Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 12:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The idea's supposed to be that the digestive enzymes etc. have sort of shut down, and sugars from fruit and that will be the easiest on the system. I'm not sure just how true that is, the digestive system doesn't just handle dietary nutrients, in the fed state, the liver releases around 70 grams of protein into the intestine to be re-digested, this would be much lower during an extended fast of course, but I wonder if it ever gets to zero? Not to mention, most of the symptoms of refeed syndrome seem to be more directly related to carbohydrate metabolism than to protein or fat. Hypophosphatemia, for instance, after a long fast the body hasn't needed to keep phosphate handy to produce glucose- or fructose- phosphates, suddenly adding in sugar can be dangerous.

I guess McDougall's patients would get medical supervision throughout the refeed, though. I don't really have a problem with the people at True North, I think they're wrong about veganism but their approach to the fasting seems reasonable. I can forgive being wrong, it's the spite of McDougall and some others that bothers me.
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 15:40

Plan: Carnivore & LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Wasn't there a Jimmy Moore podcast with Dr. MacDougall where he got quite nasty and disparaging when challenged with low carb science?
  #243   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 16:02

BF:

Yep. Jimmy sped it up so they sounded like chipmunks and put it on youtube.
  #244   ^
Old Sun, May-24-15, 16:44

Plan: Composite/Atkins 1972
Stats: 220/196/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Many years ago, at the suggestion of a friend, I read one of McD's books. When I read the recipes at the back, I knew I'd die of boredom in about a day. I can't imagine the man practices what he preaches. Meanwhile, I continue to kill my spouse and myself with kindness -- well-prepared meat and dairy.
  #245   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 09:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I was actually a McDougaller for a few months in 1998. As a member of his forum I was complaining that I was always hungry with my stomach grumbling so loudly that it could be heard across the room during meetings at work. I was also constantly thinking about food, eating 1100 perfect calories and not losing any weight. Luckily a "troll" responded that maybe McDougall is not for you and you might want to check out Protein Power. That heretic got me started on the road to wellness (not to be confused with the movie The Road to Wellville, about the original cereal killers and colonic enthusiasts).

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, May-25-15 at 10:02.
  #246   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 17:16
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was actually a McDougaller for a few months in 1998. As a member of his forum I was complaining that I was always hungry with my stomach grumbling so loudly that it could be heard across the room during meetings at work. I was also constantly thinking about food, eating 1100 perfect calories and not losing any weight. Luckily a "troll" responded that maybe McDougall is not for you and you might want to check out Protein Power. That heretic got me started on the road to wellness (not to be confused with the movie The Road to Wellville, about the original cereal killers and colonic enthusiasts).

Was the heretic Stan? He used to be a member but was banned for his... well... heresy lol.
  #247   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 18:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Was the heretic Stan? He used to be a member but was banned for his... well... heresy lol.
Possibly. Thanks for the link to his blog! We share several heretic views.
  #248   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 18:12
Lipivore

BF:

Well, I can't help lurking over there. Another thread was started about Dr. Hallberg's talk. McDougall hasn't chimed in so far so, it's a little more civil.

Jumpstart posted a comment that made me think.

Quote:
Openmind your question number 1 was interesting. It reminded me of a low carb study presented last year that "proved" that low carb was more beneficial than low fat (their idea of low fat is 30%). It showed more weight loss, better blood sugar control, higher HDL, lower trigs, gain of muscle while the 30 percenters lost muscle, and more fat lost. It seemed to be a huge win for low carb. I then looked at Dr. Campbell's site where he addressed the study and of course he noted the 30% being called low fat as well as the prior A to Z study that never really tested the Ornish diet. He went on to take a pot shot at most vegan whole food leaders who maintain that sat fat causes heart disease. he felt it weakened our position since the science isn't there to support that position. In all it wasn't a very satisfying response. I then went to the particulars of the study and reviewed the tables for myself. Well, well, well, if you looked at blood sugar control at the one year level it was the same for both the low carbers AND high faters, BUT, BUT, BUT if you looked at the amount of insulin it took to control that blood sugar, the low fat people beat the high faters hands down. After all isn't insulin supposed to be the enemy? What this study proved was, yes, you'd lose more weight and the numbers in the short term looked better, BUT you were hurting your long term health by pumping large amount of insulin into your system to control blood sugar. And that tells me you are becoming more and more insulin resistant. How long before you destroy your ability to produce insulin?

http://www.normanmarcuspaininstitut...w-Fat-Diets.pdf

Table 3 is what I'm interested in, specifically insulin. The low carb group did experience a sharper drop in insulin at the three month point but It started increasing from that point on. The low fat group didn't experience as much of an initial drop but it continued to drop at six months and at one year.

As Jumpstart points out, the low fat group was 30% fat. Not really as low fat as McDougall recommends. On the other hand, The low carb group wasn't really as low carb as most low carbers practice it. It was about 30% carbs, which is on the higher end of the PHD carb percentage recommendation.

My first thought is that obviously, this is too much carbohydrate and the rise in insulin would not occur on a lower carb diet.

My second thought is that low carb, ketogenic diets naturally lead to IF in many of us but not all. As some N=1 experimenters have found, IF does lower fasting insulin levels by quite a lot!

Was the low carb group too high in carbs to be able to go very long without eating or were they eating "by the clock" and not by hunger?
  #249   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 18:16
Lipivore

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Possibly. Thanks for the link to his blog! We share several heretic views.

No problem! Heretics Unite!
  #250   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 19:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Well, I can't help lurking over there. Another thread was started about Dr. Hallberg's talk. McDougall hasn't chimed in so far so, it's a little more civil.

Jumpstart posted a comment that made me think.

Table 3 is what I'm interested in, specifically insulin. The low carb group did experience a sharper drop in insulin at the three month point but It started increasing from that point on. The low fat group didn't experience as much of an initial drop but it continued to drop at six months and at one year.

As Jumpstart points out, the low fat group was 30% fat. Not really as low fat as McDougall recommends. On the other hand, The low carb group wasn't really as low carb as most low carbers practice it. It was about 30% carbs, which is on the higher end of the PHD carb percentage recommendation.

My first thought is that obviously, this is too much carbohydrate and the rise in insulin would not occur on a lower carb diet.

My second thought is that low carb, ketogenic diets naturally lead to IF in many of us but not all. As some N=1 experimenters have found, IF does lower fasting insulin levels by quite a lot!

Was the low carb group too high in carbs to be able to go very long without eating or were they eating "by the clock" and not by hunger?
I've been low-carbing for about 15 years. I started low-carbing after my physician tested by glucose tolerance. My blood glucose level was in the acceptable range, but my insulin level was very high. It was obvious to both of us that my pancreas could not keep supplying such large amounts of insulin without damaging itself. My fasting insulin level is now 4.
  #251   ^
Old Mon, May-25-15, 21:03

BF:

Serum insulin started at about 100 for both groups. At 12 months, it was down 24 for the high carbers and 14 for the low carbers--so we're talking somewhere in the 70's vs. somewhere in the 80's. Looked at that way, nobody ended anywhere near the finish line.

Quote:
Although serum
levels of insulin and creatinine decreased significantly in
each group, the decreases did not differ significantly between
groups

Anyways, the differences weren't considered significant.
  #252   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 04:40

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

So, the low-carb group did best in everything measured, but none of that matters cuz it's all about insulin. Here's a few tidbits that illustrates well what these guys think (parenthesis my comments):
Quote:
"In the 1910's, before the discovery of insulin, most of the diets were tried against diabetes with varying degrees of success : fasting, low calorie diet, high fat diet, etc. What the diabetes doctors missed was probably the whole philosophy of T Colin Campbell."
(Yeah, cuz you know, Campbell wasn't born yet.)
---
"You can control blood sugar by not putting any sugars in your body. An asinine approach. Besides the various deleterious effects of such a diet, you compromise your body's ability to control sugars naturally, with insulin. So if you do put sugars into your body later, you have a problem."
(Yeah, that's the plan. Don't eat sugar now to get rid of problems now, just to get those problems again when we eat sugar later.)
---
"What does it profit these patients if they improve their glucose readings as they increase their risks for CHD and CVD, etc."
(Below your post, arugula, another guy linked a study that completely refutes what you just said about CHD/CVD.)
---
"I know a friend who has tried to control his type 2 diabetes with a low carb diet. I don't know what his blood sugars have been, but he's had a few other problems crop up that might be related to the excessive meat eating- kidney stones, gall stones, intestinal problems, etc.

I don't think these low carbers really have a wholisitic view of health- they focus like a laser beam on blood sugar levels, and the digestive system be damned."
(Of course, a single anecdote you know little about gives you reason to condemn an entire group.)
---
"It's hard for me to picture someone who eats oatmeal and greens for breakfast, brown rice and veggies for lunch, and steamed veggies and bean and kale soup for dinner suffering from diabetes complications, while the person that eats bacon, cheese and butter suffers no complications at all."
(Mais oui, it's hard for you to imagine. Especially if you believe foods that contain zero sugar can somehow cause complications for diabetes. It's hard for me to imagine how you could believe that.)
---
"For a low carb diet to be healthiest for diabetics, we'd essentially have to throw out the collective wisdom of mankind since Biblical times (and maybe from before that), that wealthy people who eat excessive amounts of meats and cheese's suffer from 'rich man's diseases'. We'd have to then conclude it wasn't that pile of sausages that caused the diseases, but that little crust of bread eaten with the sausages that is the true culprit :-).

And of course, we'd have to ignore the anecdotal evidence I suspect most of us have all seen in our lifetime- the relatively healthy people, for the most part, didn't drink, smoke or eat excessive amount of food, especially meats, cheeses, junk food, soda. Yes, most of us knew as kids that vegetarians were generally more healthy than the rest of the populations- we've just 'unlearned it' ever since the Atkins Revolution."
(No. You just have to throw out a lengthy list of diet experiments - such as the one linked two posts below yours - that show low-carb is best for everything measured. Then hope nobody notices.)
---
"And let the haters inject insulin with their brie."
(That's funny. Really. Experiments show eating fat reduces the post-prandial BG spike in a dose-dependent fashion, thereby implying a reduced need for insulin, also dose-dependent, confirmed by Dr Bernstein's own data, whom you guys seem to know quite a bit about.)
---
"Will somebody please explain how these people had 500 kcal/day deficits for an entire year but lost only 1.8 kg on the "low-fat" diet and 5.3 kg on the "low-carbohydrate" diet?

By my calculations, if the subjects were adherent, it would have been 23.6 kg lost either way.

Also, look at their starting points: approx 98kg starting weight. How is it possible that their baseline kcal intakes are only 2000 kcal/day? They need at least 3000 kcal/day to maintain that bodyweight."
(Your calculations are wrong. Get over it.)

OK, I lied. It's much more than just a few tidbits. Well, that just shows it ain't just tidbits, it's everything. They don't like science, facts, or reason. They prefer anecdotes, charisma, and physical appearance.
  #253   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 20:17

Plan: Low carb/High Fat
Stats: 80/80/80 Male 1.85 cm
BF:
Progress:

Vegan gurus are closer to anorexia than being lean. If some low carb 'gurus' are not lean, so what? Whats that got to do with the diet? May'be they aren't even adhering that strictly to it. Many low carb advocates are in good shape. Some people think everything is 100 percent related to food as if EMF radiation and blue light exposure don't play a role.
  #254   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-15, 07:40

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I started this mess, and I feel I have to update it.

Yes, some of the low carb gurus may be fatter than the plant-based gurus, but lowcarbers are way nicer than the vegans. Of course I don't mean that there aren't any nice vegans. And I'm not just sucking up to this forum, lol. But it's something I've experienced over and over, online and in real life and I think it's important somehow...just not sure what it means.

I don't know if it's because the plant people are ideologically motivated, or their brains aren't getting enough fat, or maybe different personality types are drawn to different diets.

I'd love to hear any theories on this.
  #255   ^
Old Sun, Aug-02-15, 08:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was nutrition - or lack thereof - affecting mood and personality. It seems to be pretty well accepted that a lot of mood and behaviour disorders respond at least partially to improved nutrition. I know myself, my anxiety and depression is alleviated big time by eating LC/gluten free. So if you're a vegan who's consuming a ton of gluten (yes, some are gluten free but not many,) soy out the wazoo, probably way insufficient DHA/EPA because you won't eat animal fats ie fish, and gawd knows what other deficiencies... I can see how your brain maaaaaaay be affected.

Every vegan I've been remotely close to has been a volatile jerk, but that's just my experience. Plenty of meat-eating jerks, too.