Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 06:52
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Weekly weigh-in: down 6 pounds. Which puts my total to a bit over 31 pounds since mid-March. This week again increases my health gain and all the markers that improve my life. I am more than astounded. And I am very thankful. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Now, my diet is not perfect...but it is 97.99% perfect (wink). I really AM trying my best to eat legally primal. i do not do grains or legumes (unless hummus is a legume and then I did eat a pretty fair helping of hummus) - mostly meats and fish and eggs. I eat more cheese than I should. But I am consistantly eating on program schedule. I eat my BIG meal every single day with at least 50g of protein. I eat 5 or 6 hours later with a good lunch and follow that 5 hours later with a lovely dinner. My meals are posted in my j. I have never done without. And since I give portions most of the time you can see that for a normally sized person they would be stuffed. CLEAN LC eating does matter. Timing matters.
And I do what exercise I can. Faithfully. If I had legs that worked (one day they will again) I would walk as much as practical every day. As it is I push my wheelchair backwards using my legs until my leg pain overtakes ability. Every trip to the mens room at work (4 or 5 times a day) I do 20-25 arm presses using my 4 handed metal walker as weights - raising it overhead and down like a weight lifter. Faithfully.
Yup. I have earned my weight loss. I follwed the program. I ate sensibly (for me following primal guidelines). I took my supplements without fail (GNC Mega Men's 50Plus packet), 6k (min) vitamin D3, and quality fish oil. I did what exercise I could...thankfully Kreus is not big on exercise at the start of the LR. :-)
But I also realize that my recent successes has a great deal to do with the program. I just follow it.
I have been on these boards since 2003...coming up fast on 9 years. Medically, I have done a dozen diets. Some more than once. This is the 1st program to deliver on it's promise greater than my expectations. I KNOW this will work for me as long as I follow it sensibly. Who could ask for more?
Wishing you every happiness and great health!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
I thought my battery in my scale was going out, the weight was wrong,
so I replaced it, and my husband walked in on me as I was weighing myself and caught me saying
"... I guess it wasn't the battery after all, I'm still fat"

he chuckled

lol.. Esam, that's just too funny and sounds like what will happen to me!

MisterE you are such an inspiration! Awesome work and I do have faith that one day you aren't going to need that wheel chair or walker with such wonderful progress!

I went to my parents for a few days. Was very hard. My mom is of the 'watch your portions, eat low fat' camp. I put half a tablespoon of butter to make a couple of eggs and she was like, 'You don't need so much fat!' but.. I really do! Especially after my body is used to this WOE. So my BAB were not nearly as big, and by day 3 I was really hungry. I called a hiatus to the diet for a family dinner on Saturday. Spending all day smelling delicious food when you are very hungry isn't optimal for will power. But, I picked myself up this morning.. started again and now I'm back home. Had lots of fatty meat today, including a ribeye steak. I finally feel full. Tomorrow the BAB start again and I hope I haven't set myself back too much on the reset.
  #228   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 10:24

BF:

So far so good.. BAB today - 4 eggs 3 slices thick bacon for breakfast, coffee with coconut oil

Jimmy John's lettuce wrap at lunch - trying to go heavy on the fat today to combat possible post off plan carb cravings. Had a big pickle. yum!

Water.. lots of water!
  #229   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 08:33

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%

Mister E, *hugs* you are doing stellar!!!

DA, yeah, I have my moments of wit and humor,

my newest obsession recently is what has me away from the boards, but I'm proud to say that it's not food related!!! I've been watching Grey's Anatomy from the begining, so my free time is spent gasping and laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. I don't need anything to snack on, just stay glued to the tv!! this is cool because I've never been able to watch tv without wanting munchies, but I don't even care about food so much now..... it's a great feeling.
  #230   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 09:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
Mister E, *hugs* you are doing stellar!!!

DA, yeah, I have my moments of wit and humor,

my newest obsession recently is what has me away from the boards, but I'm proud to say that it's not food related!!! I've been watching Grey's Anatomy from the begining, so my free time is spent gasping and laughing at the ridiculousness of it all. I don't need anything to snack on, just stay glued to the tv!! this is cool because I've never been able to watch tv without wanting munchies, but I don't even care about food so much now..... it's a great feeling.

That's awesome, Esam! Last year I got into the whole Battlestar Galactica thing.. I know I'm behind, but I had no TV for a very long time and they had it all on Netflix. Now I've been watching Stargate Atlantis and Being Human (UK Version)

I used to be a snacker too watching TV or a movie, now I don't even eat anything.. just sip water or tea. It's so freeing!
  #231   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-12, 10:29

We did the Battlestar Galactica too, we've done 24, Alias, but there is something about Grey's that even has my husband addicted. We only have a couple seasons left on netflix, I know there are more, just not available.....

beats the heck out of carbs!!!
  #232   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 08:37
90 Days at a Time

BF:

First: only lost 3/10ths of one pound this week but at least it was in the right direction. Still down a massive amount in the 1st month. Health markers all good.
One minor caveat is that I sprained my bad knee last week doing more exercise than was good for me (obviously) so have been out of action since Thursday. Went to work Friday but it took several grown men to help me get around. Will go back to work tomorrow. Again, with the help of friends at work.
No exercise for the legs for the next little while. Regardless how good I feel I still have no cartiledge in my right kneecap at all. :-) Baby steps. Literally.
Now, on the TV front. Having made TV for 40+ years the alst thing I like to do when I get home is watch TV. I DO NOT watch news (if it bleeds it leads) or network TV shows where folks get hurt, maimed, raped, etc. Post war I am the most Disneyesque fella on the block. Works for me. :-)
That said, I love the old Sherlock Holmes stuff. Charlie Chan. I spend my evenings on the back porch with the wife and dog; I read a bit; and I immerse myself in the wonderful world of Netflix. :-)
  #233   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 13:34

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

is anybody else having trouble connecting to JackKruse.com? None of my links to his site seem to work anymore?
  #234   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 20:30

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Tried it -- it works for me.
  #235   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-12, 08:53

What did you do in TV MisterE??

I didn't used to be into tv so much, but my husband is ( being ADD, he likes to always have it on for background and such...) When I was a single mom and the 9-11 happened, I had to go to walmart to buy an antennae to even see the news!! I only watched vidoes with my daughter ( yes, all the Disney ones ) but my husband is a computer, electronic, tv nut who has all the latest, greatest toys!!

sorry I haven't been around much, been working at my new job., It's been taking a bit out of me, constantly tired. Can't bounce back like these younger kids can..... not 23 anymore.
At least I'm still on track with my diet! ( YEAH!!!) I even am down a couple more lbs.... I have had times where I thought I was going to snack, or cheat, but I just never do. I have looked temptation in the eye and resisted. even when I didn't think I could resist!! Its crazy, I'm so thankful to God for helping me with this, because if left to my own devices, I'm sure I would fail.

So not much new for me...... still VLC, still on JKLR. no snacking, BAB to start the day, I haven't been doing the CT, but I don't see any harm from not doing that.......

Hope everyone else is doing fantastic!!!!
  #236   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 01:17

Plan: Paleo/Leptin reset
Stats: 200/200/125 Female 54 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Greetings

After reading through the entire thread, I made an account so I could reply.

I like the support and also the acceptance that sometimes sticking to the more rigid programs is difficult because we are all different. Some of the strictly Paleo sites can get a bit righteous.

I inadvertently did a leptin reset when I started eating Paleo (with dairy) in January. Then went off of the strict no carbs/low carbs of my Paleo diet. This unfortunately increased my sensitivity to carbs even more and I managed to gain some weight. I also took the increased fat consumption a bit too much to heart. So I had to rethink my plan. Many of your posts helped me do that.

Even though I was not aware that I did a leptin reset, many of the benefits that are described, I experienced. Sleep improved, lost all appetite for "bad" foods, such as bread, sweets. I also was breaking out in tremendous sweats, usually in the evening. I never got cold, though body temp was slightly low. Aches and pains disappeared and my moods became much more stable. I felt really good. I just wish I'd known what was actually happening, so I could have enhanced the leptin reset process and capitalized on the results. I thought I was just doing Paleo and the positive things happening were a result of the elimination of grains, legumes, and sugar. Though partly true, the leptin reset was also causing good things to happen.

The leptin reset is clearly hard to do in some ways, but I think it does make sense. Kruse's view is pretty adamant that whey protein during the reset is a bad idea. He says that it increases insulin resistance, at least while you are in the leptin reset phase. I get up very early between 5 and 6 am so the protein drinks where the easiest way to protein load early. My BAD is going to have to be planned ahead. I also got a lot of metabolic benefit from exercising early in the day and then having a protein drink, which is definitely not JKLR compliant.

I notice a lot of you are exercising while doing the reset.

Anyway, this is a great thread with some very nice folks and significant success. Hope it carries on.

Now off for a nice cold bath, NOT! But maybe the ice pack idea is doable.
  #237   ^
Old Tue, May-01-12, 09:33

Hi GUYS!!!
its been a few weeks since I've been on the boards, I have been sick this last week and I've noticed a few things...... first, I feel weak towards foods that I didn't used to.... the first couple of days I actually wanted to eat crap carbs!!!! (O-M-G!!!) so my resistance seemed a bit low...... I also droped a couple lbs ( yeah!!! praise GOD!!!) but I need to be a bitm ore diligent..... I see so much crap ~ work, I just need to stay on track!! I did cheat a tiny bit yesterday at lunch, I had a bit of brownie and 3 bites of cake (my oldests birthday was thurs, and thats why there was cake in the house) but I had it at lunch time, so I had a fair bit of protein in me, so I didn't fall too far off the wagon. This was the very first time I have had real sugar since MY birthday December 30th ( 4 whole months without sugar is a long time!) For dinner I kept it completly legal!! I have been afraid that if I cheated, it would trigger a complete binge, but I'm proud to say that I'm sooo over it!! ( yeah!)

I haven't integrated exercize yet, I know I need to, but haven't found the energy, inspiration, or MOTIVATION!!!

Welcome welcome welcome AIRMED!
glad you felt compelled to join!! it's nice to have a fresh perspective!

Hope everyone is doing well and having a groovy day!!
  #238   ^
Old Fri, May-04-12, 13:00

BF:

Well, I have an appointment with a doctor specializing in thyroid/adrenal issues. I was exercising and doing the leptin reset and suddenly I have NO energy, and I keep going up in weight. I truly think something is wrong at a base level with my body as I've never felt this bad before. It's so bad that I can barely make it through the day.

It probably doesn't help that my job is stressful, my drive to work is VERY stressful with traffic tie ups. As my mom used to say, 'I'm tired of feeling tired.'

So, the leptin reset is waiting a bit now. I just can't do it if my thyroid is kaput. I'm wearing a jacket outside in 78 degree weather and feeling okay about that. I've never needed a jacket when it's been over 65 before.

Glad to hear you are doing good, Esam!
  #239   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 23:28

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Hi there, reseters. We've started a thread over in the challenges subforum for cold thermogenesis. Come on over and freeze your asses off with us!
  #240   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 17:45
90 Days at a Time

BF:

I assume you all have heard about Kruse being thrown (unceremoniously) off the Low Carb Cruise for being a suspected Bio Terrorist? Yup. Look it up. Man, I would be sueing everybody connected. Starting with the cruise lines.