Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2521   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/226/155 Female 5 Foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Jes and Louloo,
How wonderful to see the two of you posting.

I had thought of posting about a month or so ago but hadn't seen anyone posting so I figured it was no use.So glad I took the plunge and posted today.It's so nice to see the responses from the three of you.

Jes.....I was so happy to see a post from you since we go back aways.I have been thinking about you in my absense and wondering how you were doing.So you have gone up some too.This has been the worse year for me since starting low carbing 3 1/2 years ago.Congratulations on losing the weight you had gained.How have you been?

Louloo..It's so nice to meet you.I believe you must have joined our thread when I was absent.Please tell me about yourself.

I will say a little about myself here so you won't have to go back and catch up.I started low carbing in January of 2003.I had lost 42 pounds but last year and this year I haven't done all that well.I am the mother of two grown daughters ages 30 and 29.They are both married.Our oldest daughter and her husband have blessed us with two grandchildren.Our grandson is now 5 1/2 and our granddaughter will be 2 on the 30th.

Hope we can keep this thread going once again.Hope everyone continues to check and let us know how you are doing.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2522   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 22:50

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Ladies

I just wrote a nice long post---and I lost it when I went to submit it-grrrrrrr!!
too late to start again tonight, will rewrite tomorrow, haven't posted in a while, must remember to do it in WORD first.

Hope you all had a nice weekend, we had snow here all weekend

Jes
  #2523   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 23:18
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Wow, this thread is still going. I posted here a few times, but I mentioned I wasn't quite 50 yet and I got a private message from someone telling me it was for 50 and over. Heck, I was going through menopause symptoms so bad back then I was looking to talk to others who had gone through it or were going through it. Well, I'm still not 50, but only 18 days away from it so I thought I'd come post again. I looked back a few pages and don't see the lady who said I shouldn't be in it until I'm 50.
  #2524   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 05:41

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi all

Nancy you are probably right.

I just recently retired after working 45 years. I am a mother of 2 sons, both are in their fourties and have 6 grandchildren ages 24 - 16.

I have been trying to lose this weight it seems like forever. I did lose 25 lbs a few years ago when I sarted Atkins, but of course put it back on again.
I'm currently doing a plan called EFGT(Eat Fat Get Thin) by Barry Groves. It is quite easy and quite satisfying. I have been off plan for a couple of weeks, as we have had company. They have gone and now it's time to get back on plan.

BBL Have a great day.

Welcome Cheryl
  #2525   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 08:08

BF:

Cheryl,
You are more than welcome to join us.I started this thread almost 3 years ago.So sorry someone sent you a private message telling you that you weren't welcome since you are under 50.Being under 50 is just fine.It's only a number.We are here to support each other and that is what matters most.
Hope you will jump right in and be a part of our thread.
If you have any questions about menopause please ask away.Life is a journey and we learn as we go along.
Nancy
  #2526   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 08:49

BF:

Louloo,
Tell us about EFGT Plan since you said that it worked for you and was easy to follow.
How is the weather up your way?
Nancy
  #2527   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 09:24

BF:

Nancy, basically it's a low carb plan eating 60-70% fat 10-15% carbs and 20-30%protien.

You can find out more on this site under low carb diet plans or on Barry Groves website www.second-opinions.co.

The book is an e-book. Very good read for the price.

It's snowing right now. We are supposed to get 2 inches today.

Last edited by Louloo : Mon, Oct-16-06 at 11:02.
  #2528   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 11:05

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Oooh fun, the ladies are back!!!
Nancy, so sorry to hear about your high level of stress this year. Hope it's all behind you now and this year is better!
I have had a fabulous summer of fun with my daughters and granddaughter, also lots of forbidden food like gelato and wine, and I sure can feel the effects on my waistline now that I have started wearing my fall clothes again!!!
Tomorrow is my birthday, it will be my last day of splurging... on Wednesday, I am back on LC... watch out for the falling weight!!!
Louloo, this EFGT Plan sounds fabulous. I always do so well on lots of fat and protein. Would you share with us some of your menu samples, just to give me some new ideas? I would really like that.
Have a fabulous day, you all.
  #2529   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 11:06

BF:

Oooh fun, the ladies are back!!!
Nancy, so sorry to hear about your high level of stress this year. Hope it's all behind you now and this year is better!
I have had a fabulous summer of fun with my daughters and granddaughter, also lots of forbidden food like gelato and wine, and I sure can feel the effects on my waistline now that I have started wearing my fall clothes again!!!
Tomorrow is my birthday, it will be my last day of splurging... on Wednesday, I am back on LC... watch out for the falling weight!!!
Louloo, this EFGT Plan sounds fabulous. I always do so well on lots of fat and protein. Would you share with us some of your menu samples, just to give me some new ideas? I would really like that.
Have a fabulous day, you all.
Danielle
  #2530   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-06, 07:48

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
I'm ducking--I'm ducking!! I am trying to get back to induction too! I need to shop today, especially for coconut oil. I'm also getting a new hair style today. Need to feel good about myself!

Have a nice day all.
  #2531   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 18:38

BF:

Hi Nancy

How is it going with the stationery bike, keep at it, you’ll be back to 30 mins before you know it.
To catch up I haven’t done well on my exercising over the past months. I stopped swimming over the summer holidays (too many kids for me) and now here it is October and I haven’t got back to it. The stationery bike came to a complete halt after I took a fall on a crooked sidewalk and landed on my knees while I was in California at Easter, thank heavens I didn’t break any bones and my brother-in-law having to pull me upright must have been a sight to see! I still walk but with the knees being stiff and sore I am not as fast and don’t go as far. I really need to get back on track which would probably help the stiffness and soreness plus aid in weight loss. I’ve been busy over the last few weeks being co-driver for my granddaughter while she gets in her required hours driving (10 hrs day, 10hrs night and 10 hrs with snow on the ground) before she takes the road test. It’s not my favourite thing to do but her mother can’t do it as she hasn’t had her licence for 3 yrs yet.
I still follow Protein Power and my weigh-ins are Sunday. Last Sunday I was down half a pound to 207.

Hi JAnn
How did you make out getting back on induction this week? I just love coconut oil and use it all the time. How did the new hairstyle turn out?

Hi Danielle
Happy Birthday to you, hope you had a nice day. It’s good to hear you had a great summer with your family. You did settle in the city didn’t you?

Hi Louloo
Welcome to another Canadian. I’ve never spent too much time in Alberta but I do have a brother in Calgary and I’ve really enjoyed the trips through Alberta when I’ve gone to visit. I was born and grew up in Vancouver BC but have now lived in the Yukon for 35yrs. I was a single mother with 3 kids when I came here, found a job that I had until I took early retirement due to health reason 11 yrs ago. I live alone (happily) 2 of my children still live here as well as my 19 yr old granddaughter.
I checked out the website you mentioned, the EFGT plan looks very interesting and pretty straightforward to follow.

Hi and welcome back Cheryl
I hope you have a great 50th birthday in a couple of weeks! I see by our stats we are about the same in height and weight. I’ve been low carbing since Jan 2000, started with CALP (carbohydrate addicts life plan) after a year I switched to Atkins for about another year and have been on Protein Power since. I had tried the original Dr Atkins plan back in 1973 and lost a lot at that time however I did not realize the benefits of this way of eating and of course gained the weight back.

Have a good week everyone
Jes
  #2532   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 23:50

BF:

Hi Jes,
Thank you for the birthday wishes; I had a wonderful time.
And yes, we are settled back in the city, my daughter and I. We have found 2 appartments in the same building, one just over the other one, and it is just like living in a big house, the little one going back and forth and enjoying us both, but at the same time, we have our privacy, and this is really the way we like it both. Perfect arrangement.
I just learned today that my mother had a stroke last night. She lives alone in Quebec City, and thank God, her friend called her last night to announce the birth of her second grandchild. When my mom did not answer the phone, very unusual, her friend went to check on her, and rushed her to the hospital. She is in ICU, but I was able to talk to her; her speech is slurred and she has lost most of her vision, she is terrified. I want to go there asap, and trying to figure out how on earth I gonna find the $1000 to pay for the plane ticket! Why is air travel so expensive any way?
Even in all the turmoil, I managed to stay on track. In fact, I ate very little today, just a chicken leg for lunch and some meat balls for dinner. Just to busy to eat I guess.
I need to check that EGFT plan tomorrow. Now, time for bed.
It is way past my bedtime!
Danielle
  #2533   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 10:19

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Hi everyone. My new hairstyle looks very nice andhopefully it will be easy to care for. I didn't get any coconut oil at the HF store as they had just the 16 oz jar and it was expensive. I'm going to look online.

Sorry to hear about your mother, Fauve. Fortunately they've come a long way in treating stroke victims and she should get at least some of her vision and speech back after a few days.
  #2534   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 10:46

BF:

Good Morning ladies

Fauve, sorry about your DM.

JAnn, that's hat I need to do. The grey is really starting to show through. I can't color it myself because of arthritis.

As far as menus go for the EFGT plan, as long as you keep the ratios right 60-70% fat, 10-15 % carbs and 20-30% protein, you should do OK. Similar to other plans, except the protein is reduced and the fat upped.
Maybe you could have 2 eggs, 3 bacon, cream in your coffee and butter for frying eggs and maybe 1/2 cup of blueberries. You could use MY PLAN on this site to work out your ratios.

Best thing is to buy the e-book and read what he has to say. I think it works out to about $10.50 CDN.

Jes nice to meet you too. I've never been to the Yukon, but it's on my list to do.

Take care BBL
  #2535   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 11:33

BF:

Good Morning Ladies,
Weigh-in day for me. I am at 206.5 this morning, that is down 1/2 lb. I started again on Sept 10 at 218 and my short term goal is to reach onederland by Christmas which is 9 weeks from now--I gotta do it. I will start doing WATP1 (Leslie Sansone's Walk away the Pounds, 1 mile) Monday to Friday and get back to regular walking as well, then I will decide about the bike and swimming.

Danielle, very sorry to hear about your mother, hope you were able to get back east to see her.

I hope everyone else had a good week.

Jes
Closed Thread