Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 18:22

Plan: somersize
Stats: 145/180/35 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for letting me know about the t3 and t4 scenario didn't know how to look at this sometimes it gets confusing but I'm learning there's alot. I have to go for a blood test too. Yes, let me know when you find out and good luck. Jamv
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 20:00

Plan: ONE DAY AT A TIME:)!
Stats: 142.5/138.6/120.0 Female 5 feet and 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I know it is confusing at first I thought the Armour had more T4 than T3 but of course it doesn't. I've done a lot of learning along the way. And let me know how your blood work goes too.
Take Care,
Dolores
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 13:47

BF:

Hi Jamv, Have you noticed a difference since you've been taking the Armour. I went in for my blood work. I guess the results will be in in a couple of weeks. I also went to see my regular doctor, the one who put me on the Armour first. And she went ahead and done blood work too, to check my cholesterol because it was high a year ago, something else that goes along with being hypo. But I'm pretty sure it will be better.
I hope you're doing well. Take care, Dolores
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 18:55

BF:

Hi Jamv, I hope everything is well. I got my blood work results it said normal. I called the nurse to send the actual breakdown of the numbers. They always do this to me. I should be receiving that in a day or two. Take care, Dolores
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 13:27

BF:
Default My Results Are In

Hi Jamv,
Definite improvement in the numbers since on the Compound T4.

My Free T4 level is up to 1.5 from 1.2 in June. When I started Armour it was 1.0. I have felt a lot better since on the T4. And I've lost weight.

My TSH level is 0.03. That's the level that had the doctor thinking I was mildly elevated. And my Free T3 is about the same from last visit.

Just wanted you to know. I hope all is well.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 18:53

BF:
Progress:
Default My results are in too

Hi Doloresrod, Sorry I haven't gotten back to you been so busy but in between all the running around I got my numbers and he tells me now that I'm hyper instead of hypo? My tsh level is 0.14 and free t4 is 1.5 I haven't lost any weight and I'm still incredibly tired I don't know how this could be? I'm glad you're doing good. What do you think about these numbers? Any input is greatly appreciated, I would like to start losing weight and stop being so tired! I hope to hear from you Thank you jamv
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 21:28

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/163/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Just want to add that most people feel best when their tsh is between 1-2 what is yours? Also...you need to be on a T3-T4 med like armour immediately if not sooner.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 05:58

BF:
Default Thyroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamv
Hi Doloresrod, Sorry I haven't gotten back to you been so busy but in between all the running around I got my numbers and he tells me now that I'm hyper instead of hypo? My tsh level is 0.14 and free t4 is 1.5 I haven't lost any weight and I'm still incredibly tired I don't know how this could be? I'm glad you're doing good. What do you think about these numbers? Any input is greatly appreciated, I would like to start losing weight and stop being so tired! I hope to hear from you Thank you jamv

Hi Jamv, No, you're not hyper. My levels are about the same. They always seem to go by the TSH level. My TSH level is like 0.01 or 0.02. My Free T4 level is 1.5 now like yours. I would have thought by now you would have felt a difference with being on 2 grains. But maybe your Free T4 needs to be higher since you are still feeling the symptoms. Are you still taking the T4? Because that is what probably needs to be added. Your doctor should not rely on the TSH level. My doctor tried but I asked for the T4 because my level was still on the low end but now is better and so far I have felt great. But everyone is different and your levels may need to be higher to feel a difference. The high end of the Free T4 is 1.8 so I hope the doctor will add the T4. Are you able to do any exercising? I know with being tired it is hard, I've been there. If you're not walking, try it, even it's a short walk. Let me know what happens. Take Care, Dolores
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Oct-08-04, 07:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I got my numbers and he tells me now that I'm hyper instead of hypo? My tsh level is 0.14 and free t4 is 1.5 I haven't lost any weight and I'm still incredibly tired I don't know how this could be?
Jamv, you're probably still feeling tired because your FTs are too low. Have you had your FT3 tested?

You are not hyper, btw. Often TSH has to be almost suppressed before FT levels rise. It is the FT number that dictates how well you feel, once treatement commences TSH is nearly meaningless. Women tend to feel best when their FTs are in the upper 3rd of the lab range - what is your range? 1.5 could still be too low for you. Or the issue could be your FT3 levels.

You might indeed to better with the addition of some T3, either as Cytomel or by switching to a drug with both T4/T3 (either natural desiccated thyroid like Armour or something synthetic like Thyrolar). Weight loss for hypo's tends to not happen until your TSH is below 1, where yours is, so again it bring into question your FT3 levels.

Nat
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 11:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/151/120 Female 63"
BF:I don't know.
Progress:

Hello Alll,
I have been reading all of your information. My doctor put me on anti depresents and I went to a different doctor for my depression and she said I needed to have blood work done to see if it is my thyroid. I am on levotyroxine sod.0.150mcg. The bottle just recently started having the sod on it. I do not know what that means, but anyway my primary would not listen when I told him something is not right. So this new doctor wants me to have a blood test tommorrow. My question should I fast like do not eat anything after 12am tonight and what all should be check on the form. She has complete metabolic panel and cbc, and TSH and T-3 Total, T-3 uptake, T-4(tyroxine ,Free), Vitamin b-12, and That is all. Should she have added T-4 total or anything else you guys can think of. Please help me. I have been having this problem for about 2 years and my primary was like it is in your head. I am in St. Louis, MO.

Thank You all in advance

Miss Rock
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 14:00

BF:
Default Thyroid Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rock
Hello Alll,
I have been reading all of your information. My doctor put me on anti depresents and I went to a different doctor for my depression and she said I needed to have blood work done to see if it is my thyroid. I am on levotyroxine sod.0.150mcg. The bottle just recently started having the sod on it. I do not know what that means, but anyway my primary would not listen when I told him something is not right. So this new doctor wants me to have a blood test tommorrow. My question should I fast like do not eat anything after 12am tonight and what all should be check on the form. She has complete metabolic panel and cbc, and TSH and T-3 Total, T-3 uptake, T-4(tyroxine ,Free), Vitamin b-12, and That is all. Should she have added T-4 total or anything else you guys can think of. Please help me. I have been having this problem for about 2 years and my primary was like it is in your head. I am in St. Louis, MO.

Thank You all in advance

Miss Rock

Hi Miss Rock,
I think it's more important to follow the Free T4 and Free T3 blood test, I think they are more accurate to tell you if your thyroid is off. Most doctors do like to treat you with an anti-depressant when you start complaining about being tired and all. My primary did and that is why I changed doctors and was very fortunate to find one to treat my borderline hypo.

I truly hope you're able to find out what is really going on. And please post your test results when you get them. We can all give you help with those too.

Take care,
Dolores
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 14:02

BF:
Default Progesterone

Quote:

HI Jamv,
Have you ever got your estrogen, testosterone and progesterone levels checked? Those can also stall weight loss. I use a natural progesterone cream days 14-28. My doctor told me to watch with being on the thyroid medication because it can also raise your metabolism. And I think that has also helped with the weight loss. You may want to ask your doctor about that and give it a try.

Take care, Dolores
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 15:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rock
So this new doctor wants me to have a blood test tommorrow. My question should I fast like do not eat anything after 12am tonight and what all should be check on the form. She has complete metabolic panel and cbc, and TSH and T-3 Total, T-3 uptake, T-4(tyroxine ,Free), Vitamin b-12, and That is all. Should she have added T-4 total or anything else you guys can think of.
Hi Miss Rock, welcome to the "it's all in your head" club

If you're not having cholesterol tested then you don't really need to fast, however I would have those tests done as early as possible, as TSH is highest earlier in the day and you want it to be as 'off' as possible (it helps getting drs to listen to you). The doctor has asked for Total T3 level, which really is not as helpful as a Free T3. She's basically using an old panel that just not as effective as the newer one.

T3 Resin Uptake or Thyroid Uptake is a test that confuses doctors, nurses, and patients. First, this is not a thyroid test, but a test on the proteins (Thyroid Binding Globulins) that carry thyroid around in your blood stream and is expressed as a percentage. When this is is low, it indicates a lot of thyroid binding proteins in your blood grabbing up thyroid hormone so your body can't immediately use it. The main purpose of this test is to approximate Free T4 through a calculation using the T4 and T3 uptake scores. Since she's asked for a Free T4 this makes little sense, unless the T-4(tyroxine ,Free) is expressed as a FTI (I for "index", somtimes called at FT7).

Free Thyroxine Index (FTI or T7) is a calculated result that approximates Free T4, but is not as accurate as actually getting a Free T4 test done. A mathematical computation allows the lab to estimate the free thyroxine index from the T4 and T3 Uptake tests. Again, more confusion because it looks like she has asked for a FT4 but not a T4.

The test you want done are FT4 and FT3 - these tell you just how much freed thyroid hormone you have circulating in your body that is usable. They are the most accurate.

The "sod" on your script stands for "sodium" - sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. My Synthroid also says this.

Hang tight and let us know what your results come back as.
Nat
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 09:39

BF:

Hi Jamv,
I hope everything is going well for you. I know it's tough going through this. I am so thankful that my thyroid is pretty much straightened out. I don't go back to the doctor until Dec. 1st.

Let me know how you're doing.
Take Care, Dolores
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-04, 12:07

BF:
Progress:

Doloresrod Hi! I'm getting back to you I'm always so busy but I enjoy chatting with you. Thanks for asking about my update, so far nothing, I work out everyday at the gym and have a low carb lifestyle change for quite awhile now and I am on 2 grain armour and levoylx 112mcg. and my blood work is coming back that I'm hyper not hypo and I still haven't lost one gosh darn pound I'm getting very discouraged and I do not know what could be holding the weight on? I know I'm anemic that's why I'm tired in the afternoon but other then that I can't figure it out I've been on the new meds for 3 and a 1/2 weeks now and I'm real lost! Any suggestions? Thanks JAMV