Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1951   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 14:42

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom10
...in Why We Get Fat gary taubes says the optimal human diet= 75% fat, 25% protein. but he says his diet consists of eggs, butter, steak, chicken, and cheese? where's the fat gary??! bless his soul and he has certainly done masterful work and shown courage, but he ain't following his own advice!!...

Um, you're kidding, right? The fat is in the egg yolks, the fat on the steak and whatever fat you use to cook it in, the chicken skin and dark meat, the cheese, and of course the butter. Go to MyPlan or fitday and data entry these foods and you'll see.

Also, if you use Dr. K's ON ratios of 1:3:0.8, that's going to give you ~79% fat. If you use Dr. K's HO ratios of 1:1.5:0.3, that's going to give you ~72% fat. So GT and Atkins fall right in the middle. Atkins characterized his plan as "high fat, not high protein".

If you want to avoid carbs compated to Induction, the OD is not the plan to do so, as carbs are generally higher than on Atkins Induction (Dr. K's strictest ratio puts carbs right at about 20 net, same as Induction). However, what's interesting about the OD is that with higher carbs, taken from the sources Dr. K mentions, people often have better control over their blood glucose than with higher protein and lower carbs. That does not, however, necessarily mean the "higher protein" is converting to carbohydrate.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
  #1952   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 14:59

Plan: Kwasniewski
Stats: 120/132/115 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -240%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZigeuner
Um, you're kidding, right? The fat is in the egg yolks, the fat on the steak and whatever fat you use to cook it in, the chicken skin and dark meat, the cheese, and of course the butter. Go to MyPlan or fitday and data entry these foods and you'll see.

Also, if you use Dr. K's ON ratios of 1:3:0.8, that's going to give you ~79% fat. If you use Dr. K's HO ratios of 1:1.5:0.3, that's going to give you ~72% fat. So GT and Atkins fall right in the middle. Atkins characterized his plan as "high fat, not high protein".

If you want to avoid carbs compated to Induction, the OD is not the plan to do so, as carbs are generally higher than on Atkins Induction (Dr. K's strictest ratio puts carbs right at about 20 net, same as Induction). However, what's interesting about the OD is that with higher carbs, taken from the sources Dr. K mentions, people often have better control over their blood glucose than with higher protein and lower carbs. That does not, however, necessarily mean the "higher protein" is converting to carbohydrate.

Good luck.

i duno man. i have a hard time beliving that the fat on those foods is enough to make up for 75% of the diet, and depending on how much oil and cheese being used... yeah, i duno about that man. and it seems an awful lot o protein.

protein is insulinogenic if eaten in excess. this is what i am referring to.

also, atkins can say, or as you write, characterize, his plan as high fat and low protein, but it doesn't mean it is.

good luck to you too.

Last edited by heirloom10 : Fri, Jun-17-11 at 15:07.
  #1953   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:

also, atkins can say, or as you write, characterize, his plan as high fat and low protein, but it doesn't mean it is.

good luck to you too.

I wonder if you are kidding also. My Atkins book doesn't claim to be high fat/low protein. Maybe you are reading a different book!!
But....to each his own. I just would not like for a newby to be misled.
  #1954   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:32

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

For most of the American LC WOEs, protein is protein is protein--not "high protein" and not "low protein". Atkins is not "low protein", nor is it "high protein". It is protein eaten to appetite, with the caveat that if your appetite-ostat is broken, you might need to watch it because excess protein can convert to glucose.

The Optimal Diet is definitely a "controlled protein" program. It is not a "low program" WOE. For example, for someone with my stats, the USDA recommends 46 g protein per day. Dr K. recommends 62-70 or so. Protein Power recommends at least 90.

heirloom10, I think you might want to re-read your Atkins book, because you seem confused as to what it really says. If it's not DANDR or DADR or NANY, you might want to see one of those to get a more accurate picture of what Atkins, especially induction, really is as a WOE.

DANDR = Dr. Atkins's New Diet REvolution
DADR = Dr. Atkins's Diet Revolution
NANY = New Atkins for a New You (not written by Atkins himself, but his colleagues; follows DANDR very well, but less technical).
  #1955   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 03:00

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
--how do i make my diet 75% fat, what does that look like? and kept thinking: my diet certainly can't be 75% fat, unless fat is really dense?!

Have you logged a few days worth of menus into one of the food logging programmes to see what percentages you are eating?
My PLAN on this forum (link at the top of the page) is one good one and there is a special forum here to help you negotiate it too.
  #1956   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 14:41

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Have you logged a few days worth of menus into one of the food logging programmes to see what percentages you are eating?
My PLAN on this forum (link at the top of the page) is one good one and there is a special forum here to help you negotiate it too.
I use MyPlan all the time. I find it terribly easy to get to 75% fat. Even when not making any effort to add fat to the diet it reaches 65% with no difficulty.
  #1957   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 10:13

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
in Why We Get Fat gary taubes says the optimal human diet= 75% fat, 25% protein. but he says his diet consists of eggs, butter, steak, chicken, and cheese? where's the fat gary??! bless his soul
I noticed that too. One has to include lots of butter and cream and fatty meat.

Quote:
ps how do you make this enchanting egg custard you speak of? dang!

Rich and creamy custard

Ingredients
4 fl oz (115 ml) of double cream
2 egg yolks
½ vanilla pod
(optional sweetener - I use fruit spread or coconut butter)
Method
Place the double cream into a saucepan with the vanilla seeds from the split vanilla pod. Heat over a medium heat until the cream is almost boiling.
Remove from the heat and set to one side.
Whisk the egg yolks in a small mixing bowl.
Pour the warm cream over the egg yolks, whilst stirring constantly.
Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat.
Return to a medium heat, add the sweetener and continue to stir until the custard has thickened. Do not allow the custard to boil.
Serve warm.
  #1958   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 07:01

Plan: Atkins/Optimal Diet
Stats: 181/168/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

That sounds delish!
  #1959   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Paleo
Stats: 200/147/135 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Could someone help me figure out my ratios for this? I'm 5'-7.5" tall, female.

Thank you!
  #1960   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 10:01

BF:

Well let's see - 5' 7.5" is 171 centimeters, rounded down. (inches * 2.54 centimeters per inch)

171 centimeters - 100 = 71. That is your "reference number," so

71 grams of protein per day.

carbs = .5 to .8 times protein
71 * (.5 to .8) = 35 to 56 grams of carbs per day (again rounding down)

for fat loss, fat = 1.5 to 2 times protein
71 * (1.5 to 2) = 106 to 142 grams fat

So,
71 grams protein,
35 to 56 grams carb,
106 to 142 grams fat
  #1961   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 10:27
Registered Member

BF:

Seejay - Thank you! Do the numbers change month to month, or do they stay there?
  #1962   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 10:45

BF:

For me they change according to what's going on in my life. Activity, sleep, time of year even.

In the books he talks about after you have lost the extra weight, you add more fat to maintain. Weird idea huh!

The protein pretty much stays the same. What I play with is the carbs and fat. I don't like going below 50 on the carbs and I'm 5'2". So that leaves fat to play with, mostly trying to balance being not hungry with eating enough to wipe out my fat loss (waah!)
  #1963   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-11, 11:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you! I have tried to figure this out in the past but was confused. Thank you again.
  #1964   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 06:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress:

Lisa (awriter) has devised a new modified version of OD for faster weight loss. It's up to 800 cals of 50g fat/ 25g carbs/ and she's holding the protein ratio hostage, but I and a few others are doing it on our own by following what her participants are doing, with a little less than our OD protein ratio and it works beautifully. Never to exceed on the protein or carbs, but fats are a little more flexible.

For instance, I'm 5'4" and try to keep my protein under 65, but think 60g would be even better.

http://sugarfreegoodies.wordpress.com/
  #1965   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-11, 06:28
Registered Member

BF:

I would not do a very low calorie diet for fear I would hurt my metabolism.
Closed Thread