Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 13:26

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vgal
I don't accept defeat! I look at women who are older than me, say Madonna who's 45 and remade their bodies through diet and exercise and if she or anyone else can do it, so can I! Right?

I think you can do it. As long as your not endangering yourself, I suppose it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. I sacrificed my health and possibly my life, which now I'm hoping to realize that I'm more than a number on the scale. I don't know about any of the other women on this board, but for me, once you're a fat chic, sometimes you're still a fat chic even when the scale tells you otherwise. I felt like a fat chic in a thin woman's body. The problem for me was the muscle. I was and still am very shapely, and I would have had to sacrifice muscle to look small and fragile which I was willing to do. Wow, did that ever backfire. While I'm not going to say I'm big boned, I'm very solid. I try to look at Jillian Michaels as a role model vs. Kate Moss. I want to be a strong, not a leaf that gets blown away in the wind.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 14:46

Plan: whole foods/low carbd
Stats: 240/220/159 Female 67
BF:35.1
Progress: 25%

we are ALL beautiful, im just alittle concerned when we want to compare ourselves to pop culture icons, who have tons of money. I am sure most do work out, but I really believe they have lipo or implants to make them look better. We just need to do the best for us, and if we do that, everything else will fall in place.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 01:13

Plan: Moderate low-carb
Stats: 186/140/135 Female 5"5
BF:OnebigAB
Progress: 90%

without hijacking this thread, I think Madonna is au naturale. But of course we have to reason that she has the best access to personal trainers and diet gurus, probably at her beck and call. Jillian Michaels is a homegrown personal trainer, not a pop icon. But yeah, we do need to get away from idolizing media figures as that perpetuates a distorted body image.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:49

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 198/137/120 Female 5'3
BF:25.2
Progress: 78%

I think both of you have a point. But Madonna is au nautrel, she's a fitness junkie and has been for some time now. The only thing she has access to that we mere mortals do not is a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon- anyone can hire a PT, I have one, and anyone can be a "diet guru" if you learn about proper nutrition, etc. I'm an excellent cook, so good that people have paid me to cater their luncheons etc. with SBD meals. The only battle we are fighting is over genetics and gravity - just like every woman on the planet.

Madonna has to work out like everyone else to maintain her physique. Ever notice her yoga arms?

Also, BC you are correct when you say that part of the problem is mental. Even when I got down to my lowest weight as an adult, I still saw myself as the "fat girl" even when people were telling me I was skeletal. Skeletal is relative. For someone who's always been fat, losing 30 lbs. could make you appear "skeletal". I carry pretty much all my weight in my thighs, so in my mind I was still fat because my legs weren't model slim. Chances are, that no matter how much weight training and cardio I do, they never will be (genetics) without a scapel and a talented surgeon. I'll make a decision about lipo by this summer. I consider it a last resort. And the number in question that's so important in this instance is the tape measure inches.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawninHI
we are ALL beautiful, im just alittle concerned when we want to compare ourselves to pop culture icons, who have tons of money. I am sure most do work out, but I really believe they have lipo or implants to make them look better. We just need to do the best for us, and if we do that, everything else will fall in place.

The beauty of beauty is that anyone can have it nowadays! Everyone can have lipo or implants, it's not an exclusive club anymore. When did plastic surgery get such a bad rap? I don't think it's a negative thing to have "role models" as far as physique go, just be realistic about what you can accomplish with YOUR body.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 11:20

Not to sound harsh, but NO not everyone has access to plastic surgery. It cost money, which not everyone has. Im not saying its bad to have cosmetic upgrades, my point was that as a whole, people cannot compare themselves to the "elite". I still bet money that Madonna has had lipo.. IMHO
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 11:00

Quote:
Not to sound harsh, but NO not everyone has access to plastic surgery. It cost money, which not everyone has. Im not saying its bad to have cosmetic upgrades, my point was that as a whole, people cannot compare themselves to the "elite". I still bet money that Madonna has had lipo.. IMHO

Actually, anyone CAN have plastic surgery. If you want it, you can have it. It takes $$, of course, but you can save for it or even finance it nowadays. So yes, you too can look just like everyone else!

I don't consider celebrities the "elite". As physical role models? Maybe. As inspiration? Definitely. And even if Madonna has had lipo done, that doesn't take away from the regimen she puts herself through on a daily basis. If anything it inspires me to try to get to my own personal goals without lipo.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 11:29

Plan: Mod Atkins
Stats: 170/162/110 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 13%

If I can afford plastic surgery & a personal trainer I would have done it along time ago. My insurance doesn't cover PS or PT. I can't even save for it because I have way too much debt.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 13:04

Nobody's insurance covers either of those things, its a question of what you're willing to spend. For example, this year I can choose to take a trip to Europe or get lipo on my thighs if my workouts don't produce the results I want.

Europe ain't going anyplace, but neither is the fat on my thighs..... so I make a choice. My point was just that people can think that certain things are so far out of their reach, when in reality it's right there if you want it. How much is it worth to you? I'd much rather enjoy slender thighs for the first time in my life than visit a foreign country. I'm young enough to know I have plenty of years ahead of me to travel! Right now, I'm training hard so that I can do both - enjoy thinner thighs (without spending the $$$ on lipo) AND take a vacation.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-06, 15:06

i guess since i work with the poor and homeless my world is more tainted than most. the people im around for the most part will probably never be able to afford a vacation to another island much less surgery.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 10:46

Quote:
i guess since i work with the poor and homeless my world is more tainted than most. the people im around for the most part will probably never be able to afford a vacation to another island much less surgery.

The tragedy is that where I'm at, most people around here will have the surgery AND take a vacation to another island before they even deal with those of us less fortunate.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-25-06, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 145/145/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

When I saw the scale reach 147. That was the breaking point for me. And knowing I had exceeded over the maximum weight limit for my body height/type for my petite-small bone structure. Plus, knowing my mom has made so many rude comments to me, and realizing that she alone continues to badger me about it.

This time- I am losing it for myself. I am so upset with who I am and disgusted with myself. Part of my weight gain is due to menopause and meds I take too plus due to some binging. A combo of it all. Frustrating. Taking charge and getting in control is what I need to do.

Latte
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jul-27-06, 16:42

Plan: Organic/Dr. Berg
Stats: 239/201.6/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 42%

When I got all dressed up for a wedding, did my hair, put on make up, and still didn't look good, I had to face the fact that I was one overweight chick. That's my before picture- 175 and a size 16 dress. That was in September of 2004. It's been a long, weary journey, but I'm so thankful for the help of others to get where I am. Even though I have yet a long way to go, I'm in better shape now than I ever was when I was skinny. Being healthy and fit is my main goal now.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 15:06

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default 330

I'd been on the losing end, heading down from post-baby high-dom until my doctor put me on BP meds. 1.5 months later I went back in to follow-up only to find I'd put on 50 pounds and the scale said 330. Denial doesn't even begin to cover it. I'm like "your scale is broken" but it wasn't! How devastated was I?!

I can only hope that when I get down to my goal weight, I've got stricter control and higher standards for myself. I'm thinking at the very least weekly weigh-ins and only a 5 pound leeway. Head off weight gain before it gets too out of control. Also - do like the French and get all form-fitting clothes and refuse to buy bigger. So, I'll either be fat and naked or slim and stylish.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-29-06, 19:01

Plan: VLC & Modified Lo Carb
Stats: 321.0/297/280 Female 69.5 inches
BF:way to high
Progress: 59%

For me it was when I saw the scale hit 322, my feet and legs hurt and my size 26 jeans were getting too tight. I am now comfortably into size 24 jeans (could wear my 22's if my calves would slim down) and the pain in my feet and legs is much less. Have a ways to go yet but I've learned I can do this.