Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Default modified Fat Fast follows Fat Fast

I did not do my homework very well because following the 4-5 days of Fat Fast Atkins then suggests increasing calories on the modified FF to continue with the benefits. This transistion period needed could explain my 1lb gain today returning to strick Induction.

I am really a beginner at this, but I hope my ups and downs will give information or inspiration.

regards,
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:16

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Your body has already told you that it wasn't happy with this fasting business, so why ignore it and do some other type of fast? I think your hubby is right and with all due respect you are being pretty silly. You are so close to a goal weight that there is no way that you are going to drop lbs quickly...it is just not physically possible and your body and metabolism will fight you, which they are. Going into ketosis is not going to make this any different at your weight level. What you should be doing is eating above your resting BMR and about 400-500 cal's using LC diet below your maintenance BMR, which is what you need to estimate considering your exercising...this will cause you to lose the normal 10% of your excess fat weight in a month, and 5% for each month thereafter. When one weighs 300 lns, one can therefor lose 30 lbs in a month. When one weighs 120, that's 1.2 lbs only. So therefor trying to fast just puts you into starvation mode and all the body guns are out to prevent you losing anything. It doesn't matter if you are fasting with protein or fasting with water...your metabolism will slow right down and try to keep everything, and even gain if possible so that you don't die...

If you don't believe me, go do some reading on this. You can get some estimates on Ftiday, and from here:
http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/index.shtml

Also a quickie at rest BMR: 655 + 4.36 X Weight (lbs) + 4.32 X Height (inches) -4.7 X Age

Another guide is to multiply your goal weight by 12 to get calories you should be eating- which for your would be around 1300. Keep your protein at no less than 100g, your carbs at 5-10% and allow your body to slowly lose weight...it will take you months, Serena. Any further frenetic attempts to lose weight quickly will permanently slow your metabolism. I speak from very hard learned experience here having done a lifetime of what you are now doing. Just celebrate the fact that the slow weight loss will be permanent so long as you stay on LC eating forever and once there, you won't have to 'diet' ever again as thios becomes your WOE and as you have already discovered, you aren't hungry with it.

Val

Val
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 06:14

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I don't think it's fair to say I am being silly. I do know about the starvation thing, I know how that works and have been there. I don't really want to lose it overnight, I know that's not realistic, I would like like to get into ketosis though and start losing it. I think I got so sick because of only having 1000 calories, I will raise it to 1300 today, like you suggested and see what happens.

I do appreciate your suggestions, I am just so frustrated....I get upset for not losing and eat things I shouldn't and then gain. I am up 2 more pounds today. I did really well the first 3 weeks, didn't cheat at all. I have always been very dedicated and when I set my mind to it I can do anything. I really do have a lot of willpower, I just get so mad at myself when I give in.

Thank you again for yur help. I had eggs with some cream cheese for breakfast, I really could eat that all day and be happy. We'll see...
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 06:47

Serena, I wasn't wanting to insult you..it worries me when young people with responsibilities like you effectively panic about a few lbs and then try to starve them off. I think you would be well advised to throw the scales out the window because all they are doing with their ornery fluctations is making you very unhappy, don't you think? How about following the LC WOE and weigh somewhere else, or better still, look at BF% maybe once a week at most. Pay more attention to how you feel, and let nature do its thing....if you are feeding properly, but slightly less than your BMR, in the long run, you will be at your goal weight. Just eat the amount that someone at 113 lbs would eat to maintain that weight, given your exercise. Best of luck.

Val
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I just made that jello cream cheese mixture, yum! I figured out that the entire bowl equals 1000 calories, so couldnt I just munch on that all day?
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 13:59

I'd say you could!

Have you lost anymore weight? I envy you so much. I can't seem to get it going. I feel better today though. I am up another couple of pounds from eating carbs yesterday but I think it'll work this time. I am going to eat 1300 calories toady. I signed up for fitday and put in my food for the day (that is really cool). It'll be just under 1300 calories. I think 10000 was just too few. I am eating eggs with cream cheese 3 times today and having some whipped cream for a snack.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:14

Ive lost one more lbs on the fat fast, I really want to drop 4 more by this weekend, wish me luck! Let me know how it goes for you.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 15:33

Finally in Ketosis! I raised my calories to 12-1300 yesterday and ate mostly eggs and cream cheese (instead of Mayo). Cream cheese omlets are sooo good!

Today, I had 2 eggs with cream chese for breakfast, I checked at around lunch time and I was not in ketosis. Frustrated and hungry, I made 2 beef pattys with some mayo for lunch and then about 2 hours later I had another patty with some pepperoni and some cheese melted in the microwave. I also had a little bit of whipped cream. I fugured I would eat all the induction foods I had left in the house. I was getting ready to go to the store and buy different food, thinking I would go back on WW's for a week or so and then maybe try again. Before we left I checked and in ketosis.

I was so relieved because I like to eat and I am usually hungry on WW's.

I think I ate too much today though. According to fit day, I have had almost 2000 calories and haven't had dinner yet. I'm gonna just have a few spoons on whipped cream and call it quits for the day. If it works, I'll now that I wasn't losing before and got sick because I wasn't eating enough. Fit day says I will have burned 2800 calories today and if I eat about 2000 and I'm in ketosis, I should start losing right?

Skibunnie, how is your's working out today?
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 17:04

Serena,

Just remember now, it takes 3500 burned calories to lose a pound in real weight..so don't start getting frustrated because the scales don't do much...weigh in a week's time! They are too unreliable to use daily and just end up causing lots of grief.

Val
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 03:40
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

serena - your bmi is 21 which is very normal... a normal bmi is 18.5-24.5. plus you work out a lot, which leads me to believe you have a lot of muscle bulk giving you a smaller body fat percentage, making you closer to underweight than overweight

i dont mean to impose, but are you sure you really need to lose weight? scales are just numbers and nothing more, what matters most is how you feel, how healthy you are, and how you look.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 08:56

I gained an pound, the scale just doesnt want to budge. Im eating perfectly, its probably just water or my body being stubborn. Its a little frustrating to be eating this way and not losing, but its ok, I lost that 5lbs so that made it worth it. Im going to continue the fat fast until this weekend and hopefully it will go down a few lbs.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 17:01

Ugh today I had a pickle, 4 diet cokes, and a bite of a low carb peanut butter cup, oops. Im so sick of this fat fast, Im taking a break. Ill be back on at trying to recover from my birthday weekend, cause Im going to be drinkings lots of beer.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 18:14

Now add some asparagus and the rest of the lc peanutbutter cup, what is wrong with me! I usually have such good will power, my aspartame really does cause cravings....
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/148/126 Female 5 feet 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ski!
i know the feeling, i too have 'overdosed' on the fat fast..sick of the foods and sick of being miserable - no delish low carb meals to look forward too and bloody hungry all the time!! - grumpy and depressed!
okay okay i know it's great losing a pound or so a day, fantastic for morale and all that but i think i'll leave it for those times when i really really REALLY need to get into THAT dress or special occasion/holiday (because it really does work!) but i don't really want to get my body used to so few calories all the time - i spent years crash dieting, it's BAD!
i've been looking into stillmans...have you heard of it? - it's a kind of meat and egg fast....supposed to work, might try it for a few days as i really need to get over my blummin' stall!!! - anyway u really enjoy your birthday weekend...no doubt whatsoever u'll come crashing down off that wagon (blame it on the beer!!) but what the heck, you only live once!!! - clamber back on on monday!
take care and have a happy birthday!
ax
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:25

Well, I am still in Ketosis! Yeah me! I am down about 3.5 pounds this week, whisch is good because I was up about4 since starting Atkins 1 month ago. The fat fast with about 1300 calories did it for me. 100 was definately not enough for me. Yesterday and today I ate about 75-80 %fat, I am keeping everything in Fitday...I love it! I had shrimp with garlic butter and some mock eggdrop soup for dinner yesterday instead of cream cheese. It made my protein a little higher but I had about 200 calories left for the day and had some semi frozen whipped cream. That halped my fat ratio.

For lunch today I had the soup again and 4oz of steak. I will continue with the high fat for a while...I think. If I am still in ketosis in the morning, I will continue to eat as I have this week. Sfter I lose the last few pounds I'll quit weighing everything and eat about 1800 calories per day, whatever keeps me maintaining. At the begining (a month ago), I just ate pretty much what I wanted...cheese, eggs, meat etc and didn't weigh it an dI maintained easily.

Skibunni, have a great birthday and don't worry aboutit. It'll come off next week, whatever you gain this weekend...let us know how it goes! We are probably going to eat out several times too this weekend...it'll be hard but I'm gonna try not to have any carbs!