Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 10:00

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
I had Russian Salad, which seems like a pretty high fat complete meal. It's hard boiled eggs, fatty wurstels, diced carrot, potato and two tbs of peas, mayonese, and heavy cream

The poles make a salad like that: cooked diced potatoes, peas, carrots, hard boiled eggs and mayo, but without meat. It's a version of potato salad and don't know if I remember all the ingredients because I haven't made it in decades. I'll have to look it up since I'm trying to increase my carb count somewhat.

Down 5 pounds as of today. Whatever voodoo Dr. K conjured up is working for me.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 10:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow, that Russian salad looks awesome. I'm salivating right now.

I've had three days in a row of eating out. I mentioned going out with my son and DiL on Saturday. I thought I did well with my food choice, but the scale was still up a pound the next morning.

Then on Sunday my sister took me out for lunch. I had a mozzarella omelet and for the first time in I don't know when I *ate some of the home fries* that came with the omelet! I'm not a huge potato fan, but omelets and home fries just seem to go together well. Naturally they serve way too much, but I moved aside about a 1/4 cup's worth and had that, and still kept within my carb and protein limits for the day.

Scale was up a second pound though on Monday morning.

Last night a friend took me out to dinner. We went to fancy "pan-Asian fusion cuisine" restaurant where they have a nice 3-course fixed price "early bird" menu for $20 (most of their other entrees are $25 and up and don't include any apptizers or coffee, etc). For first course we had a choice between a 'asian pear and goat cheese' salad, or grilled calamari. I adore* calamari, and so nice to find it grilled, not breaded and fried. I had to have it even though I knew it would put me right near my protein limit, even before getting to the main course.

For main course there was a choice between grilled shrimp on skewers with rice, grilled salmon with spinach and rice, or some sort of big noodle dish which sounded way too carby. I like shrimp and salmon both, but ordered the salmon as I wanted the spinach as well.

It came and had some good and bad. The bad? The menu said it came with 'Asian pesto sauce'. My friend asked, "Is this just like regular pesto sauce, made with basil? What makes it asian?" Our waiter said that it had some soy in it. "Hmm," my friend remarked, "A pesto sauce with a bit of soy..." but we both decided to go for it. And I think we both expected a classic pesto sauce made with oil and basil - with a splash of soy throw in.

And what we got? No clue why the called it pesto. Nothing the least bit 'pesto-y' about it. It was just sort of a typical thick, gluey, overly sweet soy-flavored glop probably filled with sugar and cornstarch. A major bummer. But I was able to scrape most of it off without problem. Also everything seemed to be on the very low fat side, with no way to get added fat into the meal.

And the good? In addition to the spinach it came with a couple asparagus spears, and they were tasty. Neither veggie was contaminated with the icky sauce. The 'spinach' was not spinach as I know it. I think it was actually the vegetable my Chinese daughter-in-law calls 'water spinach' which she buys at the asian supermarket. But it was very good indeed.

I cut off a small portion of the salmon, probably no more than about 2 oz worth, and ate that, and also had a little rice. But plain rice with no sauce or butter on it is not too appetizing.

So even with eating out I did pretty well at hitting my fat/carb/protein numbers for the day. And this morning the scale was not up any further, though neither was it down, so I'm still up two pounds from Saturday.

Today I brought in the remainder of the salmon (107g) and a small serving of the remainder of the rice (60g) to heat up for lunch. But I put a big healthy serving of BUTTER on top of the rice.
  #198   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 11:15

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

What is a High Fat Low Protein Cheese? I was eating brie but it has a lot of protein too.
  #199   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 11:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The creamier ones have lower protein, but none are exactly protein free. Cream cheese is about as good as it gets. Havarti isn't bad.
  #200   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 11:28

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%

Anyone know how to make homemade Mascarpone cheese. I tried to find it on the forum but couldn't. Maybe Someone can post the link
  #201   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 06:47

Plan: Moderate Protein Atkins
Stats: 175/160/165 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 150%

Can you suggest a recipe for a good fatty creamy soup without starchy thickening?
  #202   ^
Old Fri, May-01-09, 07:50
Experimenter

BF:

What I did was cook broccoli in chicken broth until it got soft. Added a bunch of cream, spices (cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, something else... maybe sage) and then I used my stick blender and pureed it all. Came out nice and thick. Sour cream and cheese would be good in that too.
  #203   ^
Old Sun, May-03-09, 20:44

Plan: Pregnancy / Dr. K / SCD
Stats: 160/000/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 640%

Here's today's menu. I've been having trouble eating carbs with meals (baby is getting big, not much room in there!), so I'm having most of my allowance in the form of diluted fruit juice throughout the day. Not sure if this is recommended, but it's the only thing that seems to work right now.

Breakfast:
Mini sandwiches of liverwurst, cheese, and butter, on almond flour flatbread

Lunch:
Tuna salad (tuna in olive oil, lemon juice, mayonnaise)
Assortment of pickled vegetables

Dinner:
Steak & kidney pudding (minus the crust), with added butter, beef tallow, & beef stock
Strawberries & whipped cream
  #204   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 04:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
What I did was cook broccoli in chicken broth until it got soft. Added a bunch of cream, spices (cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, something else... maybe sage) and then I used my stick blender and pureed it all. Came out nice and thick. Sour cream and cheese would be good in that too.

Can mascarpone be added to a soup?
What other veggies can I use other than broccoli?
  #205   ^
Old Mon, May-04-09, 09:36
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ
Can mascarpone be added to a soup?
What other veggies can I use other than broccoli?

Any vegetable really. I've used squashes, yams, carrots, spinach. I tried potato but it just had too many carbs, even for Dr. K.

Hmm... I think of it being a dessert type of cheese really. I'd add Parmesan or a cheese with more zip. Asiago is really good. Sour cream is also really good in soup. I've had broccoli cheddar soup that was tasty.
  #206   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 13:32
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I gotta recommend this. I made myself a hummus omelet and it is AMAZING! I bought some really good Hummus at Trader Joe's (Mediterranean Hummus is the title, I think). I make just a plain old omelet, I water it down a bit so it is thin and spreads out in the frying pan. Then I put the hummus in the center and roll it up. FABULOUS! A few carbs in the hummus, like 5 or so for an oz.
  #207   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 14:59

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

So, speaking of marscapone cheese...the other night I melted 6 oz marscapone cheese with 4 T butter, added a dash of hot sauce and some salt and pepper. Put it over some broccoli and I have heaven on a plate!
  #208   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 15:52

Plan: moderate carb
Stats: 300/209/154 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Those combos are interesting and sound good!

I just did a breakfast stirfry that was delish. Mushrooms and fresh spinach quickly fried in butter with feta cheese added at the last minute. Yum.
  #209   ^
Old Tue, May-05-09, 16:28

Plan: HCG
Stats: 28/22/16 Female 72 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 50%

Still sick, so all I can face is beef-veggie soup.

Last edited by gadge : Tue, May-05-09 at 16:28. Reason: my terrible grammar
  #210   ^
Old Thu, May-07-09, 06:47

BF:

I want to make these !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_yDFk6oMw

But I'm not sure what he is using on the baking sheet and what I could use instead. Any idea?