Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thanks for the tip Debi. Appears as though your loser theme befits you, way to go with the to-date weight loss!
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 16:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 250/225/165 Female 57
BF:
Progress: 29%

thank you .. you have done great too.
  #198   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 19:34

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi CT, I had to adjust my stats up 4 lbs this am. I hear alot of people doing the pilates and Im still not sure what that is. I roller bladed today and will be riding my bike tomorrow. My DD got a new bike for Christmas so Ill be able to ride mine more often.
  #199   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 07:43

BF:

did anyone read the womens world article about carb stoppers.. it is a must read
  #200   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 08:34

BF:

Nice to see you back for a visit Renee. Sounds as though you have had a great holiday season so far! I guess you would say I was lucky, my weight did not change and I am still on vacation. The down side is because I have been infested with some sort of flu that makes me cough, eyes water and lack energy, something I almost never catch! Normally I would have lost five pounds for the small amount I have eaten this past week but have been so inactive the weight simply locked in place.

Debi I don't get Womans World. My lovely woman may, but I don't have that article at hand. Would you be willing to give a reader's digest version of what they say about the blockers?

Thanks,

BRat
  #201   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 09:08

BF:

Debi, I couldnt pull up an article , just your picture. Brat, we did have a great Christmas, and I hope you and yours did as well. I was up 4 lbs but lost 3 overnight, go figure. New Years Eve will be filled w/lc goodies. Sausage balls, spinach dip, and the tortilla factory shells that I fry in oil to make crispy for the dip. I may try the mozzerella sticks I ran into in the kitchen section.
  #202   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 09:34

BF:

The scales are tricky, I am becoming better at guessing why. Eat Chinese= water retention, work strenuously=water retention, lots of goodies for one night=takes a week to get back to where you were
  #203   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 09:50

BF:

i did not buy the magazine but it had a diet where you eat what you want and us a carb(startch blocker).. but i am buying for my daughter in law.. so will read the whole thing tonight and get back to you.. let me see if i can find it on line..
  #204   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 15:06
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi y'all! (I'm practicing for our trip down South in a few weeks!!)

As predicted, our dinner the day after Christmas was as carb-ridden as they get. My Uncle (God, love him) made beef rolls stuffed with bread stuffing in gravy, corn, mashed potatoes, and rolls, with cherry pie & cookies for dessert.
I popped a carb blocker before sitting down and then ate just a little bit of everything except dessert...and my Aunt crabbed about me always being on a diet whenever I came over there...can't win!

Anyway, I'm only one pound away from where I was prior to the Las Vegas trip...so I feel pretty good about that And I found out today that our New Years Eve dinner will consist of steak and scallops and I'm making an artichoke and spinach dip. (Renee, the recipe is every bit as good as TGIF's, easy and soooo much cheaper!) I'll probably have too much wine, but what the heck!

BRat, all my fat hasn't turned to muscle yet...but I'm still hopin' for that miracle! Did you get the name of that porduct from your Sis yet? You mentioned that she is slim and beautiful! What a nice brother you are to pay her such a lovely compliment!! My older brother has been a string bean his entire life. He eats sweets and carbs galore, too. He just lucked out, getting the good metabolism genes...where I got all the brains and looks!!

I hope you all have a wonderful LC (and safe) New Years holiday!
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 17:04

BF:

Quote:
You mentioned that she is slim and beautiful!

That is the honest truth to the matter CT! I have not talked to her about the supplement since Christmas Eve, she said she wanted to wait a few weeks before judging it.

Glad you made out so well with your holiday, I am holding my own too. Have to jump in the shower now, heading out for dinner.

See Ya,

BRat
  #206   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 17:56

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hello,
Skimmed through a couple pages but didn't find anything about whether or not the blockers work. So, what's the verdict? Do they really work when put to the test of carb filled meals or days? Let me know which worked the best!

Thanks,
Heather
  #207   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 18:03

BF:

Heather, from my experience they did alright at helping me maintain my weight. I think I started to take advantage of overeating on carbs. I do better just following the lc diet.
Renee
  #208   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 20:49

BF:

I use a product called starch away but there is 3 other thing one called starch catcher, sierra slim and carb trim. They say that the only things we can use. You take it 20 minutes before each meal. It works great for me. It is and orange candy like thing. I have the box of 20 for the last 3 months and still have 3 left. So I don’t use it allot just when we have tacos or potatoes, something’s that is just what I want. I don’t over use it but now they say you can use it everyday and all the carbs you want. It says that when you take the pill it makes pancakes 75% less fattening. They say that domino’s is coming up with a starch blockers crust. I will tell you what you can eat if you want. There are 3 different plans
1. If you’re looking for meals that appeal to grownups and kids
2. If you’re at home most days
3. If you rely on convenience foods.
Let me know which one you want to hear about.
is there anything more you want to know then let me know
  #209   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 08:28

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Iamaloser-
Quote:
There are 3 different plans
1. If you’re looking for meals that appeal to grownups and kids
2. If you’re at home most days
3. If you rely on convenience foods.

Gosh,that's alot to think about. I guess which ever the one would be for every now and then. Like when I want a special dinner or take the kids to the movies and want popcorn. Or something that'll atleast help when I fall and binge eat. YES- please, if they have a web site or you could tell me where you buy them that would be great! Now, just so I understand, you DON'T GAIN weight after a carb filled day? Do you have to stay close to home the next day, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
Heather
  #210   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:26

BF:
Default Read the labels!

I would caution everyone to read the label on the pills claiming to block starch. I can not say that they have made a difference one way or the other for me, and I have used various brands for several months. The ingredient that is supposed to block the starch is kidney bean extract, anything else is fluff added to it. Here are the "other" ingriedents in "Starch-Away", everything Dr. Atkins cautions us about;

Sugar, Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Xylitol, Corn Starch, Glycerin, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Soy Lacithin, Carrageenan, Malic Acid, and Yellow 6 Lake