 times the price of my 5lb weights, but I think I'm going to have to splash out if I'm going to be doing this properly.