Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:36

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Yo, Levi

I don't know if you're going to see this post, Levi, and as above, I haven't read all of the posts but I have one burning question to ask you. Have you ever looked at people around you? Unless you live in the middle of some wierd genetic experiment I hate to break it to you but of course there are obese people living in Europe! You can go anywhere on this planet and easily lay your hands on McDonalds, Coke, and french fries. Obesity is no longer soley a North American problem. These "foods" stem from North American society but as the rest of the world is grasping eagerly for these nutritional atrocities many of us here are learning (the hard way) that the road to perdition is paved with Big Macs! Your arrogance is supersceded only by your insensitivity. Would you go up to someone in a wheelchair and ask, "Hey, dude, how come your legs are all shrivelled and weak. You should be astride the world like a Collosus just like me. Why are you in that wheelchair anyway? It's awfully unattractive." There are more reasons for the various physical states of humanity than there are human beings. You might want to open your eyes and take a good look around you...then again, I guess you wouldn't. I wish you luck...on second thought, no I don't. I wish you empathy. Not sympathy. Empathy. Hope1
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Male 69"
BF:???
Progress:
Lightbulb

Oops, I think I stepped into a firestorm.

< slowly walks backwards, on tip toes, to exit the room >
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 14:39

Plan: low carb - PP and my own
Stats: 222/209/162 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default why are Americans so obese?

OK, Levi,
You seem to have opened a can of worms...you have scratched an itch that just won't stop itching...opened Pandora's box, as it were. Enough metaphors?

I'm half German, and my son loves Germany...he lived in Berlin for 6 months last year and just had such a great time. He seemed to feel that Europeans and Orientals had less obesity in their populations...He is currently visiting Korea, and has spent months in Japan as well. He is planning to go to London to record the rock group, Longview -- and he travels all over. My other son has spent months in Scandinavia, and is heading back to Finland next month. I don't get around much, but I ask questions and listen to the answers.

What I am seeing is multi-faceted, as are the responses you have received. First of all, people feel offended not because you "notice" they are fat, but because they know they are fat and are working very diligently at improving their health and appearance. OK? It seems insulting to criticize when someone is working on it. It would make more sense to criticize (if one must) if people are unwilling to look at themselves honestly and try to do something about it.

On another note, however, as many have said, they HAVE BEEN TRYING, via low fat diets...personally, every time I cut calories, my metabolism STOPS COLD. I have gained 5 pounds every year for 15 years. That's frightening - I mean TERRIFYING. I ask myself, when will it stop? North Americans are gaining weight by the droves, and if you read the research, we have gained this weight during a period of time that we have also cut our fat consumption to an all-time, historical LOW! OK? So, we have been misled. Who misled us? The government and the doctors. Why? I don't have a clue...are they just plain stupid?

I was recently told (can't verify it) that the "food pyramid" was devised by a bunch of government lawyers. Now look at it...basically grains and fruits and vegetables, low on fats!!! Yet if you look at what is WORKING for the lovely people who are working so hard in these forums, you will see high protein, high fat, low carbs. Across the board. And we are losing weight. Not wasting away -- losing our fat. Many of us are increasing our activity to build muscle mass which, of course, fires up our stalled-out metabolisms.

The comments about poor people = cheap food? YES, decidedly. Comments about fast food? Absolutely, they're poison. How about if we mention the beef/pork/chicken industries feeding our animals with chemicals and hormones which make humans retain water and gain weight? No one has mentioned that Americans lead very complex, busy lives. I am on summer vacation (teacher), and you wouldn't believe how busy I am...I have tenants to manage, classes to take, insurance to deal with, a husband with surgery to tend to, relatives to assist, yard work, household work, the mail to answer, the pool to clean, filing to do, materials to find for next year...the list is endless...oh, yes, the dentist last week and the optomitrist this week. And the retirement seminar out of town. We've gotta pick up our boat next week, and have a cruise scheduled after that...on and on...THE POINT? Sometimes we get so overwhelmed with must-do stuff, we just grab food on the run (hence the need for fast-food joints). It takes time to plan low-carb meals, shop for them, read the recipes, cook the food...add to it the time our forum folks spend online "keeping the faith" and motivating each other...I mean, Americans are busy...it's easy for many people to give in to the junk food.

You may argue that all this busy stuff is meaningless...much of life is. But there is much to take care of.

then, too, are those of us who got hooked on carbs...I mean, hooked. I don't even LIKE meat. If left to me, the menu is pasta. If potatoes are served, I can eat 3 helpings. If a bag of Cheetos are opened, they are half-gone in half an hour. But like folks in here have said, I'm always left "hungry" -- in fact, painfully hungry, stomach growling, faint, cranky, headachey...after carb ingestion. I am happy my friend told me about insulin resistance...I have a feeling I was well on my way (weigh) to diabetes, if I hadn't found low carbing.

What have I left out? Anger/frustration/fear as a result of being mentally, physically, or sexually abused. Yeah, that's real. Lots of different psychological stuff enters in, but I don't think that's what's "causing" most Americans to get large. I think the most harm has been done by the rich telling the poor to go on a fat-free diet. Because, bottom line, most of our obesity has resulted during the last 20 years when fat-free was in...

So, now, you got it, Levi?

We all know what our personal demons are. We don't need someone to point out that we have them. Just let us do our work, encourage us, and don't feel picked on because we're (a bit, somewhat, or incredibly) ashamed of ourselves and so take what you say personally. You see, we have, some of us, bought in to the idea, like you may have, that somehow we are "bad" little girls and boys. But we're really OK. As a fellow German, I realize we can come across as awfully judgmental. I think we need to focus on the positive.

By the way, if that's your picture (avatar), good for you. I guess you won't be needing our forums any more, eh?

Auf wiedersehn,
Kathie
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 20:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 370/212?/160
BF:
Progress: 67%
Thumbs up

HOPE WELL SPOKEN.
  #155   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 07:39

Plan: self-created low carb
Stats: 340/307/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Thanks, Blonde1

Thanks a lot, Blonde. All applause gratefully accepted but how about throwing money . I'm constantly amazed by the sheer number of twits inhabiting the world. Hope1
  #156   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 09:57

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

I dunno about congratulations on that real or imagined avatar...perhaps we could start a thread named "How did you become SO self-absorbed?" I realize that sounds harsh but it gave me pause when I first saw this thread. We are no longer inner beings, but outer ones: what we drive, what we wear, how much $$ we make, where we work, went to college (*if* we went to college/grad school, # of degrees), etc. And most importantly -- how we look. It's not just Levi...we all buy into it to a greater or lesser extent. I pray though, that I never reach the other side of *that* "self esteem" coin.

I've heard it described as trying to fill a "God-shaped" hole in our lives...or spirit or whatever. That's what I think people are trying to do with food, sex, money, image, things. That's what I was missing.

So, is a pretty picture what I want to become now? I know from past experience it takes hours and hours in a gym to achieve and maintain that. Will I be a better person for it? In my younger days my answer was different. I saw myself as sexier, more desirable, and somehow more worthy...even "better than". Today, I have too many other things I enjoy doing than spending 2 hours a day, 6 days a week training with other body-obsessed people.

I will lose this weight and be healthier and feel better, maybe even live longer (if I don't get hit by a bus). I was trying to be something I thought I "should" be back then. I am all of that and more today...just fatter than I'd like. And that fat is coming off. But I wouldn't trade the other stuff for all the washboard abs in the world.

badgoat
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 06:31

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 216/208.8/150 Female 65 inches
BF:mini goal 206
Progress: 11%

Well, Levi, Thats A Good Question, And I Guess The Answer Is That I Was Just Young & Stupid. Obesity Runs In The Family & I Always Was And Still Am The Thinnest In The Family. I Guess Thats Something To Be A Little Proud Of - After All I've Already Beaten The Odds. But Your Question Is One That Needs To Be Asked, Because Americans Have Come To Believe That It's Okay To Be Overweight(real Women Have Curves) When In Fact It Is Not. One Of The Major Problems In America Is The All You Can Eat Buffet, What Is More Encouraging Than That? But I Think My Main Problem Started When I Met My Husband. Now I'm Not Trying To Bash Men, But I Worked Out At The Gym Everyday & I Just Dropped It After I Met Him. I Just Got Settled In I Guess. But Most Of All, America Keeps Pounding Their Peolpe To Eat Low Fat Low Calorie And All It Does Is Make You Hungrier. They Keep Telling Americans Low Carb Is Bad, But The Small Handful Of Us That Have Realized That It Is Not Are Making A Difference. If Not A Difference In The Country, At Least In The Home. NOW, I DON'T THINK IT'S MERELY A COINCIDENCE THAT OTHER COUNTRIES ARE "THINNER" THAN AMERICA. I BELIEVE THAT AMERICA HAS CLOSED IT'S EYES AND IS PRETENDING NOT TO NOTICE.

Last edited by tinaninea : Fri, Jul-18-03 at 06:36.
  #158   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 08:43

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: // Female --
BF:
Progress: 21%

I loved your post, badgoat. You speak for me as well.
  #159   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:56

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

I am not offended either-I often find myself wondering how on earth these SKINNY people stay warm! WHERE do they get their energy, and how could anyone find those bony bodies attractive and cosy to snuggle up with?!?

Having lived in Germany, I can probably offer a few suggestions, which are mostly cultural. Meals are mostly meats, and grocery stores in Germany are SMALL-you would be blown away by the grocery stores here-even the smallest ones have huge aisles filled with juices on one side, sugary cereals on the other. Two more aisles are all junk food and sodas. really.

Another cultural difference is that here, women, far more than in Europe, work away from the home. SO, these quick to prepare, often sugar based foods are the norm in most homes. We have lots latch key kids, who fill up on junk food at school and home when parents arent around, and Pizza Friday night (EVERYONE gets pizza on friday nights..its the biggest night for deliveries)

Consequently, we develop habits and food addictions and for the last 20 years they've been telling us carbs are GOOD, fats and proteins are BAD...which, of course, is wrong! Theres a lot of money in pitching a way of life that sells lots of diet products to overweight housewives, desperate to get back to prom-dress size. And the lo-fat program is IT!

People seem to have flamed you on this, and by seeing the 7 pages or so of responses, I see youve really kicked up some dust. The important thing to realize is that these people are learning and doing something about it. They are on the right track!
  #160   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 04:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

You say ..."whenever i watch something on tv about the us, say a report from new york and they just show a street and some pedestrians there are SEVERAL poor guys or girls among them who look like 50% bf+"

Most of those people are foreigners on vacation in NY.
  #161   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:10
Registered Member

Stats: 200/200/155 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

LOL RedheadFl
  #162   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:35

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Well I don't know about Adiposity 101 (prev. reply) but I sure know about A Dip Stick 101!

I am amazed that you would ask the question here. you can go anywhere on the web and find information regarding things like abuse, alcoholism/drug addiction, eating disorders/depression. The list is endless.

I will even give you an example. I will tell you why I am a lard ass.

I was always thin as a child, even after I had my first child. Then at the tender age of 23 I had 1 18 month old baby, 1 10 week old baby and my husband had just died. I was living in a foreign country and I had no one. That is not true. I befriended something called food. Now food loved me and I loved it. I had nothing else at the time. I expanded and put on alot of weight. Would everyone do that in my position, No. That's just what I did and how I coped, how I survived and managed to carry on.

People all have their own stories. Many people has anorexia but I don't see you asking them why they are so skinny

Jenny
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 09:11

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

No offense taken...I have sat in the 220's since the age of 14 or 15....I think a lot of it had to do with hormonal changes in my body at that time....My body just never processed low fat~high carb diets well even with strict exersize..Hoping to see some improvements with the atkins approach
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Levi,
I did some research on those people you see on TV in NYC. You know, the tourists. Well, low and behold I was right! Guess where the majority of them are from? You guesses it.....Germany!
I also spoke with your Mom and she told me to tell you to STOP using your brothers PIC and impersonating him.
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:44

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
You go girl!!!

Jenny