Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 19:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 176/168/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I made the flax bread this evening and the taste - especially with butter, splenda and cinnamon is great. However, I have some questions.
First of all, I need a turntable in my microwave - get one tomorrow - but questions about this bread.
Do you use heaping tablespoons of the flaxseed flour? And is it supposed to "fall" after you take it out of the microwave?
My bread was a little smaller than my sandwich glad container - but only about 5/8" thick after I took it out.
Hard to see how this can be bread - unless I did something wrong?
Would love to hear a little more about it.
Thanks,
Deidra
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, May-28-07, 22:11

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Yep, mine fell after it came out of the microwave, too. I attributed that to the heat (which takes up space, molecules moving around and bumping into each other and when they cool, they don't move anymore and get closer together... The only thing I learned in Chemistry class, LOL) leaving the bread. But, it has more of a bread-like consistency (okay, I think it has 100% bread consistency, just thicker and fuller) so its like bread for people who REALLY miss it. I try to level the TB as much as I can when putting it into the glad container but not exact. After I cut it, it was pretty thin and I thought that I could double the recipe so it would be more like a slice of bread. Its like, a little more than half a slice or bread and fills up the container more with doubling the recipe. I eat it in the mornings with whipped cream made with Splenda or I eat it for dessert with melted butter, Splenda, and cinnamon (YUMMY!). I prefer it to the Rev Rolls because its more bread like, and I could make mini sandwiches out of them, now that I think of it.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 04:59

Stats: 176/168/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Ok - after reading all the other postings (which I should have done before I posted my 'thin' question) I think I have it figured out.
It really is tasty and will do very well as pizza crust, toast with all kinds of flavorings - can't wait to experiment.
I sprayed my bowl with non-stick spray. Do I need to? thinking with all the butter I may not need to?
Also - going to change the shape and size of the container to rectangle so I can have a bread shape piece! It's the silly things that get you, isn't it? LOL
Thank you so much - I'll mix a little up this morn before work - and think of you all on my way.
This is such a wonderful break from "no bread"!
Have a great week, everyone............ off to the scales!
Deidra
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 15:08

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

How long is this bread good for, if kept in the refrigerator?
(Or do you store it in the pantry instead?)
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 20:12

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Mine kept for 2 weeks before I finally finished it.
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

From Post #1 of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I make a microwaved bread from flax
1 ounce of melted butter
2 medium eggs
4 tablespoons of flax
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder.

Mix together and put in the microwave and nuke for 3 minutes.

About 570 cals for the whole recipe - I get 8 slices out of it
Other info - whole recipe has
Total fat 48 gms
Carbs 18gms (including 15 gms fibre) - so only 3 net carbs
Protein 20 gms

I tried this today from the very first post, to see how I'd like it.

I find that microwaved cakes/breads aren't to my liking, so I baked it in the oven in a disposable mini-loaf pan for about 15 minutes at 375. After cooling slightly on a wire rack, I sliced it into 4 slices, lengthwise. I saw some references to the bread falling after microwaving...mine did not fall, it rose fairly nicely and didn't have the wet-density (kitchen-sponge texture) of the microwave flax bread I tried before.

I will say that I am TOTALLY IMPRESSED with this as a basic recipe! Very bread-like! I was stunned at how it actually looks and has the mouth feel of bread.

I didn't like it with just butter on it, but it was just lovely with a little Wallden Farms Apple Butter and WF Orange Marmalade!

As usual, I see great possibilities for this for sweets, however, as a savory bread, it's definitely lacking "something" for me. I may try some variations for savories and see if I can come up with something that will suit me, and look through this thread, too.

I can say that now that I've tasted this, I won't be using almond meal for my cakes any more! Almonds give me rebound hunger, make me lose ketosis, and have more carbs anyway!

When I plugged this into myplan (which agreed with my package of flax meal), however, I came up with

480 calories
42g fat
10.3 - 7.3 fiber, net carbs 3g
18 protein

No biggie, I guess, the net carbs are the same. Fit day did show almost twice as many carbs for the flax seeds. I'm going to go with what was on my package of Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal...

Anyway, VERY NICE RECIPE. I'm really glad I tried it! Thanks, Elizellen.

Last edited by ElleH : Thu, Jun-14-07 at 10:53.
  #157   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 13:24

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Glad you liked it Elle!

I tend to oven-bake my flax breads and cakes nowadays and the texture is better I agree.
  #158   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 15:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

"No biggie, I guess, the net carbs are the same. Fit day did show almost twice as many carbs for the flax seeds. I'm going to go with what was on my package of Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal..."

For some reason flax mill and flax seeds are packaged with info that says 0, or close to 0 carbs. This looks like one of those things they may subtract the fiber from, and list the net carbs as the total carb amount. Fitday and USDA both list flax as having carbs if I remember.
  #159   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 19:48

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 150/155/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -20%

Oh my! This bread is so good. I love it. I'm just worried about eating the whole thing.
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:41

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 267/243/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 39%

I sliced it and cut it into chunks, fried it in a little butter with garlic salt and made croûtons for Cesar salad! YUM!!!
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 10:43

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Great idea!! I must try that next time I make caesar salad
  #162   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-07, 13:57

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

That sounds really good!!!
::runs off to immediately try this::
  #163   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 187/166/140 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
I was very skeptical about this recipe. I decided to make it last night. It was really good and did give my mouth the feel of "bread". This morning I decided to try something different with it. I added some cinnamon and a packet of Splenda to the mixture. When it was done, I cut it into two slices and drizzled some melted butter over it. It was delicious!!

I can't wait to see what other types of things I can put in it to make it taste differently.
  #164   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 17:42

Plan: sb / atkins / m&e
Stats: 250.4/214/165 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

O M G I made this bread just tonight i doubled the recipe and put it in a disposable loaf pan baked it in my oven like 30 min on 375. it came out the size fo a pound cake I was able to slice it into 14 thin slices. i tried my first slice with only butter fresh from the oven and my second soon after with salmon cream cheese and it was great. I have never eaten flax before but I must say it was so good. I am gonna freeze the rest for later.
I will only eat this as a treat or a need (bread need you know)
not every day or even every week since I can see myself eating way to much to keep it good for me...lol
  #165   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 05:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254.0/254.0/140.0 Female 60
BF:
Progress:

I just made this last night, was very good. I am a little confused on the size of plastic container though, I used a square one about 4 x 4 , is quite deep . The bread rose a little , but only about 2 inches if that , so i just sliced in like fingers...I dont know how to get 8 slices out of this though. I guess it must be in the size of container. can anyone help on this ...so quick and useful I want to make again