Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:02
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Try having celery and cream cheese on hand or some deli meat roll ups with some cheese. That should help keep you away from the goodies.

I wonder if you can order some Atkins stuff online to have shipped to Germany?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:20

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 155/155/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good plan - I have cream cheese and some raw veggies in the fridge.

Which Atkins things are good? I would like to order them - you're right. I am sure they will ship them over here. I wonder if our customs will let them through. :-?

Gotta go, preparing beds for visitors!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:24
Slothy Superhero

I am not really sure-you can check out their website: //atkinscenter.com

You do realize I meant veggie deli meats, right? LOL!

We have a brand over here called Smart Deli that are veggie deli slices-taste good!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 02:35

BF:
Talking

I did it.
Ate NO crisps. ice rream. chocolate, candy and garlic bread.
I am am own hero!
Plus I am sure I am thinner. :-)
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 05:23
Slothy Superhero

Go you!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 10:37

BF:
Unhappy Depression

I thought I had lost so much weight on my first week of Atkins. This morning I established that this is not the case. My jeans are still just as tight. Yes, I do have more evergy and yes I do feel great but why is everybody else loosing major weight on a weekly basis. And I don't even cheat. :-(

Does this mean that I should cut out my cheese?

Anyone else have suggestions on a way to go from here?

Help!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/174.5/167
BF:?%/21%/17%
Progress: 79%
Wink

If you are feeling dizzy,etc. make sure you are eating enough. Not a good idea to do low carbs AND low calories. The glucose you need comes from protein, so your protein is doing double duty. I'm not a vegetarian but these are the recipes that I use regularly:

1. Pureed cauliflower: known in low carb circles as "imitation mashed potatoes," it is actually one of the best recipes, diet or not: boil cauliflower, slightly softer than usual, puree in food processor with butter and salt. Different but better than mashed potatoes. Many variations: use as a bed to serve fried eggplant on, etc.

2. From Arabic cooking: break cauliflower into flowerlets. Deep fry until brown. Drain on paper towels salt. Eat right away.

3. Sauteed cucumber. Peel cucumbers. Cut in half the long way. Scrape out seeds with a spoon. Slice (makes crescent shapes). Sautee in butter on medicum heat. Stir to keep the water from coming out. About 5 minutes.

4. Precision zucchini. Slice zucchinis into 1/4 inch slices. Bring large amount (compared to the zucchinis) of water to a rolling boil. Put in zucchinis. Boil exactly two minutes. Immediately drain and add butter or olive oil. Different zucchinis may be slightly different and, of course, thickness will change time. A little experiment will tell you what to do but it is really a matter of seconds, too much or too little and you don't have anything good. Of course, sauteeing with garlic is less demanding but precision boiled can be superb.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins of a type...
Stats: 213/209/170 Female 146"
BF:not sure will look
Progress: 9%
Default Help I am a vegetarian...

Hi, I am new to this game and also a vegetarian. I have two recipes that have kept me sane!!! Check the carbs and save these for an evening meal.

1. Stuffed field mushrooms with cheeses on bed of rocket

2. Halloumi kebabs.

For the stuffed mushrooms, buy some large field mushrooms. Line a tin with olive oil. Place peeled mushrooms into tin, 2 or 3 if you need them. Dot with butter. In a bowl, mix full fat cheese with grated cheese, I try and use a few different, smoked is really nice in there. Divide mixture between mushrooms, spread to edges and add black pepper. Some finely grated fresh parmesan on top is good. Drizzle with olive oil and bake in hot oven 200C for about 25 minutes until brown, may leak out, but use a fish slice to transfer onto bed of rocket. Add a bit of mayonnaise if desired.

2. Buy a bar of halloumi, (Cypriot cheese, bland, salty and delicious when charred, similar to tofu, but more rubbery). Cut into chunks, thread onto skewer with 1/4 onion thickly diced, 1 large mushroom, 1/8's, and small red pepper, chunky. Drizzle with oil and char under hot grill, or better still use a heavy chargrill pan. I add a dressing of coconut cream (about 1dessertspoon, mixed with a little sour cream. Very filling, and nice cold with salad the next day.

Hope this may inspire some of you. I need some new recipes quick. Day 12
and have found myself craving, but have never felt such a lack of hunger. I had a blip last week and it took 48 hours to get back on track, so I am really trying. Weekenda are hard. This forum may be the difference between disater again or success. Looking forward to meeting you.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:56
Slothy Superhero

Thanks for the recipes! Those mushrooms sound good.

Here is a site for low carb recipes, you'll have to weed through them to get to some veggie friendly ones:

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/index.html
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 18:37
Registered Member

thanks for the link, I shall take a look. NEED a treat!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 07:35

BF:
Default yumyum

Hi Melody1

Oh my. Your recipies sound fantastic. I LOVE Haloumi and have never used it to make kebabs. I will try them tomorrow.

Today I am also having a hard time. I keep wandering around and around in the kitchen looking for something to snack on. No I am not hungry but feel desperate for something....... have had more cheese and some soya TVP but it is not doing the trick. I am dying to eat my crisps and candies that a friend gave me. (she have me 1kg of chocolate which I gave away the very next day!) I just have to get through this weekend.

Are you doing Atkins or the Carbo Addicts diet?

I am drinking loads of coffee today, I hope that this stops the cravings for candy and bread!

I agree with you... chatting here is a life saver! :-)
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 09:39

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

One of my favorite snacks on Atkins is a variation on chips (crisps right?). Take an oz or 2 of shredded cheddar. Put it on a pan that you have sprayed w/olive oil or Pam. Top w/some parmesan and garlic. Bake until crispy. Or you can put it on a plate a microwave it for about 2 minutes or so. Yum!!!! Induction friendly too.

--Cindy
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 10:56

BF:

Cindy. I am going to try that tonight. My husband will be eating popcorn and I WILL SURVIVE with my Cheddar Chips!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:23
Registered Member

Angry struggling......

I appear to have ground to a halt and do not know what to do. This is my third week of Atkins. I have lost 7 pounds, but most of that in the first week. My family had a barbecue at the weekend, so I drank red wine, but had no dessert which for me is no mean feat. My appetite is nil, and my LTS are deep purple, but I just cannot get below this 1/2 stone. I could never get past this on a conventional diet either, but really thought this was going to work, and the lack of hunger has really pulled me through. I can't say I am enjoying food, and wonder if I should try another low carb diet, even only as a temporary measure? Any advice from you experienced low carbers would be appreciated.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:28
Slothy Superhero

Have you been taking measurements? I often will stop losing actual weight, but shrink instead.

I think it is normal to take a pause after induction or the first 2-3 weeks. Your body is getting used to the weight loss and is trying to decide whether you mean it or not. My losses have not been every week at all. Some weeks nothing, then I will lose a couple of pounds in a couple of days.

My best pieces of advice are take measurements, patience and post some menus here or in the general forum to see if there is anything we can point out.