Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 10:29
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Quote:
So I guess we are opposites in that....lol. You need variety, and I gotta limit mine. It`s like that thing where you go to the grocery store, and buy all kinds of fun things, and then have to take a bite of each thing when you get home "just to try it out". Yeah, that`s soooo unnecessary. If I only bought salad and chicken, you can bet there would be no tasting sessions post-shopping....lolololol.

Even if i brought home salad and chicken.. believe you me.. there'd be 5 types of dressings to sample.. All my friends make fun of me.. it's all about the sauce for me Really... Tarter Sauce, Ranch Dressing, Mayo, Butter Sauce... Better never switch to LowFat, huh? hehe..

Muahhhhhh!!!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 09:45
Chicken Butt

Plan: My Own/ CKD
Stats: 152/129/115 Female 5'0"
BF:24.5/?/?
Progress: 62%
Default NEW JOURNAL for FOOD-- and usual exercize updates

I have finally given in, and created a journal where I can log my food-- it`s getting to be a little silly to post food here in the exercize forum, so for my daily intake, please redirect to my other thread: [U]Dogbone`s Daily Chronicle.

And now for the exercize updates....

First, My digestive system finally seems to have woken up from its carbohydrate induced coma-- loong painful morning in the looo. No fun. But at least my gut doesn`t feel as bloated. I`m afraid to get on the scale still, but I did some quick measurements, as I am officially starting the UD2.0 diet and exercize plan along with TD this week. Waist has gone from 26" to 28", and hips are at 36"-- nothing tragic, but I`d like to see my waist down to 25 by X-mas. I didn`t measure thighs, but given the fit of the jeans I wore last night, they may have bulked a little too....sigh.

I`m frankly a bit nervous about the influx of a full weekend of carbs every weekend on the UD2 plan, but I think if I stay away from the processed wheat products, I should be ok-- that means I`ll need whole grains like spelt and oats, and other carbs like fruit and starchy veggies to munch on the weekends. Not too bad.

The exercise plan seems to look something like this:

Mon:
Pushing exercises (like db presses)

Tues:
Pulling exercises (like cable rows)

Wed:
off

Thurs:
Cardio

Fri:
Depletion workout

Sat and Sun: dunno yet-- dan will tell me when we get to the gym I guess.

Anyway, we`ll see how it feels-- I`ve lost some ground, and I really want to kick it up again.

Here is what i`ve done at the gym from Wednesday till today:

Wed:
Widegrip pull downs: 3 x 12, (90,90,100)

Cable Rows: 3 x 12 (90,90,100)

Butt Blaster: 3 x 12 alternating legs (62.5, 62.5, 75)

Bicep EZ Bar Curls: 3 x 12 (45, 40, 40)

Side Lateral Raises: 3 x 12 (10, 10, 10)

Abs:
2 x 10-- incline crunches
2 x 20 -- ball crunches

20 minutes elliptical-- 168 calories

THURSDAY workout:

20 minutes elliptical-- 172 calories
  #213   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 07:51

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Good day in the gym yesterday. Legs sore yet?
  #214   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 17:27
Chicken Butt

Workout UPdates!!!

Saturday--> NOTHING!! Rest day.

Sunday--> Power Lift Day. Yes, TD, my legs are sooooore today.

Superset:
Smith Squats 1 x 6~ 140, 1 x 6 ~150, 1 x 6 ~ 160
Standing Calf Raises 1 x 8 ~ 80, 1 x 7~ 90, 1 x 6 ~ 100

Superset:
DB Chest Press: 1 x 6 ~ 35, 1 x 5 ~ 40, 1 x 2 ~ 45
One arm Rows: 1 x 6 ~ 30, 1 x 5 ~ 35, 1 x 4 ~ 40

Leg Press: 1 x 6 ~ 260, 1 x 5 ~ 280, 1 x 4 ~ 300 <---

Superset:
Dips ~ bodyweight --> 3 x 6
Cable bicep curls: 1 x 6 ~ 60, 1 x 6 ~ 70, 1 x 6 ~ 72

Monday:
Legs are sore, but I`m gonna push through it and do cardio tonight-- planning on doing 20 minutes of elliptical.
  #215   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 08:38

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone1
Congrats on your size 6s!!! That`s great news!! It sounds like your cardio is really getting somewhere-- I need to take some inspiration from you. Not only have I fallen off the wagon, I think the wagon is actually dragging me by the ear.
Workout UPdates!!!

Thanx!! I am so determined this time to get rid of this extra insulation around my tummy. I really feel all this cardio is helping. Especially since I wasn't too embarrassed to put my swimsuit on and go to the beach!!

Don't give up (which Iknow you won't)! I'm sure you will soon be pulling that wagon with ease instead of it dragging you by the ear! We all fall off it occastionally, and it takes some time to just jump right back on. I think I just got back on and I'm finally enjoying the ride (or at least results).

About the job in Houston. I still haven't heard. That freaking guy won't call me back!!! UGH!!!!
  #216   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-04, 08:45
Chicken Butt

Workout Update For Monday:

20 minutes elliptical, med. intensity: 168 calories

Today`s plan:

Pt. 1 of depletion workout + cardio
  #217   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 09:46
Chicken Butt

Tuesday`s killer depletion workout:

All of the below were sets of 3 sets of 12 reps:

SLDL: 95lbs

Iso-lateral pulldown: 1 x 50lbs, 2 x 70lbs

Back extensions: w/ 25lb plate

Cable rows: 90lbs

DB curls: 15lbs

Concentration curls: 15 lbs

Lat Raises: 10 lbs
  #218   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

hey DB....saw your note in my jounal...so I take it you are starting your defluffing as it were. I actually went on a self imposed bulk because I cannot lose any weight until I have suregery in October..so hopefully I will be back to the good fight in November, and see what is under the fluff I have packed on the last few months...keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to ya...I am sure you will do great.
  #219   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 07:28
Chicken Butt

Yesterday`s Update:

No gym. We went to eat bbq instead and relax a little instead. Crappy weather and soreness.....sigh.

Anyway, back to the gym today. I go alone to conquer.
  #220   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 08:10

Quote:
We went to eat bbq instead and relax a little instead. Crappy weather and soreness.....sigh.

Anyway, back to the gym today. I go alone to conquer.

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BBQ!!! That sounds so good. I'm missing home right now just thinking about bbq. Maybe, if I would get off my duff & cook instread of eating cafeteria food or LC frozen meals I could have some.
Maybe next week.......................

-Aimee
  #221   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 08:27

Quote:
How goes your crazy cardio?? My workouts just got kicked up a notch with lifting, but I`ve been a little lame on my cardio. I am not getting to the gym until 8:30 at night these days, which means that by the time I`m done with lifting, I`m so ready to go home and relax and eat, that I just can`t motivate myself to get on the elliptical machine. I should just get on it in the morning after TD leaves for work, but I never do......sigh. The couch and my blanket are so much more appealing.

Cardio is going well. Most of the time. I don't always do the interval training, but I do try to get in cardio twice a day for 5 days a week, even if it is for only 15 minutes. Some is better than none, right?? I think doing HIIT for awhile, which I could only do for what? 10-20 minutes, really screwed up my mind and can now only do bits of cardio here and there. I can't run for more than 25 minutes w/o getting bored. Know what I mean??

I think this program is working pretty good, my legs seem a lot leaner and I can tell my tummy is getting a little smoother looking. Better to have smooth looking fat than lumpy fat, right?

Quote:
Sorry to hear that the Houston guy is dragging ass. How annoying. Any other leads?

I'm going the call one more time about the job, if I don't hear from him, I'll assume I didn't get it. But I did find out that my old job (the one I had before I moved to Cali) is available. I talked to my old boss & sent him a resume. Even though it will be less pay than the one I just interviewed for, at least I'll feel comfortable and I'll know everyone. No new job jitters and frustrations, I can just jump in right where I left off. So, we'll see what happens. I figure if I don't get either job, I'll start looking again right after the first of the year & stay through bonuses.

have a good one!!!!!!

-aims
  #222   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 11:50
Chicken Butt

Weightlifters not pumping enough iron
Study: Beginners don't lift enough to change muscle shape
The Associated Press

It might be time for workout warriors to stack a couple more weight plates onto the pile. A recent study showed that many inexperienced weightlifters don't come close to pumping enough iron to change the shape of their muscles, or really get any benefit at all.

The study, done by exercise physiology professor Stephen Glass of Grand Valley State University in Michigan, was based in part on previous research that said people must lift no less than 60 percent of the maximum weight they can lift to increase the size of their muscles.

In a test Glass conducted involving 30 novice weightlifters, 17 men and 13 women, not a single person chose to start at the 60 percent mark.

"When it comes to strength training, people need to know what is heavy and what's not," Glass said.

Glass did a similar study a few years ago involving aerobic exercise and learned that most participants were able to find a starting point at which the exercise would be beneficial. It was because things like walking, riding bikes and climbing stairs are common, and most people can tell what the difference is between light, medium and heavy aerobic exercise.

“If you lift 50 percent of what you can, that may feel moderately difficult. But people don't realize it's not near the weight you need to lift to induce gains.”

— Stephen Glass
Physiology professor, Grande Valley State University

Lifting weights is not the same thing. Most people don't do that during a normal day, so when they hit the weight room, they have no idea what to expect.

"If you lift 50 percent of what you can, that may feel moderately difficult," Glass said. "But people don't realize it's not near the weight you need to lift to induce gains."

In the study, Glass asked the participants to simply choose a good starting point and work out however they wanted. A little after the starting point had been chosen, the participants were asked to lift as much weight as they possibly could to determine their maximum.

Novice weightlifters need to max out
By crunching those numbers, Glass found that nobody picked the 60 percent number that has been cited as the point at which lifting weights starts to work.

Likewise, most novice weightlifters didn't understand that maxing out, slowly increasing the weight until they're lifting the most they possibly can, is the way to get the most benefit from the workout.

"The intent is to lift to fatigue," he said. "Fatigue means you pick up heavy weight and you lift it until you can't lift it anymore. That's not the perception most people have in their day-to-day activities."

The result, the study concluded, is that it "appears that individuals are unable to select an appropriate weight that will provide them with any benefits of weight training, and as a result, may be more likely to become discouraged and quit."

Some skeptics of Glass' research might say that novices lifting too heavy are naturally more prone to injury. Glass said studies showed most injuries among beginners come when they try to max out early during a workout.

One of the recommendations learned from the study, published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, is that beginners should ask trainers to help them figure out what they should be lifting.
  #223   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 11:51
Chicken Butt

Default LIFT MORE WEIGHTS!!!! The scientific proof....

Weightlifters not pumping enough iron
Study: Beginners don't lift enough to change muscle shape

The Associated Press

It might be time for workout warriors to stack a couple more weight plates onto the pile. A recent study showed that many inexperienced weightlifters don't come close to pumping enough iron to change the shape of their muscles, or really get any benefit at all.

The study, done by exercise physiology professor Stephen Glass of Grand Valley State University in Michigan, was based in part on previous research that said people must lift no less than 60 percent of the maximum weight they can lift to increase the size of their muscles.

In a test Glass conducted involving 30 novice weightlifters, 17 men and 13 women, not a single person chose to start at the 60 percent mark.

"When it comes to strength training, people need to know what is heavy and what's not," Glass said.

Glass did a similar study a few years ago involving aerobic exercise and learned that most participants were able to find a starting point at which the exercise would be beneficial. It was because things like walking, riding bikes and climbing stairs are common, and most people can tell what the difference is between light, medium and heavy aerobic exercise.

“If you lift 50 percent of what you can, that may feel moderately difficult. But people don't realize it's not near the weight you need to lift to induce gains.”

— Stephen Glass
Physiology professor, Grande Valley State University

Lifting weights is not the same thing. Most people don't do that during a normal day, so when they hit the weight room, they have no idea what to expect.

"If you lift 50 percent of what you can, that may feel moderately difficult," Glass said. "But people don't realize it's not near the weight you need to lift to induce gains."

In the study, Glass asked the participants to simply choose a good starting point and work out however they wanted. A little after the starting point had been chosen, the participants were asked to lift as much weight as they possibly could to determine their maximum.

Novice weightlifters need to max out
By crunching those numbers, Glass found that nobody picked the 60 percent number that has been cited as the point at which lifting weights starts to work.

Likewise, most novice weightlifters didn't understand that maxing out, slowly increasing the weight until they're lifting the most they possibly can, is the way to get the most benefit from the workout.

"The intent is to lift to fatigue," he said. "Fatigue means you pick up heavy weight and you lift it until you can't lift it anymore. That's not the perception most people have in their day-to-day activities."

The result, the study concluded, is that it "appears that individuals are unable to select an appropriate weight that will provide them with any benefits of weight training, and as a result, may be more likely to become discouraged and quit."

Some skeptics of Glass' research might say that novices lifting too heavy are naturally more prone to injury. Glass said studies showed most injuries among beginners come when they try to max out early during a workout.

One of the recommendations learned from the study, published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, is that beginners should ask trainers to help them figure out what they should be lifting.
  #224   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 08:49
Chicken Butt

Yesterday`s stuff....

Since I skipped depletion workout pt 2 on Wednesday, I thought about trying to do it last night. D told me not to b/c it would hamper me on today`s upcoming tension workout, but there was a little ambitious piece of me that considered doing the depletion anyway....

WELL, lucky for me, my laziness and drive to see the Apprentice last night forced me to cut my gym time a little short, so all I did was cardio.

I did add a couple of sprints into my elliptical routine and managed to burn 20 calories more than I usually do. I think it`s time that I seriously add in those sprints. Muscles are just far too used to the elliptical thang.

so....the exercise for yesterday was:
20 min, elliptical 180 cal. burned.
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

didn't you just love last nights apprentice....brutal !!