Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 05:28

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/213.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

i am at a loss. maybe i missed my "golden opportunity". i have only lost 3lbs the whole month of May. i am waiting for some books to come in at the library and maybe that will help. maybe i just need a different plan? maybe my body doesn't want to let go with the way i am doing it.
have a great time at graduation. time just flies after that. my dd graduated last year and to me she should still be in kindergarten. lol. i bet your hair looks great.
char congrats on the 3lbs. wtg
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 11:45
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

It's quite difficult to create your own LC plan, unless you have spent quite a lot of time researching the history of LC in general. Learning about other plans would certainly be helpful to you.

Was there a specific reason that you decided not to follow one of the already written plans?

My own plan worked quite well for a while, but when I hit a long stall, I had no idea what had gone wrong or how to correct the situation. That's why I switched to the Atkins plan. It seems to be working for me now. I'm not losing by leaps and bounds, but at least I'm losing. I lost 6 pounds on Induction. I realize I may be at a plateau now, so I'm going to stay on Induction for another 4 weeks, just to see what happens.
  #168   ^
Old Thu, May-31-07, 12:06

BF:

i read the south beach book but hate cottage cheese and found it too strict, i have read atkins and did it once before that was my golden time when i retried it nothing came off. so i just sort of took both plans mixed them together and did it on my own. i dropped 11 pounds during my first two weeks than stalled and stalled till i lost the 3lbs this month with some tweaking. i have some new books coming in from the library so hoping to find one that i can follow without messing up with my own style.
  #169   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 06:14

Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

GM Pond Pals! Well, I had a blip in weight this morning. I had lost about 5 pounds this week and then all of a sudden am up 3 this morning. I felt really puffy last night though, so I'm sure it's just water, but man I hate to see those bigger numbers!

Anewlcme- I basically do the SB plan and I'm not trying to push it on anyone, by any means. I think we all have to find what works best for our own bodies. I don't find it restrictive at all and I was just wondering what you found restrictive about it. You eat from all the food groups, so you have a wide variety of foods to choose from. There are no set meal plans where you have to eat certain things, so if you don't like cottage cheese, don't eat it. I don't like beans, so I don't eat them. I don't like fish, so I don't eat that either and the list just goes on and on. I think some of us are just slow losers for whatever reason. I've been trying to find the reason for about 6 years now and havent' found it yet. I do alot of reading and try alot of different things, but so far no "magic" cure. I just keep plodding along at a snails pace, but it's gotten me to half way there over the last 6 years, so I guess that's something. Heck, the next 6 years are going to pass anyways and if I lose another 50 in that time, great! I know most people are a little less patient and want to see the results immediately, but I'm learning slowly not to let it stress me out. I'll get there.....eventually!
  #170   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 06:24

BF:

i tend to stall a lot on any type of carbs even healthy wheat and brown rice and so on so i don't lose i just sort of stay in limbo.
i went back to my original plan i was on in 04. high protien low carb. so far its working at least for now. i have dropped 3 lbs in 3 days so won't complain. i am a very slow loser too. i spent all last year gaining instead of going down. its taken me since 04 to get to where i am minus the 40 i gained back after surgery. i agree slow and steady wins the race and the time is going to pass one way or the other.
thanks for the push back over at least now i am crawling forward again.
  #171   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 09:26

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default Can't fight biology

There are so many factors in weight loss. Now that summer is just about here, our bodies will be able to lose more easily, bodies tend to hang onto our fat stores in winter.

As Char has pointed out, if muscles are torn, they need water for repair, so if you were a weekend warrior, did lots of muscle building (tearing) your body will hold onto water temporarily, and show slower weight loss, or even a gain. But- muscles will release the extra water once repair is done, so this will likely result in weight loss.

Women's weight fluctuate on a daily basis, so don't be discouraged if you are not losing steadily. As long as you are taking in less calories or expending more than your body needs, you will lose. Maybe calories don't count for twenty somethings, but they sure count for me. SIGH.
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 15:02

BF:

Quote:
There are so many factors in weight loss. Now that summer is just about here, our bodies will be able to lose more easily, bodies tend to hang onto our fat stores in winter.
It's funny you should say that. I find it notoriously hard to stick to anything during the summer, mainly because of alot of camping. There are just too many goodies and snacks around. I guess I should be being more diligent during the summer then and take advantage of that!

So how's everyone else doing these days? Any breakthroughs that you need to share?
  #173   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

No breakthough for me - haven't been near a scale as I have been too busy with family/grad stuff.

Last night I was out for dinner (for the 4th night in a row - bad girl) with my DD, her dad, her grandma, cousin and second cousin. I had my great niece (8 months) in my lap and the waitress thought she was mine. She almost fell over when I said no, actually it's my great niece, this is my DD (18) and my niece (39). Too funny!!

I have noticed I have been eating/craving more since my family was here. Comfort eating I know. Back to normal now that everyone has gone home.

Have to see how much damage I have done ;~( waaaaah

Julie
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 05:40

BF:

i had some major wooshes this week but i think it was my body getting used to the new plan. not that i will complain but it has slowed down now. i started last thursday and went from 223.8 to 217 even as of yesterday. today still the same. but i am happy any boost is a good boost.
i love summer the heat makes me not hungry and as long as there are no temptations ie ice cream i wont look for it.
hang tight julie there may be no damage at all.
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 06:51

BF:

Julie- I'm exactly like you with the wanting to eat around my family. I don't know why that is except they stress me out most of the time and family occassions aren't great for the visiting, but the food is always great! Once things are back to normal you'll be fine. How was the Grad? Was it just this last week-end? Congrats on someone thinking you're younger than you are! I've had a few people tell me I look younger since losing some weight also!

Anewlcme- Congrats on the whoosh! You must be doing something right. I wish heat made me not hungry too!
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 12:31

BF:

Amazingly enough I'm still at 141 as of this morning!

Grad was a blast. She looked regal in the cap and gown (last week). The dinner/dance is Friday. I picked up her dress last night and suspended it from the ceiling in the spare room.

WTG on the loss Anewlcme!!!

Char - I was SO READY for the family to go away come Sunday night!!! LOL... back to normal now.

Just for a fraction of a second my scale said 140 this morning so maybe I'm heading for a new low soon! Have seen anything less than 141 in 15 years! Bring it on.... or is that "off"?

All the best, Julie
  #177   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 05:21

BF:

see julie i told you. you did fantastic and i am sure your body is realizing just what you are doing for it.
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 05:38

BF:

Great news Julie! I say maintaining sometimes is a blessing when faced with some changes in schedule! So they do the Grad there in 2 weeks? Ours was Commencement one night and banquet the next! Boom, boom...over!
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 07:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewlcme
see julie i told you. you did fantastic and i am sure your body is realizing just what you are doing for it.

Thanks.... maybe I just needed to hear that

Julie
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 07:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
Great news Julie! I say maintaining sometimes is a blessing when faced with some changes in schedule! So they do the Grad there in 2 weeks? Ours was Commencement one night and banquet the next! Boom, boom...over!

I was very surprised to maintain! I was expecting some water weight at least - maybe stressing out over family burns calories?!?!?! Not that I am advocating this....

I had never heard of making grad into a week long thing!!! It's hard enough for the kids to concentrate as it is without putting lots of fun stuff in the middle of exam prep time. She's getting pretty excited now though!

One more week of classes and one exam and it's all over. (jumps for joy)

Julie