Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 12:28

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

I have eaten avocados my entire life. I love them plain - sometimes I put salt or lemon juice but my favorite is plain ole avocados. They have a wonderful nutty flavor that I adore.

I'm "trying" to grow an avocado tree...we'll see how that goes LOL.

Grow An Avocado Tree
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 12:32

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Jellyfish

Jellyfish(Hi Zer Pee, See Zer Skin, not a real fish) is a low carb, high protein and high Omega-3 food.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts...products/7703/2

Eat it cold and dip it with hot sauce, or Soy Sauce with garlic.
Some dip it with Soy Sauce and Wasabi.

One can get it from 99ranch(google it) or other oriental supermarkets.
It usually comes with wet salted package.
Nearby, one can also find TouFoo, See Weed, Miso...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarralea
Sorry, but I have eaten a few bizarre things. Pigeon, possum, emu, crocodile, kangaroo ( not so unusual really) and raw jellyfish. And avocado, which is sooooo much better than raw jellyfish. Everyone, I am here to tell you, can skip the jellyfish. Cold, slimy horrible, but I just had to try it.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 12:43

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Well, more about the avocados- guacamole(flavor-wise) is to avocados, just about as much as tomato soup is to a raw tomato. It just isn't the same! I just love guacamole dip and was very surprised by how it didn't prepare me for the flavor and texture of an unadorned avocado! I imagine I could get use to it, maybe even come to love it. It was just a little more different than I expected it to be. It was like how I felt when I had eaten my first mango. It was like the love child between a peach and a carrot. I love both of those things, but the flavor confused me. It was like I had to keep taking a bite to see if I had been mistaken on the flavor. I've heard it takes 3 tries to really get use to a new food. I my experience, that is about right.
Side note: The skin on a avocado looks like it should belong on a dinosaur. It didn't keep me from trying it, but it is a little strange.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 13:31

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySpider
Well, more about the avocados- guacamole(flavor-wise) is to avocados, just about as much as tomato soup is to a raw tomato. It just isn't the same! I just love guacamole dip and was very surprised by how it didn't prepare me for the flavor and texture of an unadorned avocado! I imagine I could get use to it, maybe even come to love it. It was just a little more different than I expected it to be. It was like how I felt when I had eaten my first mango. It was like the love child between a peach and a carrot. I love both of those things, but the flavor confused me. It was like I had to keep taking a bite to see if I had been mistaken on the flavor. I've heard it takes 3 tries to really get use to a new food. I my experience, that is about right.
Side note: The skin on a avocado looks like it should belong on a dinosaur. It didn't keep me from trying it, but it is a little strange.

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! The flavor of a mango - peach & the sharp flavor of a carrot!!!! I was really surprised by it - and really did not like it but mine was really hard - are they suppose to be?
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 13:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
...was very surprised by how it didn't prepare me for the flavor and texture of an unadorned avocado!

I'm of the opinion one shouldn't try to eat an "unadorned" avocado. They're very bland alone. They need salt at the very least. Something acidic really makes it sparkle too. Lemon juice or mayo is a good choice.

Quote:
THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!! The flavor of a mango - peach & the sharp flavor of a carrot!!!! I was really surprised by it - and really did not like it but mine was really hard - are they suppose to be?

Not many fruits are meant to be eaten hard and a mango isn't one of them. They need to give to gentle pressure.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 14:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Back in the late 60's and 70's we used to eat avocados like an apple - obviously peeled; we'd start from the top and then 'peel as you go'. No seasoning, but then I was hippie-vegetarian from 1970 to 1989. That's a whole other kinda vegetarianism lol

When I went to work in Los Angeles I discovered fruit sellers - much like an ice cream store layout, and one day while shopping, my boss and I shared a cup of fruit with dried chile on it. The surprise was that the mango was hard and crunchy, kinda of like a not so dense carrot. Since then I have noticed pretty much all the fruit shops sell it like that. Interesting cultural variation.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 14:27

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I love avocados and guacamole -in my salads, on my fajitas, or hamburgers. yum!!

I've never eaten oysters. They look like boogars to me. I do like mussells, clams, shrimp, crab - any kind of shelled seafood (except oysters) lol.

I've never had a pomegranate (the actual fruit) not things flavored with it. I've never had brussell sprouts and I don't like pickles.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 14:43
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for starting this thread, I am an avocado virgin, too. I've tasted guacamole and didn't like it, and didn't know what to do with an avocado, so have just tried to ignore them (and around here, that ain't easy!)
But I'm thinking that I should at least give a real one a shot. Are there any other tips on knowing when they are ripe, other than somewhere between "hard" and "squishy".
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 15:01

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Since this forum I've really expanded my food choices - last week I made brussell sprouts for the first time - I coated them with bacon grease and sea salt then baked them on a cookie sheet - well my short attention span I went out to help the kids shovel snow and came in to burnt crispy sprouts -

I will try it again cause I think they wouldve been good

I love smoked oysters but they are high in carbs I havent tried anchovies yet but I'm tempted but I did put capers on my fish last time I made some and it was good!

This forum is great for getting new food ideas
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 15:12

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

WOW, LOTSA information!

Okay, the video was awesome. I'm gonna go out and buy one and try it.

Pickled things don't pique my interest. Except...pickles.

Love most shellfish/seafood, esp. Mussels, clams, and scallops. Oysters, however, no. My ex husband used to love them, but i agree that they look like big ol' loogies.

I've never had guacamole either, though. I'm gonna try avocado plain and with salt and lemon juice, just to give it a chance.

The other thing that it seems like everyone here has had that i haven't is coconut oil/coconut manna.

Oh! And somebody mentioned pomegranates. They are fantastic.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 15:14
Experimenter

BF:

I like oysters and clams best raw. Yum! Toss in a little prepared horseradish on it... fabulous!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Mar-09-12 at 15:30.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 18:41

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

For those of you who don't like avos: do you think it could be the color?

My younger son always said he hated guacamole. He loved all other Mexican foods, though.

One night we ate at an outdoor table and his older brother ordered carne asada fries. So younger brother said "Ill have the same." My sons both devoured their food and I commented to my younger guy: "So, you like guacamole now?" and he said "NO!!"

The street lights were orangey-yellow so the guacamole that his carne asada was topped with looked brown. He said he thought it was some kind of beans (which he loves) and was shocked to think he ate guacamole and LIKED IT.

#28   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 02:15

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
For those of you who don't like avos: do you think it could be the color?

My knee-jerk reaction was of course not! I eat green things! Then I thought about it. It wasn't like it was a pretty emerald green on the inside- it was a lighter beige-green going towards the seed and little more darker going towards the skin. The lighter color- slime colored?-rot colored?- yah, not really attractive. I might have been thinking of rot or slime when I tried it.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 09:36
Experimenter

BF:

They used to make appliances that color. LOL!
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-12, 10:09

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Yes - I remember the avocado bathroom suites in the 1970's that it seemed everyone had!!