Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:04
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Atkins is so bad for your health
It is? Because I've never felt better in my life as I do now!
how can you eat just meat & eggs all the time?
I don't, I also eat a lot of vegetables.
what happens when you start eating a bunch of carbs again?
I'm not going to start eating a bunch of carbs again, that's how I got FAT in the first place.
I tried Atkins, and it did not work for me
Well, that's too bad because I'm having a lot of success on it. But hey, everybody's different.
Its so unhealthy, your arteries will get clogged from all that fat
If you only knew of the hundreds of people who experience the exact opposite. Would you like to visit a couple websites I frequent?
You better watch out, your cholesterol will go through the roof
Same as above
You are going to end up in the hospital if you keep doing Atkins
Oh, I didn't know you were a surgeon, is business getting slow lately because of all the low carbers out there?
That Atkins guy was WAY overweight when he died, so the diet must not work good enough
Since I have experience in this matter, I have no problem explaining to them fluid retention from IV fluids, etc.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

It's been my experience, so far (and admittedly it's only been about six weeks since I started Atkins) that no other diet gets dumped on by the media and general (uninformed) public in the way that Atkins does. I know two women who have been on a 500 calorie per day diet touted by a local (Ontario) doctor for months, who have been so weak that they could barely walk, who have to go in to the local "diet administrator" for shots of vitamin B12, and who have paid out well over a thousand dollars each for the privilege, but no one expresses anything but admiration for their "determination" and "willpower". Not that I am trying to diminish their achievement -- I'm not. They have both lost weight, but I really wonder if what is essentially a starvation diet will teach them how to keep it off. Anyway, that's another story.

I haven't seen one disparaging report on this extremely restrictive diet, but every day the media seems to have at least one error-ridden and disapproving piece on Atkins. Anyone else have ideas on why Atkins seems to have a big bulls-eye painted on it?

(Deep breath) Okay, rant over.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 16:01
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I used to explain, now I just suggest to the sincere ones they check out the website or offer to loan them my book. The snide ones get a dirty look (or a one-finger salute) and ignored.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:01

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I never tell people I'm on Atkins either. I just tell them that I'm cutting out all refined carbs because usually the subject only comes up when somebody offers me some high carb food. A few girls I work with and my SIL are doing Atkins so they know also.

My Mom used to get on my case here and there like one day we met at Jack in the Box for lunch and she said, "well now what are we going to have, they don't have any lowfat of fat free dressings" I said, "I'm not eating lowfat Mom", and she said "well that artery clogging dressing isn't going on my salad" she proceeded to order a chicken sandwich with no mayo!
She goes to WW but just bought the SB diet and has incorporated that into WW, so to me thats a start!

How come nobody ever sais to someone on a LF diet "what are you going to do when you eat fat again, are you going to gain all your weight back? No because in order to maintain your weight on a LF diet is to continue to eat LF and add back more good fats in moderation, just as us LC'rbrs will add back good carbs in moderation. GADS!

Wee
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:29
Sexifying me

Plan: one pound at a time plan
Stats: 242/242/199 Female 5'4
BF:dont want to know
Progress: 0%

Thanks for all of your responses, its pretty bad that some people have to keep quiet about being on Atkins, I tell everyone that asks, but I do understand why people would not want to mention that they are on Atkins, because of the remarks they might get.

I am just so sick of people telling me their horrible experience, or that it is bad for my health, heck I have not felt this good in YEARS, I am truly happy, and I want people to know that. I also experience people trying to sabotage my WOE. The other day I went out to eat with my Mom & Dad, my kids, hubby & brother & his girlfriend. They were trying to get me to eat Onion rings, but I had a very good salad & did not need that food, I think they were all trying to get me to give in, which is so stupid!

The majority of the people who have commented were saying so in an annoying manner, not everyone seems concerned, they just want to let me know their thoughs on Atkins, but sometimes I wish that if they were not supportive that they would say NOTHING at all, know what I mean??
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 18:34

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
They were trying to get me to eat Onion rings, but I had a very good salad & did not need that food, I think they were all trying to get me to give in, which is so stupid!
Okay, THAT would tick me off. I can understand them trying to get you to eat something "healthy," such as a baked potato. However, onion rings are not required for anyone's health, no matter what diet you're on.

If my family did that, I would have to say, "Does it bother you that I'm losing weight? Or that I feel better than I have in a long time? Why aren't you supporting me?"

Oh, I am ticked off for you, Iowan.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 19:18

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Anyone else have ideas on why Atkins seems to have a big bulls-eye painted on it?

I think:
  • Atkins was introduced in the 70's. There were many whole earth granola vegetarian types in that decade. Instant conflict.
  • Then, in the 80's and 90's, enter the low fat dogma. All because a couple of heart doctors postulated that eating fat makes you fat. They didn't factor in endocrinology, so now we are all the fatter for it.

Let's not forget the ill-conceived food pyramid. Or the big marketing machine that drives us to purchase quick-n-easy processed carbs in colorful packaging; not because it is healthy, but because it provides the highest profit margin.

I remember my grandmother telling my mother that the best way to lose weight was to: "just cut out the bread and the sweet tea." Imagine that; wisdom of the ages.

-G.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:03

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Atkins is so bad for your health Worse for your health than the way you eat?
how can you eat just meat & eggs all the time? I don't
what happens when you start eating a bunch of carbs again? You go back to the body you had when you ate a bunch of carbs before
I tried Atkins, and it did not work for me Did you read the book? Did you stick with it more than 12 hours?
Its so unhealthy, your arteries will get clogged from all that fat There have been no studies linking a high fat LOW CARB diet with coronary artery disease
You better watch out, your cholesterol will go through the roof My cholesterol is 113. Most people eating low carb experience a decrease in their cholesterol
You are going to end up in the hospital if you keep doing Atkins I work in the coronary care unit and have NEVER taken care of a patient who was doing Atkins when s/he came in
That Atkins guy was WAY overweight when he died, so the diet must not work good enough (I know WHY he weighed as much as he did, but not everyone is educated on the matter) (printed up a copy of one of the articles explaining what happened)

OK that was fun... Actually it is easier for me since I'm not on Atkins. Even if people have negative opinions of low-carbing, anyone who has seen me eat asks questions like, "do you eat healthy all the time?"

Jen
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 21:09

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneen. [I
...And then she said, "But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

Do I need them? What gives? lol. She just kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I don't feel as though I would become deficient if I cut out my low-carb bread...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?[/I]

I asked a dietician one time what nutrients you could only get from grains. She couldn't think of any. She mainly touted them as a source of "energy", i.e. calories!

Jen
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 22:51
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

If it's a casual acquaintence, I agree with the initial posters..to each their own is a good reply.

To my closer friends that are asking because they care, I tell them 2 things:

1) The atkins diet couldn't possibly be as dangerous at remaining at my previous weight.

2) Once you're on maintenance, Atkins basicallly just says cut out the sugars, and only eat as many carbs as you can burn off in a day.

.....and THEN...because I LOVE to explain all the benefits of Atkins, I spend a half hour explaining to them all the benefits of atkins, the medical studies, what ketosis is, good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, etc, etc, etc........they usually don't ask again...

#26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 23:01
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneen
"But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

Do I need them? What gives? lol. She just kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I don't feel as though I would become deficient if I cut out my low-carb bread...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?

~Kelly Deneen

Kelly, Had a similar experience walking to the teacher's lounge from the lunch line at school one day--a brilliant PE teacher (well, he thinks he's brilliant--and an expert on everything) was commenting about our VP, who has lost 60 pounds and looks great. Then brilliant PE teacher spoiled it by saying "Oh, but he's on that terrible Atkins diet, and it's really not good for you." Well, that's an opening I refuse to resist! So, I asked, "Why?" "You don't eat vegetables." "Excuse me? I eat more vegetables and more variety of vegetables now than I ever have before in my life! Could you tell me what's wrong with the lunch I have right now?" (it happened to be 2 small chicken breast shaker salads and a liter of water) (he had the shaker salad, too--and a giant chocolate chip cookie. Nothing to drink--he was going to get a soda in the teacher's room... ) "Uh, nothing--but you NEED grains." "Oh? Why?" (they hate that, those people who think they know everything and pontificate about anything) "For fiber!" I just laughed and said "I get plenty of fiber, thank you!" He hasn't said anything since. By the way--on a staff of 65 teachers, 10 of us are low carbers.

Jude
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 23:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey Lakookoo:
I think we get so much "duff" about Atkins because he is going against our religious social belief of eating fat is bad for you.
My in-laws started me on Atkins and they are slipping off and I still hear them talk about how they have to cut back on their fat (rather than their carbs). They know better but I suspect they didn't read all of Atkin's book (argh).
My husband does the same thing - talks about reducing his fat rather than his carbs for his "health." I cannot totally convince him that the fats are good and the "empty" carbs are bad.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 01:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I found when the word "Atkins" was mentioned it was a backlash of comments, BUT when I just said it is a "Diabetic Diet" ie, no sugar or insulin producing products, ie, bread, potatoes, rice, etc. they IMMEDIATELY got quiet. Subject changed instantly.

I do have a uncle who is a diabetic and this diet is almost EXACTLY what he is eating and it is NOT called atkins. Funny huh?

But most of the time, I just answer, see for yourself it works! and i show my new body off. (down 28 lbs now and it can be easily seen)
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 07:36
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
"But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

This happened with my doctor... I asked her why I needed the whole grains. She couldnt answer.

Try checking this out. http://www.drirene.net/qa3/qa150033.htm

Quote:
... However I find your question of whether you can remove all grains and replace them with fruits and vegetables an interesting one. First, folate is not your main concern, since folate is primarily obtained from fruits and vegetables. The major nutrients we normally receive from grains are complex carbohydrates, fiber, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and iron. Thus, the question is, can you receive these nutrients from other food groups.
The complex carbohydrate and fiber can be obtained from fruits and vegetables. However it is interesting that you appear to tolerate these, as many individuals with Chrohn’s disease cannot tolerate a high fiber diet. Iron is usually not a major concern in an individual who includes red meat. The iron in red meat is very well absorbed because it is in the form of “heme-iron”. A small amount of iron is found in dried fruits and some of the green leafy vegetables. Although this iron is not well absorbed, neither is the iron from grain products. Thus, as long as red meat is consumed, iron is probably not a concern.
So we are left with replacing the thiamin, riboflavin and niacin. While these vitamins are not found in many fruits and vegetables, they are found in other food groups. Thus, I have included some examples of other food sources of these nutrients. Thiamin is probably the largest challenge if you don’t eat pork products. For individuals with complex medical problems (and it sounds like you are in this category), I suggest sitting down with a Registered Dietitian. This individual is trained to do an in depth evaluation of your nutritional intake and determine if supplementation is necessary to meet your nutritional needs within your food tolerances. They would also evaluate the adequacy of the calcium in your diet, as it appears quite low from the limited information you have provided.

Alternatives to Grains as sources of Thiamin: Pork and ham. Examples of moderate sources include soy milk, sunflower seeds and some select vegetables such as green peas, acorn squash, and watermelon.
Alternative to Grains as sources of Riboflavin: Dairy products, eggs. Green leafy vegetables and nuts have a small amount.
Alternatives to Grains as a source of Niacin: Selections from the meat group such as chicken, tuna, liver, lean ham and fish can provide a significant source of niacin.

quoting Dodger from this thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165637 in the research forum

Quote:
Here is what I found about those vitamins.

From the "Nutrients in Food" by Elizabeth Hands.

"Thiamin is not heat-stable and, therefore, is one of the vitamins most easily destroyed by cooking or by the milling of grains. Thiamin is a water-soluble vitamin and will dissolve into the cooking liquid. ... The Enrichment Act of 1942 required thiamin (and several other nutrients ) to be added to flour and cereals to compensate for the loss of nutrients during the milling and processing of grain." "Excellent sources include pork, bacon, and ham, most nuts, fish, enriched grain products, soy and soy products ... "

"Riboflavin is processed out of whole grain when it is milled into flour and out of rice when it is polished. It is restored to white wheat flour and cornmeal through 'enrichment' ..." "The best riboflavin sources are organ meats (liver, kidney, heart), almonds, brewer's yeast, soynuts, shellfish (oysters, clams), yogurt and cheeses, milk, meats, poultry (especialy the dark meat), eggs, enriched breads, ..."

"When cereal grains are milled into flour, large amounts of nicin are lost. Because of enrichment, however, enriched grain products are a goood source of niacin. Niacin in meats is in a different form and apperas to be more available." "The best niacin sources are organ meats such as liver, fish, poultry, peanuts, nutritional yeast, lamb, veal, pork and ham, polish sausage, peanut butter, beef, enriched bread ..."

Doesn't seem that cutting out grains would result in any deficiencies of these vitamins as they are readily available in more natural "unenriched" foods than the processed grains.

I would totally rather eat natural unenriched whole foods to get these vitamins instead of highly processed grains.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't owe anyone an explanation but everyone who is clueless will get an explanation from me. I carry my health results with me to hand to people if they want to debate me. After reading my results I consider the case as being closed. However, I can go on to mention how there have been cultures who lived on a more extreme low carb diet for centuries who have health that we can only dream of.