Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#166   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
I swing from being constipated from eating too much protein to diarreah from having too many carbs. What a sh***y way to exist. I am trying to find a happy medium.

How long on no carb do you give it? I found it took my body a few weeks to be able to be regulated on no carbs. I go daily now with no problems where w/ carbs I would have gas, belly pains......

I do take 3 magnesium tablets a day so that may be an option if you are not already taking it.

Last edited by MissSherry : Wed, Apr-12-06 at 19:08.
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalPool
I for one was constantly sick my whole life before I cut them out (except for occasional butter and tiny bit of cream in my coffee).
Hi, TidalPool,

Was wondering... have you tried eating more dairy fat, once you are eating only animal food and your carbs are down to near zero? I use to think dairy caused me problems... but, I think it may have just been excess insulin that was causing inflammation (which it will). The only thing dairy may be causing me now is slow weight loss. Don't understand why that would be. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
  #168   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivanderthin
Stats: 296/283.5/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I've been reading the Carnivore thread in the War Zone with interest and now have gone through this one. I'm one of those rare women who doesn't like vegetables. There are some vegetables that I like (starchy: danger, Will Robinson!!!), some I like only if well cooked, and many that are too bitter or otherwise unpleasant tasting to me.

Took the test, and I'm a Supertaster. So this is all making sense to me now: why I don't care for vegetables, coffee, grapefruit, dill pickles, mustard, dark chocolate, etc.

After reading these threads and considering my normal food choice tendencies, I realized that I usually only buy vegetables because it has been so long since I've eaten one, so I'm doing it out of some vague sense of guilt or duty and NOT because I really want or crave them. I often don't buy fruit, not because I don't like it but because I am so often disappointed in the taste or lack thereof, the texture and/or the quality (Supertaster!!!). I love meat, pork, cheese, cream and poultry. I cannot tolerate the smell, taste or texture of any kind of fish or seafood (Supertaster!!!).

I feel great when I eat a diet high in animal fat and protein and low in carbohydrates. I am less hungry, experience fewer carb cravings, and now that I've added coconut oil, my cravings have all but disappeared. It seems that this way of eating agrees with my particular metabolism.

This was very enlightening for me to discover: that I could and should follow how my body feels and not worry about "having" to eat things that I don't particularly care for, particularly when I'm in the weight loss phase.

Last edited by Fikirimi : Wed, Apr-12-06 at 17:11.
  #169   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 18:43

Plan: Anchell
Stats: 176/150/140 Female 64
BF:size 4 jeans
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Hi, TidalPool,

Was wondering... have you tried eating more dairy fat, once you are eating only animal food and your carbs are down to near zero? I use to think dairy caused me problems... but, I think it may have just been excess insulin that was causing inflammation (which it will). The only thing dairy may be causing me now is slow weight loss. Don't understand why that would be. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Hi Dean,

No, I haven't tried that. I might give it a try but want to "adapt" for awhile longer. And i'll of course report back my findings. That is interesting.

What is weird is that cheddar cheese causes me the most sinus and lung congestion, and cream cheese not as bad. I actually had an email conversation with Barry Groves (he and his wife Monica live in England, of the "eat fat get thin" book. They have been eating a lowcarb diet for over 43 years I believe) awhile back. He thought it was the rennet in cheese that caused my reaction.

I check Crystal Farm's website (the brand of cheddar I was eating at the time) and sure enough they had rennet. I guess only the vegetarian rennet is what causes problems for people, and not the non-vegetarian kind (whatever that is made of)

If I remember correctly, he told me he had similar problems that I had, and cut out dairy for 3 months. He then went back without the problems. I'm just kind of chicken now, and don't miss cheese much anyway.

I do know that Barry eats a wedge of President's Brie every night. I think he said it doesn't have the vegetarian rennet. And his wife eats the spreadable plain cream cheese, which doesn't have it either.

Sorry for the long answer, just passing along what i've heard.
  #170   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 18:58
Registered Member

Fikirimi,

Nice to meet you!

I hear what you are saying about veggies. I had the same thing going on... would never buy or eat, but always felt "guilty". Often, when I did buy (so I would be "healthy" ), the stuff would simply rot. I wasted SO much money on vegetation that got thrown out! Commercial fruit IS often tasteless... and the organic stuff is TOO sweet (and will set up carb cravings in a hurry). I too love eating lots of animal fat. I use to be super fat phobic. I can't believe that now!

Welcome to the support thread! Glad you found us. Hope you keep posting here.

TidalPool,

If you eat only animal flesh and fat (and eggs?) for about a month, you will be doing the ultimate "elimination diet", and then can slowly try out different things, like cream or butter or cheese to see how it affects you. Just keep carbs out of the picture, since I am convinced they mask all sorts of issues, and do not need to be in anyone's diet. JMHO.
  #171   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 19:38

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidalPool
Hi Unity! Sorry to hear you're so miserable. I used to get a sinus and ear infection every MONTH... not fun. I have not had one since I cut out wheat and all dairy (except for 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee and very occasional butter).

Sorry if you said before, but do you eat dairy?

I hope you feel better!

for the most part no...I am lactose intolerent and don't like cheese....at the time this started I had not had any for about a month
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 355.6/323/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 16%

i am wondering if anyone who has been on this diet a while had their blood tested
how is the chol.? and all?
I have been doing Meat and eggs for 3 weeks and was just curious
sandi
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 19:54
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I've been on very low carb diet and had blood tests at points along the way. My overall Cholesterol dropped- especially tryglicerides and my ratios improved. My blood sugar stabilized and BP dropped because of the natural diuretic effect of the diet.

ALOHA!
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 20:08
Registered Member

Hi, Sandi!

I personally have had HUGE improvements in my lipid profile on this WOE! Carbs raise cholesterol... and there is no wonder why! Cholesterol (produced by the liver) is for repair of damaged tissue. Insulin does the damage. Cholesterol gets sent to do the repair. Any questions?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Wed, Apr-12-06 at 21:22.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 21:16
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
yes,thank you...I can read but cannot hear..boys went out side and I didn't even hear them...can't laydown or sleep and have been crying allday...my doc was suprised to see me in so pain as I did not even take meds to give birth...it will be 3 days till the pain goes away.......I guess it is the worst she has seen in a while....Unity

Sleeping with my ear on a heating pad helps me. I even get nauseus and lose balance from them sometimes.

I really do feel for you

Rob get's em too. They just suck.

ALOHA!
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:10
Registered Member

Well, Bear said he is not interested in joining any other thread. So, he won't be dropping in here, nor the recipe thread. Too bad. If we want to ask him anything, we have to do it in the war zone thread. I thought he was booted from the forum, though, since his post from yesterday got removed. Never know whether he will vanish and not come back... since he has threatened that so many times.

Anyway, as I'm sure everyone has read, I have agreed to only post questions to Bear over there, and Bear has agreed to answer just the supporter's questions. I hope this works. It will be an odd mix, to say the least. But, I will respect his wishes, in order that we may have dialogue with him. He is such a wealth of information and intellectual stimulation. He is asking that all his "supporters" (those that want to learn from him) do the same.
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:24

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi all,

I really like liver. Does anyone have ideas as to what a good portion size is? Atkins advises no more than 4 oz. a day, so that's what I used. I'm not eating it often, maybe once a week or so.

~Alisa
  #178   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
Hi all,

I really like liver. Does anyone have ideas as to what a good portion size is? Atkins advises no more than 4 oz. a day, so that's what I used. I'm not eating it often, maybe once a week or so.
Hello, Alisa. How are you?

I would restrict liver to about 4-6 oz once a week (max)... or even once or twice a month. Anymore is going to give you too many carbs and vit A. Your own liver will store the vit A. for quite awhile.
  #179   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:50

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitydkn
yes,thank you...I can read but cannot hear..boys went out side and I didn't even hear them...can't laydown or sleep and have been crying allday...my doc was suprised to see me in so pain as I did not even take meds to give birth...it will be 3 days till the pain goes away.......I guess it is the worst she has seen in a while....Unity

sinus and ear infection? Just to let you know you may have an intolerance to casein! My son was constipated and constantly having ear infections..the doc told me to take him off dairy (constipation, sinus problems and ear infections can all be because of the casein). Casein is the protein found in milk. If you have an intolerance to it you should get off all dairy, including butter..they all have casein in them. Eggs are ok, there is no casein in eggs! This may NOT be YOUR problem..but it WAS my sons problem. He has been dairy free for about 3 months now and no more constipation or ear infections (both were CONSTANT before!)
  #180   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 22:58

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi Dean,

I'm doing great, thanks for asking! I just love this way of eating! I really feel different. Food no longer controls me. It's like a weight has been lifted from me. On that note, I did lose another .5 lbs. How are you doing?

I agree with you on the liver. I know vitamin A is fat soluable, but what exactly does it do? I know it's supposed to help with night vision. My vision sucks in general. Are there any foods/supplements known to help with this?

Terranova, how often do you do "mouthfuls of grass" and what kind? Just curious. Your stats are really impressive! Was all of your weight lost eating this way?
Closed Thread