Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 08:02
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/297.6/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph317
hmmm, as soon as i get in from the beach, i head to the shower. it's kinda necessary since i'm also covered in sand. but i hate the thought that i may be washing away my vitamin d. i wonder if there's a period of time you should wait to allow it to be absorbed.
I've heard it suggested that you should wait 15-30 minutes to let the vitamin D on the skin absorb.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 09:29

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Does Vitamin D wash away while you're swimming?
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 09:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Does Vitamin D wash away while you're swimming?
I would think so. Water is water. OTOH, maybe it requires scrubbing to detach?
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 13:37

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Rule of thumb... avoid showering or water exposure for as long as is reasonably possible post sunlight exposure to maximize D.
  #215   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 13:39

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Now, that just ruins the beach for me!

Do you think applying coconut oil to your skin before going swimming would help you retain some Vitamin D?
  #216   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-09, 13:45

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

If the vitamin d is in an oil, seems to me you'd need soap or at least rubbing to remove it!
  #217   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 08:09

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

if you spend the afternoon at the beach, taking occasional dips in the water, you must be retaining some vitamin d. i can't believe it's being washed away. and if it's true that in 15-30 minutes it's being absorbed, then the time you are soaking up the sun, you will also be absorbing the vitamin. so although you might wash away some in the water, i'd imagine you're keeping quite a bit. my drive home from the beach is about 20 minutes, so if i just wait a little longer before i shower, hopefully i'll be keeping as much as possible (i also ride home in a topless jeep!).
  #218   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 10:00
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I thought this was interesting.

I wonder if this has some relation to the effects of sunlight/sunlight deprivation?

Diurnal variation of the human adipose transcriptome and the link to metabolic disease.Loboda A, Kraft WK, Fine B, Joseph J, Nebozhyn M, Zhang C, He Y, Yang X, Wright C, Morris M, Chalikonda I, Ferguson M, Emilsson V, Leonardson A, Lamb J, Dai H, Schadt E, Greenberg HE, Lum PY.
Rosetta Inpharmatics, LLC (A wholly-owned subsidiary of Merck & Co,, Inc,), 401 Terry Ave N,, Seattle, WA 98109, USA. pek_lum~merck.com.

ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Circadian (diurnal) rhythm is an integral part of the physiology of the body; specifically, sleep, feeding behavior and metabolism are tightly linked to the light-dark cycle dictated by earth's rotation. METHODS: The present study examines the effect of diurnal rhythm on gene expression in the subcutaneous adipose tissue of overweight to mildly obese, healthy individuals. In this well-controlled clinical study, adipose biopsies were taken in the morning, afternoon and evening from individuals in three study arms: treatment with the weight loss drug sibutramine/fasted, placebo/fed and placebo/fasted. RESULTS: The results indicated that diurnal rhythm was the most significant driver of gene expression variation in the human adipose tissue, with at least 25% of the genes having had significant changes in their expression levels during the course of the day. The mRNA expression levels of core clock genes at a specific time of day were consistent across multiple subjects on different days in all three arms, indicating robust diurnal regulation irrespective of potential confounding factors. The genes essential for energy metabolism and tissue physiology were part of the diurnal signature. We hypothesize that the diurnal transition of the expression of energy metabolism genes reflects the shift in the adipose tissue from an energy-expending state in the morning to an energy-storing state in the evening. Consistent with this hypothesis, the diurnal transition was delayed by fasting and treatment with sibutramine. Finally, an in silico comparison of the diurnal signature with data from the publicly-available Connectivity Map demonstrated a significant association with transcripts that were repressed by mTOR inhibitors, suggesting a possible link between mTOR signaling, diurnal gene expression and metabolic regulation. CONCLUSION: Diurnal rhythm plays an important role in the physiology and regulation of energy metabolism in the adipose tissue and should be considered in the selection of novel targets for the treatment of obesity and other metabolic disorders.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...Pubmed_RVDocSum

I wonder if sun light on one's stomach would affect belly fat?
  #219   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
I thought this was interesting.

I wonder if this has some relation to the effects of sunlight/sunlight deprivation?

Diurnal variation of the human adipose transcriptome and the link to metabolic disease
It has huge implications on metabolic research particularly if you look at other research in Diurnal rhythm
Such as Diurnal rhythm of active calcium transport in rat intestine
THE RHYTHM OF DIGESTION: KEEPING TIME IN THE GASTRO-INTESTINAL TRACT.
Racial Differences in the Human Endogenous Circadian Period

I've grumbled before that when you look at metabolic research you don't see them starting with a level Vitamin D3 playing field. They don't make any effort to ensure that everyone on the trial has equivalent 25(OH)d status even though we know that influences lots of factors.

Now they really are going to have to think about ensuring the time of each experiment is equivalent. So if you consume xg of carbohydrate/fat/protein at
the point where the body's diurnal rhythm is in storing mode it will have a different impact on the same xg of exactly the same food when the body is in spending mode. I haven't noticed in the full text of any paper so far that the time of day of the experiment was conducted. (it's as rare to see season mentioned in Vitamin D research as if anyone didn't know Vit d varied seasonally. let alone any mention of latitude)

Makes you wonder about the validity of much rat research on metabolism given rats are nocturnal and most humans aren't.

I've always do my blood pressure at the same time of day as I assumed that varied according to circadian rhythm but I wonder if other things also vary like inflammatory status. It's funny how you take these things for granted without ever questioning why. I'd not thought about shift work and metabolic syndrome before but I now see others have thought of this and found out it does have an adverse impact
I wonder what effect street lighting at night has on metabolic rhythm.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Fri, Jul-10-09 at 14:42.
  #220   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 12:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I wonder what effect street lighting at night has on metabolic rhythm.
It does have an effect. Have you ever read Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com

This fascinating, thought-provoking study discusses the central role of sleep in our lives. After probing the scientific literature, Wiley and Formby, researchers at the Sansum Medical Research Institute, conclude that "the disastrous slide in the health of the American people corresponds to the increase in light-generating night activities and the carbohydrate consumption that follows." Our internal clocks are governed by seasonal variations in light and dark; extending daylight artificially leads to a craving for sugar, especially concentrated, refined carbohydrates that, in turn, cause obesity. More seriously, lack of sleep inhibits the production of prolactin and melatonin--deranging our immune systems and causing depression, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. The authors prescribe sleeping at least nine and a half hours in total darkness in the fall and winter and switching to a diet low in carbohydrates and high in protein, vegetables, and healthy fats. They support their arguments with 100 pages of notes and by tracing the progression of disease from hunter-gatherers to our high-tech society. Despite its somewhat strident, all-knowing tone, this illuminating work is highly recommended for academic and public libraries.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-Sl...47249602&sr=8-1

There's also a very good thread about it here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=196014

Last edited by Demi : Fri, Jul-10-09 at 12:16.
  #221   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-09, 14:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
It does have an effect. Have you ever read Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival by T.S. Wiley?
No but I've been suggesting try to improve sleep hygiene and just recently, because of the heat I've started using an eye mask so we can have the windows/curtains open but my eyes are tricked into thinking the room is darker than it is in fact. I do think it helps get a better quality sleep.

Quote:
There's also a very good thread about it here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=196014

Thanks there is so much going on here it's very easy to miss the goodies.
  #222   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-09, 03:36

BF:

From The Sunday Times
July 12, 2009

Quote:
Sun warnings ‘overstated’ as science finds new clue to skin cancer

Sarah-Kate Templeton, Health Editor

Sunshine is not the main cause of the most dangerous form of skin cancer, according to researchers, who say some warnings about the perils of sunbathing are scaring people unnecessarily.

Scientists, whose research appears in the current issue of the journal Nature Genetics, claim the number of moles on your skin is the most important factor in the risk of getting melanoma. This reignites the debate over whether official health warnings about avoiding the sun are overstated.

The authors of the research paper maintain sunshine causes only a small proportion of melanoma cases. They believe health warnings would be more useful if they focused on people who have more than 100 moles, and taught them to check regularly the moles for changes in shape, size or colour.

Melanoma can be treated – for instance by the early removal of a suspicious mole – but it is the most serious type of skin cancer, as it can spread to other organs in the body. The cancer can start in an existing mole or on normal-looking skin, and can occur in people who have no moles but have fair skin and freckles.

Melanoma is relatively rare, accounting for 10% of all skin cancer cases, but it is responsible for most skin-cancer deaths. About 1,500 people die every year in England and Wales of malignant melanoma.

An international team of researchers from Queensland, Australia, Montreal, Canada and Philadelphia, America, led by King’s College London, identified two genes which dictate how many moles someone will have, and their risk of getting skin cancer. Tim Spector, professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London, said: “The number of moles you have is one of the strongest risk factors for melanoma – stronger than sunshine. This paper shows that we found two important genes that control the number of moles you have. Those genes also give you an extra risk of melanoma.”

Dr Veronique Bataille, a researcher at King’s College, London, and dermatologist at West Hertfordshire NHS Trust, argues that we have overemphasised the risk of sun exposure. Bataille said: “As a dermatologist working in the melanoma field for nearly 20 years, I feel quite strongly that there is always an overemphasis on sunshine. You often read that nearly all melanomas are caused by sunshine – which is not supported by the evidence. The more research we do, the more we realise that sunshine is a small part of the puzzle.

“In any population you study across the world, if you are ‘moley’ it is a very steady risk factor for melanoma, and it doesn’t make any difference whether you live in Glasgow or Sydney or LA.”

Bataille added: “Let’s keep sunshine in the picture because it does make you age and causes you wrinkles – we have never denied that. But let’s move away from scaring people by saying they are going to die because they go in the sun.”

Sara Hiom, Cancer Research UK’s director of health information, said: “This study confirms Cancer Research UK’s advice that people with lots of moles – as well as those with red hair or fair skin – are more at risk of the most dangerous form of skin cancer and should take extra care in the sun.

“The research does not in any way contradict the bulk of scientific evidence, which shows that most skin cancers are caused by overexposure to ultraviolet [UV] rays.”

She points out that malignant melanoma rates in the UK have more than quadrupled in the past 30 years – coinciding with a rise in “sun holidays” and the increased availability of artificial UV.

The scientists partly attribute the rising incidence of skin cancer to better screening picking up borderline changes in the skin that were unlikely to cause harm.

The worldwide incidence of melanoma in populations of European descent has risen rapidly over the past 30 years, more so than any other cancer. Globally, the World Health Organisation estimates 132,000 new cases of melanoma per year.

Discussing their work, the researchers even claim our “obsession” with the dangers of exposure to the sun has contributed to serious vitamin D deficiency. A shortage of sunlight – the most important source of vitamin D – can lead to an increase in deaths from other cancers, osteoporosis, depression and premature ageing.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle6690007.ece
  #223   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

Okay, I know I'm looking for the easy way here - but I need recommendation of specifically what kind of Vit. D to order. Also calcium, magnesium, potassium and anything else I should have. And I know someone has posted a discount code for iHerb. I'd really appreciate having that again. I HAVE to get some stuff ordered & usually it seems I already have things (usually the wrong kind) on hand when I see these posts. So this time, I'm asking before ordering.
Thanks so much.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 08:56

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Shame on you, Cats!

Vitamin D3 from Bio-tech

I personally take Country Life's Total Mins as my primary mineral supplement (it has phosphorus & calcium as hydroxyapatite, and some silica, among many other minerals), although I also take additional magnesium glycinate. My only complaint is that it is in tablet form, so I have to break it down into little pieces before swallowing to ensure proper breakdown and availability.. Would love for it to be in capsule form (making personal note to e-mail the company).
  #225   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-09, 09:09

BF:

I have been buying these Vitamin D softgels from iHerb, but am thinking of switching to these, which are recommended by The Vitamin D Council on their website.