Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 14:00

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
Even in those of us with extra fat to burn, essential glucose will still come from muscle. As much glucose as possible will be harvested from the glycerol molecules, but that isn't enough.

Makes sense, and now I can't find what I read to come to that conclusion. Perhaps I misunderstood something I read, and it stuck with me.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Wed, May-31-06, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins but tweaking
Stats: 289/232/132 Female 170cm
BF:Unknown/45%/??
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by santabarb
Chicken is great! Any meat is on the list, though he doesn't talk about kangaroo meat . Actually, though, it would be fine. Can you walk at all? Is 30 minutes a day of walking OK for you right now?

Yes, it has been 8 weeks (accident was 24/03) and while I still have a big hard lump from the haematoma on my thigh, I am seeing the physiotherapist, the lump is getting smaller and breaking up a little, and I am back at the gym. The physio has recommended the bike as the best thing for it so I do 10 mins each on rower, bike and treadmill and some wall squats with a ball behind my back.
My other half is going away for a week today and it the ideal time for me to try something new as he won't be there to say 'would you like wine tnight, darling?', which I sometimes find hard to resist!
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 01:25

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

"...the more fat you eat, the faster you'll lose weight. Eaten fat replaces stored body fat and keeps the tissue moving and from becoming stagnant and hardened. In time, one develops and appreciation and craving for fat, provided sugar, and sweet tasting substances are eliminated from the diet. When sugar and artificial sweeteners are no longer used and the taste for sweets is lost, the body replaces this taste with a craving for fat."
How I Lost 36,000 Pounds, 1966, p.90
  #214   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-06, 13:26

BF:

Weekly Weigh In Monday, June 5, 2006
Wife:
185.5 lbs -2.7 loss since 7 days ago
45% BF
DCI 2300

Husband:
214.6 lbs -.8 loss since 7 days ago [Note June 6: He showed 213.6 lbs this am]
45% BF
DCI 3200

Perhaps husband needs to increase starches a bit so body is at peace and not worried about letting go. I introduced a sweet potato (just 3 oz) two or three days ago and then a potato on Sunday, yesterday. The result for me was weight loss. Previous to that (the prior 12 days) I had stuck pretty much to low-carb, non-starch fruits.

Today's Menu:

B: Wife: Turkey breast pan fried in o/o; half a ripe Comice pear (utterly divine)
B: Husband: None

L: Wife: Turkey Breast, pan fried in o/o; mayonnaise (s/f); raspberries
L: Husband: Turkey Breast, pan fried in o/o; red grapes

D: Both: Salmon cooked in o/o, butter on top; 3 oz microwaved white potato

Last edited by santabarb : Tue, Jun-06-06 at 07:14.
  #215   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-06, 16:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You're doing great, Barb!!! I'm starting to feel a little better -- the supplements seem to be kicking in finally.

I'm being more carnivorous for the time being, but haven't given up on anything yet. I'm still intrigued by the Anchell/Pennington thing. Just not sure.
  #216   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 14:15

BF:

Thanks, Bawdy,
There's rigor here, but joy too. Joy, in my book=yummy food and pounds vanishing. Whatever, we'll never be ones to have chocolate cream pie every meal, whatever program we're following or not following, and that's OK!
We're doing fine with our current regimes. It all seems to boil down pretty much to meat in any case, and some extras alongside.
  #217   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 14:27

BF:

B: Me: nothing
B: Husband: 3 chicken breast strips cooked in butter; grapefruit

L: Me: Pot roast chuck, slow cooked; 1/2 red grapefruit
L: Husband: Pot roast chuck; 1/2 braised in butter Comice pear

D: Flanken steak; red grapes
D: Flanken steak; red grapes

I make gallons of iced tea every day--often add lemon. English breakfast tea is particularly nice. Must buy 'sun tea container' (where you set the tea bags and unboiled water out in a very large glass jar in the sun, for the sun to steep). Not sure of why Americans swear by them, but will give it a try.

Found an interesting website on someone's post publishing 1904 methods of cooking: broiling, braising, blanching, stewing, larding, rendering. Even how to make hot chocolate (for some special day--maybe my birthday), which involves scalding the milk to get it just right. It's called www.oldandsold.com.

Last edited by santabarb : Tue, Jun-06-06 at 14:36.
  #218   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 14:13

BF:

Female 5'4"
Plan: Pennington/Anchell
Stats: 198/185.5/150
BF:
Progress: 26%
I was going to wait until Thursday, June 15 to make a final announcement of a month's loss. But as part of my weekly weigh in, today being Monday, weigh day, I'll report the truth thus far. (And actually, since I'll have guests who are early risers on June 15, I will not commit to posting on that actual day. Only if it does not interrupt the hosting flow of things. But I will sneak in the monthly posting when I can).

30 minute pre-breakfast walk in drizzle amounting to rain.

Weekly Weigh In: Monday, June 12, 2006

Me: 185.2 lbs A mere -.3 since last Monday.
But a -1.4 loss since 9 days ago, Sat. June 3

Husband:
214.2 lbs
A mere -.4 loss since last Monday

I'd say we are both plateauing to some extent--not totally, but slowing.

For the sake of simplicity I will say that I began on Monday, May 15, 2006. So top number reflects that date. Bottom number June 12, 2006.
Wife
_________
-6 .8 lbs in 4 Mondays

Husband
_______
-9.8 lbs in 4 Mondays

So we have a weight loss. Mine, as usual, often slowed by metabolic resistance, but doing better here than on previous Atkins-based lowcarb. Anchell says in Steak Lovers' Diet that about 8 lbs a month is average.

Last edited by santabarb : Mon, Jun-12-06 at 14:25.
  #219   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 14:38

BF:

As I was about to take my Equate multivitamin, a WalMart bargain, I noticed that maltodextrin, a sugar, is one of its ingredients. I must search for a sugar free multivitamin.
  #220   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 02:52

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%
Default Hello all--

I have a question regarding the Anchell plan, for those of you who are following it...or who have read the book.

What does he actually say about fat ratio? I think I read somewhere on this thread that he suggests 75% fat? But I can't find it again, so maybe I imagined it?? I have a hard time getting my fat up that high--even with fatty meat and added butter--I seem to float around 60% is this too low, does he say? I ordered the book, but it will take a few weeks to get here, and to be honest, I think you guys (and girls) will be a better resource.
Also--I know that he says spices and herbs are OK, but where does horseradish fit in? It is actually a root...Or wasabi if I have sushi? Does anyone know if these are considered OK? I don't want to bend the rules, and if necessary I can live without horseradish or wasabi, or even sushi (god forbid!) I am determined to give this a good try, and don't want to eat outside "the rules" at least for the first month or so and see how it goes. I have been following it for two days, and have lost about 3 pounds. A bit odd, considering I have low-carbed for a long time, I wouldn't think I would drop pounds right away. The good thing about it is that I don't seem to crave things as much which lately has been my undoing. Plus--I do well when only given limited options to choose from. If I know I can only eat 10 different fruits or vegetables, then I can be creative with them. If I extend that to 30 or more, I get caught up in indecision...sadly. Too many choices I guess. I WAY overthink things!
  #221   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 03:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 508.7/413.3/199 Female 5'10" (top weight 508???)
BF:223chol; 120/80bp
Progress: 31%
Default Googling for info...on Anchell lean-to-fat ratio...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...08&page=9&pp=15 is one of the sites that came up when I googled "Anchell fat ratio" t find out what I might. Saw a reference to lean-to-fat ratio being three-to-one, then started reading and found an article that maybe you have not read, from 1950 in Holiday Magazine. Includes this:
Quote:
Doctor Pennington’s approach to his special assignment was as conservative as the results of the Du Pont diet program proved, ultimately, to be dramatic. He reviewed the medical literature, drew such conclusions as seemed to him justified and recommended to Doctor Gehrmann a pilot program of weight reduction to be undertaken with twenty overweight Du Pont men and women. In midsummer of last year, a paper with the title “Obesity in Industry, the Problem and its Solution” appeared over Doctor Pennington’s name in Industrial Medicine (June, 1949, pages 259 and 260). In it, the results of the pilot program at Du Pont were revealed.
There's lots more, in case you care to read it. Amazing. Ah, here's the ratio part:
Quote:
The first course of each meal is: One-half pound or more of fresh meat with the fat. You can eat as much as you want. The proper proportion is three parts lean to one part fat. Most of the meat you buy is not fat enough, so it is best to get extra beef-kidney fat and fry it to make up the proper proportion. Good meats are roast beef, steak, roast lamb, lamb chops, stew meat, fresh pork roast and pork chops. Hamburger with added fat is all right if the meat is freshly ground just before it is cooked. Avoid smoked or canned meats, sausages and salted butter. Fresh fish (not smoked or canned) may be substituted upon occasion.

The second course of each meal is: An ordinary portion of any one of the following-white potatoes (boiled, baked or fried), sweet potatoes, boiled rice, grapefruit, grapes, melon, banana or pear, raspberries or blueberries. This part of the diet is strictly limited. No second helpings.

You must not: Use the least particle of salt; nor use flour or sugar.

You must: Drink six glasses of water every day before five o’clock; each day drink the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water; regulate weight completely to normal before adding other foods (otherwise you will quickly regain the weight you have lost).

You may: Have a cup of black coffee or clear tea with each meal; season the meat with black pepper before it is cooked or use paprika, celery seed, lemon, chopped parsley, celery tops or other flavoring which does not contain salt.

You should: Have your doctor check you at intervals; allow time for a thirty-minute walk before breakfast and, as far as practical considerations permit, go to bed at a regular hour and get exactly eight hours’ sleep. Metabolism goes into low gear during sleep; an extra half hour in bed definitely cuts down on weight loss, whereas the half-hour morning walk shifts metabolism into high and works up appetite for a hearty breakfast. It is not necessary to walk fast; walking the full thirty minutes regularly is what matters.

You needn’t: Count calories or stop eating while you are still hungry, or take any strenuous exercise.
Wow, thanks for asking this question. I'm glad that I found and read this article from 1950. Amazing. Sure is. -Zer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavendish
I have a question regarding the Anchell plan....What does he actually say about fat ratio? I think I read somewhere on this thread that he suggests 75% fat? But I can't find it again, so maybe I imagined it?? I have a hard time getting my fat up that high--even with fatty meat and added butter--I seem to float around 60% is this too low, does he say? I ordered the book, but it will take a few weeks to get here, and to be honest, I think you guys (and girls) will be a better resource.
Also--I know that he says spices and herbs are OK, but where does horseradish fit in? It is actually a root...Or wasabi if I have sushi? Does anyone know if these are considered OK? I don't want to bend the rules, and if necessary I can live without horseradish or wasabi, or even sushi (god forbid!) I am determined to give this a good try, and don't want to eat outside "the rules" at least for the first month or so and see how it goes. I have been following it for two days, and have lost about 3 pounds. A bit odd, considering I have low-carbed for a long time, I wouldn't think I would drop pounds right away. The good thing about it is that I don't seem to crave things as much which lately has been my undoing. Plus--I do well when only given limited options to choose from. If I know I can only eat 10 different fruits or vegetables, then I can be creative with them. If I extend that to 30 or more, I get caught up in indecision...sadly. Too many choices I guess. I WAY overthink things!
  #222   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 07:21

BF:

Congratulations, Cavendish, on your first days of trying this way of eating!!
Sorry, Cavendish, no sushi.
This is a "What is you see is what you get" type way of eating. There are no hidden possibilities.
You eat any kind of fresh meat, whether of sea or land.
You eat grapes, watermelon, blueberries, raspberries, pears, grapefruit;
starches: banana, rice, potato, yam.
Some unsalted butter, some oils, fats. You're done!

Gin, vodka or whiskey, in small amounts. Dunno, I never buy those things.
  #223   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 12:00

BF:

June 15, 2006: One Month on Pennington/Anchell Way of Eating
Summary of Weight Loss

Wife: 5.6 lbs weight loss today from starting date May 15, 2006. At 186.4 lbs this morning.

Husband: 12 lbs
(even) weight loss from starting date May 15, 2006. He is at 212 as of this morning.

Last edited by santabarb : Thu, Jun-15-06 at 15:38.
  #224   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/000/140 Female 5'9"
BF:WHAT
Progress: 411%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavendish
I can live without horseradish or wasabi, or even sushi (god forbid!)

do you mean sushi or sashimi? i guess if you can have rice with your meal it doesn't make a difference...but sashimi is just the fish, as opposed to the fish and the rice and the seaweed, etc. can't imagine sashimi would be bad?
  #225   ^
Old Fri, Jun-16-06, 01:14

Plan: Anti-Estrogenic Diet/PP
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5 ft 5 in.
BF:27.9%
Progress: 7%
Default Pennington/Anchell Sushi

Well according to the rules, I could eat certain kinds of sushi--nigiri sushi is just rice with a piece of fish on top, I could also have Chiriashi, which is sushi rice with different kinds of sashimi piled on top, and of course I could have just plain sashimi...so I don't need to feel sushi-deprived--I just need to make sure and limit my rice. Of course this would be a special treat, not something I would eat every day...And tempura and dragon rolls would be out of the question!

As for gin and whisky--nice occasionally. I have this great recipe for "Drunken chicken" which includes chicken, gin and green grapes and various other herbs and spices--very yummy and very on-plan. Perhaps we should come up with a Pennington/Anchell cookbook?
I know if I am not pretty creative, my husband will get bored...I mean I could eat grapes and chicken for dinner for weeks on end, but I think he would end up finding reasons to eat out if I fixed that for him as well...