Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee
I had a planned c-section with DS because he was breeched. He is no longer directionally impaired. I really would like to do VBAC this time around. And if this one is breech too I plan to be real proactive. I have heard good things about accupuncture turning babies. I'll do anything to get a natural birth, provided it is safe all around.

I am having real trouble stomaching meat right now. Just the thought of chicken is enough to make me queasy. Any ideas? I have been eating canned salmon {Trader Joe's} but shouldnt eat too much fish. I can sometimes manage an egg. Been eating yogurt and cheese. And cooking up a pot of chili with plenty of beans and low carb veggies. Hopefully by second trimester I can again manage meat! Only 4 more weeks!!

Good for you. Have you tried a birthing class like Bradley Method or taken a VBAC class? Even prenatal yoga would be awesome for a situation like yours.

In the first trimester, my life revolved around hiding protein... I started throwing almonds, walnuts, or pecans in with whatever I could stomach (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, steel cut oats, salad, tuna salad) I also become obsessed with marinated mozzarella and string cheese. Even though I don't think it's sanctioned (although it doesn't grow listeria), I became obsessed with pepperoni. I can't tell you how many times I cut a tomato in half, rubbed it with olive oil and put either mozzarella or parmesan and a bunch of pepperoni on it and baked it in the oven.

I threw everything in the crockpot if I was going to attempt a meat dish-- for some reason the food prep was half the turn off for me. If I Threw it in the morning and ignored it the rest of the day, it didn't turn my stomach as badly!

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 21:42

BF:

I have been SO good this pregnancy, I have gained only 10 lbs and I'm almost 28 weeks pregnant. However, tonight the steak I made tasted funky so I threw it out. On the way to birthing class, I picked up a single cheeseburger (WITH bun) and an ice cream treat and I ate them. Now I have terrible heart burn and I Feel so guilty.

At least i worked out today
  #153   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 05:43

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
Even though I don't think it's sanctioned (although it doesn't grow listeria), I became obsessed with pepperoni.

hehe, "sanctioned." The issue with pepperoni isn't necessarily listeria, but rather the nitrates. Studies in women who ate 2 or more hotdogs per week (full of nitrates, obviously) had an increased risk of the babies having brain tumors. I don't think it was a huge percentage, so I wouldn't be too concerned, but I've been avoiding things like hotdogs, pepperonis, bacon, and sausage links (I've noticed the patties or plain ground sausage don't usually include nitrates in the ingredient list). Luckily, for some reason, pepperoni and bacon have NOT tasted good to me at all throughout pregnancy, so that makes it easier.
  #154   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 07:38

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Wow never heard about the nitrates issue!! Glad I'm too lazy to fix anything but eggs in the mornings!

I managed to only gain 4 lbs this month instead of my regular 10 whooot!
  #155   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 09:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Wow never heard about the nitrates issue!! Glad I'm too lazy to fix anything but eggs in the mornings!

I managed to only gain 4 lbs this month instead of my regular 10 whooot!

Hurray on the 4!

If you think cooking eggs is "lazy," then consider me the bum of the century :P Lately, It's a protein bar as I'm heading out the door. There is no cooking happening in my kitchen!
  #156   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 11:13

BF:

LOL trust me if my daughter weren't on the diet too. I'd be doing the same thing!!
  #157   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 07:24

BF:

Well, we had our home inspection on the new house on Saturday, and it went pretty well, so we are moving forward! Now I have to PACK everything!

At least I can pack up my kitchen since I haven't been cooking anyway, and I've hated doing dishes so much that we've been using paper and plastic plates, bowls, and cups for months already :P
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 13:48
Registered Member

Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I can do chicken salad! Just finished a bowl of it over greens with tomato. Loveing tomatoes a bit too much.

As much as I want to do protien bars and shakes all those ingredients throw me. Then there is the whole vitamin A thing. My prenatals contain 50% RDA and then the Atkins shake I occasionally drink has 25% RDA. I dont dare drink more then two.
  #159   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 14:27

BF:

Quote:
Then there is the whole vitamin A thing. My prenatals contain 50% RDA and then the Atkins shake I occasionally drink has 25% RDA. I dont dare drink more then two.

Be sure to check the source of the vitamin A - vit A as beta carotene is NOT dangerous.
  #160   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-12, 20:29

BF:

Had my 28 week appointment. They scheduled a follow up ultrasound to examine the cyst on my ovary. At least I will get another peek at my little guy.

I only gained 2 lbs in the last 4 weeks. Since October, I've only put on 8 lbs according to my midwife's schedule. Since I got a + test, according to my scale, I've put on 12 lbs. I hope to keep up the 1/2 lb per week gain...

I LOVE pepperoni on tomatoes, I had it once a week in the first trimester. Oops.
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 12:42

BF:

Well I have hypertension and gestational diabetes. Still kinda in shock. I"m 28 weeks.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 13:24

BF:

I have hit a brick wall. I'm 36 weeks as of yesterday, and my energy is just shot. I have a really hard time focusing on work, and I have SO MUCH else going on with the impending house purchase and move. My plan has been to work right up until I go into labor, but now I'm not so sure I can really do that. However, we can't afford for me to take any unpaid time off, and I can only go "in the hole" for 16 hours of PTO, so...I'm going to talk to my OB at my appointment tomorrow to see if there is ANY reasonable medical reason she might be able to find for me to start my short term disability a little earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Well I have hypertension and gestational diabetes. Still kinda in shock. I"m 28 weeks.

Aww, you'll be alright! Many women deal with much worse - you know how to battle the diabetes already, so you're a step ahead
  #163   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 08:21
Registered Member

Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Its beta carotene in the Atkins shake as well as my prenatal. Beta carotene is the same Vitamin A that is found in foods right? I'm so pleased. Shakes are something I can take with me just in case I get hungry.

Kaylakala. Sorry to hear that. Even if it isnt the worst thing that could happen it is still pretty nerve wracking.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 09:24

BF:

STARTED A NEW THREAD FOR MARCH - COME JOIN US THERE!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...262#post8519262

Quote:
Its beta carotene in the Atkins shake as well as my prenatal.

Then you're good to go Beta carotene isn't actually vitamin A - the body CONVERTS it to vitamin A. So, if the body doesn't need more vit A, it won't convert it, so it doesn't pose a threat. Retinol/palmitate forms of vit A are actually already vit A, which is why they are the ones that can cause issues.
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 16:23

BF:

Wow that's good to know about the A vitamin.

Thanks meandvee I'm calming down now. My blood sugar is awesome lol with vlc it can hardly be otherwise.
The meds they're giving me for blood pressure aren't working very well though.
Seems that when my bp is high my sugar is low. Very interesting.