Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
I never went as low as 20g of carbs, ever, during my low-carb experiences gathered during the last 2 and a half years. The lowest I ever got down to was - once - 45g.

May I ask what sort of carbs you *did* (and/or do) eat? I have no problem, intellectually, with the idea of increasing my carbs. But I'm just not totally sure what the best food choices are to do it. I rarely eat fruit as even small amounts of fruit mess with my blood sugar. I have no issue with veggies and do like most of them. But it would take a *ton* of veggies to get my carbs up in the 50g range or so. I don't think I could physically even eat that many veggies. I have a couple cups of cooked veggies with my dinner most nights, but that never seems to take me about about 15g carbs or so, and yet I can't imagine eating more veggies than that.

I know some people talk about eating potato. But heck, I've never especially liked potatoes so can't see why I would want to add them back into my diet. I never really ate them *before* I low carbed in any meaningful degree. Possibly some sweet potato or winter squash might work? But I'm just curious to see what others choose that get their carbs a bit higher without getting too far, or without messing with their blood sugar numbers (for those who check).
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 07:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

After I'm done with my 6-week trial I'm going to try upping the carbs a tad. I'll probably make use of red bell peppers, sweet cherry tomatoes, more onions (caramelized in balsamic vinegar), maybe a little potatoes or yam and definitely squash. I think I'll aim for net 40 carbs see how that goes.

I did something recently, cooked sweet little tomatoes with red bell pepper, olive oil, garlic and some red pepper flakes. Served it with my sous vide steak and zowie! Happy mouth! Plus I have some sweet white onions and I've been using a lot of them in my cooking. I'm having a repeat today... can't wait for lunch!
  #153   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:23
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynC

Yes - that's it! Thank you

That was a fabulous post - really opened my eyes to the reality that the vegetables weren't exactly the cause of my mini-stalls.

Quote:
If one properly follows the rules of induction - that is eats most of their carb allowance from non-starchy vegetables - quite frankly, unless they have a massive appetite, even eating all carbs allowed from only non-starchy vegetables and deducting the fiber simply cannot - EVER - exceed calories to a point where a deficit is not in place, because of too many non-starchy vegetables with the fiber deducted.

To do such, a person would have to consume a high volume of food that's next to impossible for most people....for example (and I'm deducting fiber):

Let's start with protein - and say 125g a day as an average - so 500-calories. That 125g of protein is about a pound of meat (a touch more), so it's realistic in induction. It doesn't include any eggs, since eggs have carbs, ok?

Now if no carbs are coming from anywhere but non-starchy vegetables - that means no cream, no eggs, no cheese, no nuts, no mayo, no salad dressing with carbohydrate....nada, just non-starchy vegetables for carbs.

It would take, as one scenario example:

8 cups romaine lettuce [net 4.4g]
1 whole medium tomato [net 3.3g]
1 cup peeled, sliced cucumber [net 1.8g]
1 stalk celery [net 0.6g]
1/2 cup diced portabello mushrooms [net 1.5g]
1 cup cooked broccoli [net 6g]
1 cup cooked spinach [net 2.5g]

That's 20.1g net carbs - so you're contending that those 20.1g, with the 215-calories they'll provide are the problem?

With the 500-calories from protein and 215-calories from carbs (net) we're at 715-calories.....let's pretend someone used, oh, 4-TBS of butter [408 calories] on the veggies that are cooked and another 4-TBS of olive oil [477-calories] in the salad, and hey, we'll even throw in 2-TBS of vinegar too (another 0.8g carbs - so now we're over at 20.9g net)....even with that addition of fat calories (and the extra carbs and calories), we're look at a total calorie load of 1590-calories.....are the vegetables the problem?

I don't think so.

~ ReginaW, in the above linked post
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:33
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
If one properly follows the rules of induction - that is eats most of their carb allowance from non-starchy vegetables - quite frankly, unless they have a massive appetite, even eating all carbs allowed from only non-starchy vegetables and deducting the fiber simply cannot - EVER - exceed calories to a point where a deficit is not in place, because of too many non-starchy vegetables with the fiber deducted.

Yeah, but how many of us eat just plain veggies without some kind of calorific additives?
  #155   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, but how many of us eat just plain veggies without some kind of calorific additives?

And who would want to?
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:41
I've decided

Quote:

I don't do this either - there's always 'something' on my vegetables. I think Regina was using this as an example to illustrate her point. I got the message - the vegetables weren't the problem. It was all the 'other' stuff. (cream, cheese, sour cream, commercial salad dressings, nuts, possibly processed meats etc.)
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:52
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
I don't do this either - there's always 'something' on my vegetables. I think Regina was using this as an example to illustrate her point. I got the message - the vegetables weren't the problem. It was all the 'other' stuff. (cream, cheese, sour cream, commercial salad dressings, nuts, possibly processed meats etc.)

Eggsactly!!
I've recently discovered roasting my veggies....I drizzle evoo on them prior...with some spices and nothing else needs to be added to those yummy things when they come out of my convection oven.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 08:59
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Eggsactly!!
I've recently discovered roasting my veggies....I drizzle evoo on them prior...with some spices and nothing else needs to be added to those yummy things when they come out of my convection oven.

Oooh, I do this too. Crush some cloves of garlic (leave the skins on), throw in some sprigs of rosemary and it makes an amazing dish. I usually do this for special days in the winter.
  #159   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 09:04

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Valtor, This is just an aside but it occurs to me that what you're talking about could be described as one variety of "demand elasticity" and/or "supply inelasticity."

(Not that the analogy simplifies anything. You described it well in one of your last posts above.)
  #160   ^
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Oooh, I do this too. Crush some cloves of garlic (leave the skins on), throw in some sprigs of rosemary and it makes an amazing dish. I usually do this for special days in the winter.

My next dish will be all root veggies roasted....as per pink. should be amazing!!
onions, carrots, turnips, parsnips....with garlic cloves too.

Last week I roasted cauliflower with onions.....OMG!
  #161   ^
I've decided

Quote:

Yep - this is the kind of stuff I do too. Really good.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 09:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Yep - this is the kind of stuff I do too. Really good.

You guys are making me hungry with all this roasting veggie talk.
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 09:56

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Valtor, This is just an aside but it occurs to me that what you're talking about could be described as one variety of "demand elasticity" and/or "supply inelasticity."

(Not that the analogy simplifies anything. You described it well in one of your last posts above.)

Yep that's not a bad view. It's just that I like to know what happens a the metabolic level.

Taubes has in fact argued that Ein and Eout are not independent variables, but that they are biologically linked. I believe it is to a degree. But even then, this does not explain everything.

Patrick
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:04

Plan: was Atkins, now undecided
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 67 inches
BF:off the scale
Progress: 0%

Quote:

I do this on the grill when it's too hot to cook inside! Just wrap in foil.....
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-09, 13:46

Plan: My Own (CCC)/Slight IF
Stats: 282/140/130 Female 161 cm
BF:?%/27%/20%

Quote:
nd another 4-TBS of olive oil [477-calories] in the salad, and hey, we'll even throw in 2-TBS of vinegar too (another 0.8g carbs - so now we're over at 20.9g net)....even with that addition of fat calories (and the extra carbs and calories), we're look at a total calorie load of 1590-calories.....are the vegetables the problem?

No, the vegetables in themselves are not the problem, the problem is they do not come with vast amounts of oil and vinegar if not cream or mayo too Seriously though, 4 tbs of olive oil? Ummm is that edible?!?